cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ABNormal1960
Journeyman III

Upgrade ASROCK B450M Pro 4 mobo from Ryzen 5 1600 to Ryzen 5600G question

Subject says it all, but I am not sure of the steps.

My current BIOS version is the highest one for the CPU I currently have.

If I just put in the new CPU/APU (Ryzen 5 5600G), I get no HDMI output from either the on-board graphics or my MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB OC GPU. So I can't see any BIOS screen. CPU and case fans startup then shut down and it seems like it just keeps restarting over and over.

If I put my old CPU in, all is good.

I have the new BIOS on a Thumbdrive to flash with. I suppose I power down. Remove power cord, install new CPU/APU; insert the thumbdrive with the new BIOS on it and then power up and let the Mobo do it's thing?

I just don't want to get into a situation where my MOB has a BIOS version that won't work with my old CPU and I brick it or something.

Is my plan on how to upgrade this CPU/APU correct as I outlined above?

Thanks everyone for your help. 

0 Likes
2 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

Have you watched any video about changing BIOS or read any instructions? Why do you assume old CPU stops working after installimg new BIOS - does it say so at Asrocks page? I did not see any mention of such. Also BIOS does not instal itself, nor does motherboard. Usually you have to do it from BIOS, but other options exist depending on motherboard.

It is recommended to set BIOS to default settings, then flash BIOS and then change CPU. 

0 Likes

According to ASRock Support CPU LIST for your Motherboard you will need to have BIOS version P5.00 installed.

But since you have a Ryzen 1600 and you still can use it that means you have BIOS version P3.50 which doesn't support the new 5600G APU processor.

So you have a decision to make. Install BIOS Version P5.00 or newer and lose support for your Ryzen 1600 or keep BIOS version P3.50 and keep your new APU Processor as a paperweight or a backup for the future.

When you install the 5600g with the Nvidia GPU card BIOS should still make the GPU card the Main Display Adapter rather than your AMD Integrated Graphics.

Therefore the first thing I would do if you have BIOS version P5.00 installed with the 5600G processor installed is do a CMOS CLEAR to set BIOS back to factory default settings and to recognize your new APU.

If you still get no Video output during POST or BIOS making sure the Monitor is connected to your GPU Card wait a few minutes and see if you get Video Output when it is loading Windows.

Unless, as you mentioned, it keeps cycling during POST.

In that case I would remove all the RAM sticks and just install one RAM stick in DIMM Slot 2 and see if it boots up normally into Windows. If it does that means the RAM you have is not fully compatible with your new APU processor.

Check ASRock Motherboard QVL List for the 5000 series APUs and see if your RAM is listed. The closest QVL List is for Renoir since there is no Cezanne list from here: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M%20Pro4/index.asp#MemoryRN

0 Likes