cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

msoltyspl
Journeyman III

Why not use CPU Sets for soft affinity on 7950x3d (instead of the current approach) ?

Current (convoluted) approach - as on-the-fly changing core order preference and parking ccd1 if the game is detected (for people using fully automated setup - so the most recent drivers, gamebar "tool" and so on).

Doesn't cpu sets support the whole thread scheduling natively in a more fine-grained (per-process) way ?

If I'm reading correctly what e.g. Process Lasso supports (see cpu sets) - wouldn't the behavior such as:

- core parking - N/A or turned off
- high frequency cores preferred by default
- when gamebar detects a game, put it in ccd0 dedicated cpu-set; no need to update core order and/or park anything on ccd1

Or even better: expand Ryzen Master tool with game profiles (which you can copy-paste from radeon drivers) - with default behavior of ccd0 cpuset for known games (and ccd1 set or 'none' for well known exceptions like CS:GO), but leaving in user's hands basic editing/adding capabilities (xbox game bar is rather lacking in this context). And let people use both soft affinity (sets) and hard affinity as they see fit ?

Is there some reason why this approach wasn't chosen ?

0 Likes
1 Reply
msoltyspl
Journeyman III

Hmmm, having quickly tested that on my 3900x with cb20 (set to 8 rendering threads) and with that lasso tool (created set for 4 cpus) - "the golden goose" I though that feature would be turned out not so great - it literally behaved like hard affinity (unless I was doing something wrong).

0 Likes