cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

bakerresearcher
Journeyman III

Virtualization on a Ryzen 5 3500U laptop

I am looking for a new laptop and I am rather surprised that I cannot find detailed product sheets on the processors when compared to the Intel website.

I am interested in a Ryzen 5 based laptop and I see posts that state the Ryzen 5 processor supports virtualization.  I cannot confirm that the Ryzen 5 3500U or any Ryzen laptop actually supports AMD-VI and AMD-V.

0 Likes
1 Solution
sinatosk
Journeyman III

No not yet as I'm using Linux and there are bugs with AMD's kernel space driver amdgpu which is preventing me ( and others ) to suspend/resume my laptop correctly, affecting quite alot of people ( from where I've been reading ) and disabling iommu specfic to AMD is helping on that but ofcourse that is leading to other issues/restrictions

I've not actually tested virtualization yet on this laptop

We need to get AMD to fix issues with amdgpu, amd iommu

Linux 5.2.9 has just been released ( compiled and installed that ) and that has some fixes related to amd hardware but still needs more

I don't use windows

View solution in original post

3 Replies
sinatosk
Journeyman III

I have a HP Pavilion 15-cw1507sa which has an AMD Ryzen 5 3500U and there is an option in this BIOS/UEFI to enable virtualization

Thank you for your response.  I am curious if you are using any Virtualization such as Oracle's Virtual Box or VMWare.

0 Likes
sinatosk
Journeyman III

No not yet as I'm using Linux and there are bugs with AMD's kernel space driver amdgpu which is preventing me ( and others ) to suspend/resume my laptop correctly, affecting quite alot of people ( from where I've been reading ) and disabling iommu specfic to AMD is helping on that but ofcourse that is leading to other issues/restrictions

I've not actually tested virtualization yet on this laptop

We need to get AMD to fix issues with amdgpu, amd iommu

Linux 5.2.9 has just been released ( compiled and installed that ) and that has some fixes related to amd hardware but still needs more

I don't use windows