Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

grenpara
Adept I

Ryzen CPU question

Hello,

I have a Ryzen 5 3600 (Matisse) and I want to upgrade cpu.

What is the best Ryzen (Matisse) cpu for gaming and video editing?

I need it to be a Matisse as I can install it without needing to reinstall windows.

Thanks

Gren

0 Likes
1 Solution

I agree with @red5. No need to reinstall Windows just do a Clear CMOS to set your Motherboard BIOS to Default.

as mentioned you can upgrade to whichever processor is listed on your Motherboard's CPU SUPPORT LIST. Just make sure you update your Motherboard BIOS to the latest to make sure it supports your new processor.

Also once you choose your new Processor check to see if your current RAM Memory is listed as being compatible with the new Processor via the Motherboard's QVL List for your Processor.

If it isn't then just go ahead and install the new Processor and see if it boots up normally without any error concerning your RAM Memory.

As mention, depending on which Processor you upgrade too you need to see what its TDP Rating is. Your Ryzen 5 3600 Processor has a TDP rating of 65 Watts so if the new processor has the same TDP ratings your CPU Cooler should be able to keep your new processor from overheating. But if you purchase a processor with a TDP rating of 105 Watts you will probably need to upgrade your CPU Cooler unless your CPU Cooler is rated at a TDP above 150 Watts or higher.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
red5
Miniboss

You won't need to reinstall Windows because you've changed processors. As long as your motherboard will support a 5000 series processor you could look at the 5700X, 5800X, 5900X, and 5950X. Your budget will dictate what you get. All of those would be a decent upgrade from a 3600

**EDIT**  although your current cooler 'might' work, chances are you'll need to upgrade depending on what you're using.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1085972132004991
Discord https://discord.gg/pttrmDpeVN

Hello Miniboss,

Thanks for the fast reply to my question.

My motherboard handles lots of CPU's  https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450%20Steel%20Legend/index.asp#CPU

I was told thou that if i left Matisse line Windows would need to be reinstalled.

I was also told I would need to update bios to depending on the cpu.

But if I can use any cpu without windows reinstall that makes thinks much easyier.
I guess I would need to install new chipset drivers before i make the switch to new CPU?
Thou same MOBO I guess the chipset drivers depend on the CPU or so ASRock told me before.

Thanks

Gren

0 Likes

I agree with @red5. No need to reinstall Windows just do a Clear CMOS to set your Motherboard BIOS to Default.

as mentioned you can upgrade to whichever processor is listed on your Motherboard's CPU SUPPORT LIST. Just make sure you update your Motherboard BIOS to the latest to make sure it supports your new processor.

Also once you choose your new Processor check to see if your current RAM Memory is listed as being compatible with the new Processor via the Motherboard's QVL List for your Processor.

If it isn't then just go ahead and install the new Processor and see if it boots up normally without any error concerning your RAM Memory.

As mention, depending on which Processor you upgrade too you need to see what its TDP Rating is. Your Ryzen 5 3600 Processor has a TDP rating of 65 Watts so if the new processor has the same TDP ratings your CPU Cooler should be able to keep your new processor from overheating. But if you purchase a processor with a TDP rating of 105 Watts you will probably need to upgrade your CPU Cooler unless your CPU Cooler is rated at a TDP above 150 Watts or higher.

Hello,

Ok I checked and my cooler and its TDP is 200W.

Will decided on CPU shortly.

Thanks for the help
Gren

Yep, your water cooling setup should handle whichever cpu you choose. I don't know if you have a Microcenter near you, but they generally have the best deals on processors. The 5900X was $370 last weekend at my local Microcenter.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1085972132004991
Discord https://discord.gg/pttrmDpeVN
0 Likes

After researching Asrock's site, if your BIOS is version 3.70 your good to go with the 5900X, 5950X, or the 5800X chips. 

As I stated in my previous reply, it appears that you won't have to do a reinstall.

I would definitely recommend the 5000 Vermeer Series cpu.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

Hey,

Thanks for all the fast replies and help with my questions, I really appreciate it.

My cooler is ML240L RGB V2. if that matters.
I dont need top CPU but what a better one.

How do I know what CPU is good for the cooler I have as it is only 8 months or so old?

Thanks

Gren

0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

That depends solely on how much you are willing to spend.

A Ryzen 9 5900X (12 core - 24 thread) will run you roughly $420

A Ryzen 9 5950X (16 core -32 thread) will run you roughly $590

Gen 3 CPU's cost more than the 5000 series so I would go with the 5000 series CPU's.

A Ryzen 7 3rd Gen 3800X  (Matisse) CPU only will run you about $220 (New Egg).  The only down side is that your still stuck with a Gen 3 CPU.

You didn't say if you had liquid or air cooling.  If you have the Prizm cooler you would probably be OK if you don't overclock.

A Ryzen 7 5800X (Vermeer Series) CPU only can be bought for about $290. (New Egg)

Since they are both AM4 socket, are you certain that you would need to reinstall windows from the Matisse Series to the Vermeer Series.  If I'm going to upgrade I would prefer to move to the next series.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"