Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level-Up

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
1 26 5,412

But, nothing worked.  I tried all three CPUs in this B350 motherboard and then I realized that the motherboard wasn't going to recognize these CPUs until it had a BIOS update (the Gigabyte website said these CPUs would work).  But alas, I could not do a BIOS update on this motherboard without a working CPU to start with.  I wasn't going to tear one of my old machines apart to get to an earlier Ryzen CPU, so instead I ordered a new Asus X570+ motherboard from Amazon (It arrived the same day!).  I tried the AMD 3950X CPU in the new Asus motherboard and no joy.  Apparently this CPU is dead.  So, I put in the AMD 3600X CPU and it finally booted into the BIOS.  Soon I had Windows 11 installed (remember to enable firmware ftm in the BIOS for Windows 11) and now I can proceed with the build into the case.

So now you see the importance of building up the system outside of the case.  I would have been pretty upset pulling the motherboard out of the case multiple times as I swapped the CPU.  This next week I will get the components into the old Thermaltake Level-10 GT case (which I will now call 'Level-Up' as a new gaming machine on my LAN).   

This case has 5.25 inch bays, so I can use some older Cooler Master parts and optical drives.This case has 5.25 inch bays, so I can use some older Cooler Master parts and optical drives.The original components (new monitor not shown here).The original components (new monitor not shown here).Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB was mounted and removed multiple times!Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB was mounted and removed multiple times!Initial build up.Initial build up.No joy here.  I just got the 'CPU' error LED on the motherboard.No joy here. I just got the 'CPU' error LED on the motherboard.Trying the AMD Ryzen 3600X CPU, this time with a new motherboard.Trying the AMD Ryzen 3600X CPU, this time with a new motherboard.Looking good!  The LED error lights sequenced through their checks to a green LED.Looking good! The LED error lights sequenced through their checks to a green LED.And we are into the BIOS of the new Asus X570+ motherboard.And we are into the BIOS of the new Asus X570+ motherboard.

26 Comments
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

This looks so cool. I love that case.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I'm not sure what mods I will do to the case before this build is completed - maybe some more RGB stuff.  Both of the large fans have LED lighting already.  I might move the bay devices around a bit too.  There is plenty of room for more storage devices, but I don't plan to use spinning hard drives.  I've moved away from those for over a year now and I'm only using them in my USB backup drives.  

This will be a gaming machine (the monitor supports 170 Hz) so it's not a personal use computer.  I want it to perform though, so there's a nice mouse and keyboard using the iCue software.

This next week I'll be looking at the case and deciding what goes into it and perhaps, what comes out.

Suggestions?  Should I cut any holes and if so, for what?

If you have a recommended solution for some bracket to support the video card, please let me know.  That might be an issue here.

Weber462
Challenger

oh, i like this alot.  Are there fans mounted on left side (when looking at front) where the case protrudes out?  Man, i really like sleeper cases, i wish i would have kept all of mine from the early days.  I really like it the way it is, I'm personally pretty anti RGB (just my opinion). 

Edit:  i just saw the other picture of the open case.  and the mounted fan.   maybe you would mount a 120/140 in front of PSU pulling air from bottom?  other then that i think it looks really good.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

That might be a good idea - mount an intake fan in front of the PSU.  This case will be sitting on carpet, so maybe another good idea is a small platform for it to sit on.  You know - those RGB mats that you place under your keyboard and mice - well, one of those could give it an interesting appeal.  You see, I do like RGB.

Weber462
Challenger

In that case i wonder what a RGB strip on bottom of case would look.  Might be cool giving the bottom a glow.  The whole thing looks perforated.   I also wonder if something could be done with the window on left panel to give it a more "industrial look".  maybe a steel mesh, or something with a fan or 2 mounted inside.  This is just me rambling.  lol  i have a tendency to make things overly difficult/complicated.  what on top?  Able to mount any fans etc on there?

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

There is an exhaust fan on top.  

I do like the idea of RGB lighting outside the case, on the bottom.  The extended LED mousepad and some RGB LED strips under the case would just about blind most gamers, so I should give it a try.  

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I've done external lighting before, even using cold cathode tubes.  This Monolith looked pretty cool on the wooden floor in our den before I gave it away to our daughter.

Massive case from Newegg.Massive case from Newegg.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Lot's of progress today!  I started by opening up the box for the new 1440p 32" 170 Hz curved gaming monitor.

It's a big box you see.It's a big box you see.The backside even has some style.The backside even has some style.This is where the action will take place.This is where the action will take place.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I spent some time adding in that extra 120mm intake fan on the bottom of the case.  Then I added another 120mm fan to the backside as another exhaust fan.  Both of these are not RGB fans though.  The only ones I have on hand are 140mm, but this case basically has lots of RGB going on anyway, so no big whup.  I mounted the PSU, which fortunately fit in-between the supports that Thermaltake had pop-riveted into the case.  If it was a bigger PSU, I would have to drill those pop-rivets out.  Luck was on my side today.

The monitor is set on the glass gaming table.  You can see part of my planned RGB lighting from the mouse pad on the floor (it's on top of a wooden shelf).The monitor is set on the glass gaming table. You can see part of my planned RGB lighting from the mouse pad on the floor (it's on top of a wooden shelf).The bottom 120mm fan is installed.The bottom 120mm fan is installed.The PSU is now installed.  Lots of power cables to tuck away.The PSU is now installed. Lots of power cables to tuck away.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I had a 1/2 TB SSD on hand that will be a gaming SSD for this build.  It was less than $50 at MicroCenter, so why not give it a try?  I would not use a cheap SSD as a system drive but as a data drive for just games, it's ok.  Games are something you can download again from Steam if the drive goes belly-up.  

Regarding the RGB lighting under the case, besides the RGB mousepad I was already going to use, I decided to go with the same RGB strips I used in my 'Talk to the hand' build.  This is a set of three magnetic strips that connect together and then plug into your motherboard addressable RGB header.  The box for this 'Airgoo' kit is shown at the beginning of this blog with other components.  It's cheap and it works well.  The case is metal and these strips stick just fine.  I had to pull the filter out to let them stick to the case, as well as give me a hole for their connectors to fit through to the inside.  It worked without cutting anything.

A 1/2 Terabyte SSD for games.  The cost was under $50.A 1/2 Terabyte SSD for games. The cost was under $50.The bottom of the case where the air filter resides.  I had to remove this filter though....The bottom of the case where the air filter resides. I had to remove this filter though.......to allow for the RGB LED strips to mount and pass their connectors through to the inside of the case....to allow for the RGB LED strips to mount and pass their connectors through to the inside of the case.

About the Author
I've been building and modding computers since the year 2000. My first computer was an Osborne Executive in 1983. That makes me old but I still build a machine (only AMD-based computers) once a year for fun.