Adept I

Ryzen 9 7950X slow boot at RAM speeds above 4800MHZ

PC:

MOBO: MSI X670-P Wifi

CPU: Ryzen 9 7950X

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 5600

GPU: EVGA RTX3080

PSU: Corsair RM850e

My PC is having issues with incredibly slow boots times when trying to run my RAM at any speeds over 4800MHZ. 

When attempting to restart my PC or apply new BIOS settings, my PC will take an absurd amount of time to boot, an average of between 5-7 minutes. The entire time, the motherboard has the DRAM yellow LED illuminated. Around 1/3 of the time, the PC will not boot at all, and instead crash around 8 minutes. This is all occurring before POST finishes.

Things I’ve tried:
- Manually setting memory speeds.
- Disabling Fast Boot.
- BIOS update: versions tried (7D67V10, 7D67V14, 7D67V19, 7D67V1A2, 7D67V1A5)
- Run Memtest86: All 100% PASS results.
- Run Windows Memory Diagnostic: No errors found/repairs made.
- Cleaning RAM contacts and DIMM slots.
- Running 1 stick at a time and tried in each slot.
- Using a brand new set of RAM of the same model number.
- Resetting CMOS.
- A litany of other suggestions I’ve found from users with similar problems.

The PC also has issues of hanging when trying to awaken from Sleep: chassis lights will turn on but no signal to peripherals. Red CPU LED and yellow DRAM LED are on. I've determined this is likely a BIOS issue as BIOS versions from before X3D support do not exhibit this issue.

Anyone else encounter this problem? It's incredibly disappointing to be unable to run my RAM at advertised speeds.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Cytofusion
Adept I

Finally got the chance to fully change my CPU. Changed for my original 7950X to a brand new 7950X3D and the problem is completely gone. Definitely some sort of memory controller issue with my original CPU, though it was undetectable by any method that was suggested to me for detecting hardware problems. So that was a nightmare… But it’s finally over. Guess we’ll see how I like the X3D life. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Is the memory kit on the QVL? 

Have you tried another memory kit? Can you still RMA?

The Englishman
0 Likes

It is indeed listed as compatible. My exact kit model number is CMK32GX5M2B5600C36 ver4.43.02 which is listed on MSI's compatibility list on page 7 for my motherboard. I have tried an identical memory kit of the same model number. I genuinely would not know how to RMA as I did not personally build the PC, so I'm not sure if I would have to RMA through AMD themselves or through where I purchased it. 

Edit: It seems there are no brands other than Kingston Fury and a couple others listed on AMD's own compatibility page for RAM for the AM5 slot? Is this true?

I have ordered a new kit from both MSI's and AMD's compatibility list (I was planning to upgrade soon anyways.) We shall see if this improves the boot timings. Thank you for your input.

0 Likes
Cytofusion
Adept I

Update:

I have swapped out and replaced every single hardware component on this PC except for the CPU and the problem persists in every iteration. My new Mobo is displaying error code 00 when this issue occurs. I have concluded that my particular 7950X simply is not stable with memory clocks above 4800mhz. This is incredibly disappointing as it’s not even reaching the advertised 5200mhz, let alone the confirmed stable 6000mhz. Would RMA be my best option here or am I just stuck with a dud CPU?

0 Likes
Cytofusion
Adept I

Finally got the chance to fully change my CPU. Changed for my original 7950X to a brand new 7950X3D and the problem is completely gone. Definitely some sort of memory controller issue with my original CPU, though it was undetectable by any method that was suggested to me for detecting hardware problems. So that was a nightmare… But it’s finally over. Guess we’ll see how I like the X3D life.