cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cpurick
Journeyman III

Testing CPU?

I have two open 7900X CPUs. Need to send one back. How do I decide which one to keep?

0 Likes
6 Replies

Okay you have 2 7900X processors and you need to send one back.

Did you buy these processors used? or just "Open Box" type?

If both are new then flip a coin to determine which one to send back.

If both are used the only way to check them is by installing them and booting up and running CPU stress tests or take both to a Computer shop and have them tested for you. Can be expensive though.

If you didn't personally purchase these 2 AMD CPUs and were given to you then the 3 year AMD Warranty is voided. Only the original Purchaser can turn in the CPU under Warranty.

Otherwise clarify your original Post to be more specific in why you need to know which CPU to return.

cpurick
Journeyman III

They both work, the problem was the motherboard. The vendor will take them back opened. Should I bother trying to figure out which one is better before sending one back?

0 Likes

If both are the same CPUs and both work fine than just flip a coin to decide which one to send back.

Unless one was given to you or is used and the other you bought. I would keep the one you bought and send back the used one since it isn't under AMD Warranty.

If both were purchased by you and both are the same why do you believe one would be better than the other one?

Did you purchase both at the same time or is one a replacement?

0 Likes

There is definitely variation. Some will run cooler, some can be pushed faster. Asus indicates that the CPU memory access performance can limit the RAM speed a processor will work with. Some single chiplet 7600/7700 processors are actually 7900/7950 rejects under the cover.

0 Likes

Well in that case you will need to install both CPUs and test them to find out which one you like.

Too me, in my opinion,  I would choose either one knowing that I have 3 years to test the processor out or send it in under RMA to AMD to test and replace.

So you can follwo marinesquire advice to find out which one has the best silicon chips in it.

whatever you decide,

Good luck on your choice.

0 Likes
marinesquirel
Adept III

You could test the overclocks for both and see which one won that sweet silicone lottery. My Ryzen 7 won, I have it overclocked to 4.9.