Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ryanh1
Journeyman III

WHEA-Logger (Event 18) On new PC

Hello,

I purchased a pre-build machine as I wasn't able to get a 3070 GPU for RRP and had to upgrade anyway. First time going with AMD, instead of Intel.

I tried loading Call of Duty Warzone and the machine crashes instantly (otherwise PC generally runs ok).

Event log shows the following:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 4

The details view of this entry contains further information.

I have looked online and there's lots of talk about this, but nothing really signalling how to fix this, and I don't have much experience with issues such as this. The BIOS looks like things such as RAM voltages and things have been modified (2666 -> 3200 also). I tried reverting the BIOS settings to defaults and also updated the Chipset drivers and anything else which looked even remotely out of date. The only BIOS update I see available is a beta version which lists a USB fix so didn't bother installing.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X

GPU: 3070 (MSI)

Mobo: PRIME A520M-K

Can anyone please help me out? I am so reluctant to send back as I have waited a while for this to be sent out, and it's almost the weekend so I had some gaming planned (plus sending back = no PC until it's resolved). Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Reply
lakesideguy
Adept II

This has been seen on my system as well but I noted it didn't start until BIOS update with AGESA 1.2.0.1 Patch A.

If you don't have the USB issue then don't install that.  The other im looking at is if HWINFO is causing it.

I did extensive testing on it and upgrading parts at the same time.  I'm seeing it on a 3900XT system and ASUS also.

However, again, it was fine before I noticed moving to the patch A bios on my motherboard.   I have an Nvidia 1070Ti some have said it's video card related to AMD.  I'm not seeing that so far.

Check out my post and see if it helps along with flashing your BIOS to the recommended stable one below.

Ryzen 9 3900XT - WHEA event "A fatal hardware erro... - AMD Community

In your case I'd suggest rolling back to this BIOS (to see it make sure you click show more there's more on that page):

Version 2003
2021/03/26 19.75 MBytes

PRIME A520M-K BIOS 2003
"- Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.1
- Support Smart Access Memory for Ryzen 3000 Series Processors
- Fix the L3 cache performance in AIDA64
- Improved system performance
- Improved system compatibility
- Improved memory performance"

0 Likes