cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussions

Watchtower_GM
Adept II

Opinions and ideas needed for the next build.

I still have a few details to finish on the present build. However it's that time of year and I need to dedicate some brain power the next one.

So why the call for help?
There is an endless amount of information available on gaming computers but that's not the goal this time. It's a, umh ... browser/cloud/work, ah...station ?? So hypothetically let's say I'm not well organized and my non-gaming computer has like a 100 to 150 tabs open at any given time. I'm not even sure what that type of computer is called I just refer to it as "the old laptop".

Visually I sort of have it figured out but I'm not exactly sure of the specifications for this one. Low latency and lots of RAM? I don't know that's why the... 

Call for help! How would you guys set up this build?

*custom chassis of course

16 Replies
eebiii
Forerunner

I have put this list out a couple times, but no one will bite on it. 

If you build this and switch out for new gen parts or use high end AM4 parts, either way it will look SICK!!!!

And if you're really willing to go above and beyond there would be room to fit and water cool a PS5 as part of your loops. Dual system with ps5 built in. AWESOME!!

Dream Build 1.jpgDream Build 2.jpg

Two systems on the same water cooling would be interesting setup.

I couldn't do that if I even if I wanted to. I do have a couple of build lists with very custom water cooling but that does not make me in any way qualified to even attempt it. 

I know where your coming from,  you just got a great idea,  the reality would be so awesome if you could just get it there. How hard would it be to do a mock-up?

This list is insane. A dream list. I would have a smile on my face this entire build. You could always build your own desk to save a little money, but I would really have to be motivated to do that. Plus, all the cool aftermarket parts they have for the Lian-li desk would be hard to pass up.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I would first consider the monitor.  A 34" monitor would give you lots of real estate for all those browser tabs you want to have open.  The graphics card would need to be decent, but not to the level of the 7900XT.  Maybe a 7700XT or something in the 6,000 series?  I would go with the AM4 platform and get a bundle deal on the CPU, motherboard and RAM.  Maybe you'll want to increase the RAM to 64GB by adding a few more sticks too.  The PSU should be at least 750 Watts.  Now for the case.....you'll come up with something.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

First, I am more than willing to spend a little more on the monitor, IF, it's worth the money. This morning they delivered a new 2560 x 1440P QHD for the build I'm trying to finish and it's officially the most expensive monitor I've ever bought. I wanted to respond earlier but my bottlenecking knowledge is pretty shallow and I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious about the choice of monitor.
Next, I should give some details about my plans.
At this very moment I've got about 10 windows going with give or take 10 to 15 tabs each and honestly this is pretty typical. However I'm mostly just using one tab at a time and hopping back and forth.
So the way I'm using it, just not smart enough to understand how more screen would help, as its very rare to have several tabs opened up on the screen simultaneously. My wife's got about 30 years in IT but if I ask her opinion the answer will be 3 screens.
With no gaming but a ton of browsing I really don't know where to go with the graphics card. If I can't figure this out I will probably default to budget side of AMD 6,000s. AM4 socket is basically a lock as that's where I have the most experience.
Last but definitely not least...
At the moment I currently see memory taking the lead as most important component. Probably some GSkill low latency 32 gig DIMMs, buy a 4-pack, decide how much to use as I go.

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hmm...

Let's take a clearer, pragmatic approach. If you don't mind, consider/answer the following:

1 - Purpose. Looks like you're looking to build a non-gaming rig. Correct? (Y/N)

2 - Budget. How much are you planning to spend on components? (Will a new monitor be part of the project?)

3 - Components. Are you planning to reuse existing components you may have already? (AM4 vs. AM5)?

4 - Form factor. Full ATX, Mid-Tower ATX, Micro ATX, Mini ATX or Desktop?

5 - Theme. Are you planning to customize/build the case from the ground up? 

5a - Are you looking for theme ideas? (I'm sure the guys here will have tons of ideas).

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

Excellent response !! ...build a sounding board and make me think in directions I had not considered.

1 - Purpose. Looks like you're looking to build a non-gaming rig. Correct? (Y/N)

Correct
Old gaming rig is still in daily use.
New gaming rig has been up for about a week but still needs a few tweaks.
ALL non-gaming activities are relegated to other devices. For example this response is being written on what's affectionately known as the old laptop.

2 - Budget. How much are you planning to spend on components? (Will a new monitor be part of the project?)

Usually I'm willing to dedicate a couple thousand for a good computer.
Could be wishful thinking but I thought this one would come in at considerably less. Tower components for under a $1000 would be a goal of this build.
The monitor would be new but I was thinking a 15 to 17 inch portable monitor for under $200. I may have to rethink that. Monitor wouldn't be counted against the component budget.

3 - Components. Are you planning to reuse existing components you may have already? (AM4 vs. AM5)?

I do have some old components around here but for the most part I try to leave my problems behind me. No offense to the Cutting Edge guys but I'm just not ready for AM5. That's a wine that I'd like to see age a little more before I try it. Currently the CPU is a question mark, which will affect the cooling, motherboard and other choices. Don't think storage is important.

4 - Form factor. Full ATX, Mid-Tower ATX, Micro ATX, Mini ATX or Desktop?

I just love the way you ask this question. Little over a year ago while doing some research I was infected with a burning passion to consume as much information as possible on the subject of the custom computer chassis.

5 - Theme. Are you planning to customize/build the case from the ground up?

YES
Full-Tower, Mid-Tower, etc, just doesn't motivate me at the moment.
These days I try to wrap my mind around the idea of a sort of Watch-Tower. Open air, wall mount, out of the box, sort of deal.
I don't want to drop a few thousand dollars on my daily driver and then it in a box and only see it through the glass window. That's how I see my old gaming rigs and it's just not satisfying me anymore.

5a - Are you looking for theme ideas? (I'm sure the guys here will have tons of ideas).

My first thought is dark and ominous but we will just see how it goes. Failure can often be quite insightful.

"Failure can often be quite insightful." - I guess you mean that the case design can evolve through a few iterations until you are happy with it.  I know what you mean about hiding everything behind glass and it's just not as impressive as the components that are in your face.  Check out TOTB-2 and give this case design some thought.  You'll need a place to mount the plywood base though.....

Air cooling your CPU works even better with an open chassis design.Air cooling your CPU works even better with an open chassis design.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

* yes iteration is exactly what I meant.

... and WOW that is sweet, I'm usually not much for the tall air coolers. 

You know if you increase the scale, it could easily be mistaken for a small engine,  and I have a build list somewhere for Jays Mower bot.

PCmower.jpg

Watchtower_GM
Adept II

This is where the current thought process has taken so far ...

CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
AMD Wraith​ (maybe depends on the mockup)

Motherboard
Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AM4 Motherboard

Memory
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Storage
Acer Predator GM7000 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card
XFX QICK 308 Black Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Case
*Custom

Power Supply
Flex​ ATX Power​ Supply 60​0W

Current Total: $1149.96

Watchtower_GM
Adept II

This is where the current thought process has taken so far ...

CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
AMD Wraith (maybe depends on the mockup)

Motherboard
Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AM4 Motherboard

Memory
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Storage
Acer Predator GM7000 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card
XFX QICK 308 Black Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Case
*Custom

Power Supply
Flex ATX Power Supply 600W

Current Total: $1149.96

eebiii
Forerunner

In my humble opinion, I wouldn't use any PSU below 850w for your build (Specs).

I'm usually a big fan of overkill " let's face it anything worth doing is worth overdoing" but finding a fully modular Flex ATX over 600W seems to be a no-go. For a system that part picker claims will pull 470w I'm hoping to slip by since it's a non-gaming rig.

I've seen several builds that had trouble with modern video cards / CPUs, using a small wattage PSU.  A brand name 600 Watt unit might be fine, but I too recommend more power.  It's not going to burn more power of course, it will only supply the current required by the load.

Watchtower_GM
Adept II

I'll give it some serious thought, maybe I can find a server unit or something, somewhere. I'm hoping to start looking at a mock up sometime this week.  *Suppose I could look into lowering power demands too, currently...

Processor tdp is 105 W

VideoCard tdp is 165 W

Good morning @Watchtower_GM . I just sent you a Private Message! Check your inbox!

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT