cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ryzen 9 7900X High temp. on games

My CPU reaches 72º at desktop or browsing (mozilla/chrome), but, gaming it reaches 95º on almost every game, any help? By software or replacing coolers?

My CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Toughliquid 240 ARGB Sync 240mm

First photo, MSI Afterburner with Alan Wake 2:

Alan Wake 2 MSI Afterburner.png

Second photo, MSI Afterburner with Valorant:

Valorant MSI Afterburner.png

19 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

TheBatLantern07, since I know nothing about the free application you are using I do not trust it. Please run Cinebench and post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM). Please use a posting site so it will be readable; I use postimage. Also post a a SS of RM at idle along with all your parts. Please do a Clear CMOS before. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hello, sorry for answer late, i have an error with ryzen master, i tried to install it from it own page, but it doesn't install at all, this is the error, i tried to reinstall it a few times:

TheBatLantern07_0-1707233099321.png

0 Likes

Thanks, TheBatLantern07, That is an old error and I do not know why AMD has not fixed it. What do you mean by "...install it from it own page..."? Please try to uninstall it, then DL it from here, and install it. If that still fails please try Revo. It is a paid application but has a free trial. I bought a copy and like it. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I downloaded the ryzen master from that link befor, but the error is the same.

I have just used revo to uninstall the program, and then, i tried to reinstall the ryzen master, but the error keeps.

TheBatLantern07_0-1707239586931.png

0 Likes

thanks, TheBatLantern07. sorry, I will open another RM support request. Enjoy, John.

is this W11 or W10?

W11 is very poor and still not optimized, i tried it twice for the past 1 year and i only had problems and converted back to W10!

0 Likes

I have windows 10, the program is giving error anytime when i install it

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi there,

you are rocking a 240 AIO solution and if not well optimized, same for the CPU, its just not enough.

Check here the recomended coolers for your CPU
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/cpu-cooler-solution 

johnnyenglish_0-1707239537053.png

As you can see, 280 or 360 is the best option for your 7900X

What can you do?

I'm using a 240 RoG Ryujin AIO on my 7950X, the first thing I've checked is the static pressure for the radiator fans, some AIO don't even bundle the right fans or people replace them for inadequate ones. Increase the pump a bit and tweak your CPU with Curve Optimizer and/or Offset Undervolt.

You can also activate Eco Mode or lower to a custom PPT values during gaming sessions as you won't loose that much fps.

Another last resort is PUSH/PULL configuration on the radiator.

But in the end, I think you may have to upgrade your AIO solution.

Good Luck

The Englishman

Thanks for the support, i did not see that page recommending coolers for the cpu when i bought the pc, i will upgrade the cooler, and to activate the eco mode i need the ryzen master app or any software by amd, thanks

0 Likes

TheBatLantern07, I would suggest you wait until we conclude exactly what your temperatures are before you start spending money. Enjoy, John.

Ok, i will wait your solution if it helps to not replace the cooler, thanks

0 Likes
Angeluk
Challenger

Undervolt it and you will be fine

I tried to undervolt it with the BIOS, i wrote at Precision Boost Overdrive this settings:

PPT Limit: 120000

TDC Limit: 90000

EDC Limit: 160000

At the curve optimizer>All cores>Negative>30.

And the CPU Vcore: 1.265V

PD: My BIOS does not have the eco mode, my motherboard is Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX.

0 Likes

It helps a bit with games without risking too much FPS but it seems i need another cooler, thanks for the help.

0 Likes

I think its for the best, keeping a 170watt TDP on a 240 rad means a lot of tweaking for the best settings and temperatures. I know...

Try this: remove curve optimizer and use negative offset undervolting, not a manual fixed value. Something like -0.15v while keeping the PPT values. Should shave quite a bit if its stable.

Good luck 

The Englishman
0 Likes

I did that, now with cinebench, at the cpu multicore benchmark, it shutdowns the pc, it happens on a few games at max. settings too, so it needs less voltage? or less PPT/TDC/EDC levels? Because now i can't change the AIO

0 Likes

@TheBatLantern07 wrote:

so it needs less voltage?

No, it needs more, the offset reduces it. If -0.15v is reducing too much, try just -0.1v 

=Still Crashing?=

Try -0.7v.

=Solid?=

Then -0.8v till you get it stable.

Good Luck

The Englishman

AMD cpu are usually fine with cheap dual fan coolers I run mine 7900X with a 40$ cooler. I dont undervolt the same way you do it, i only change the voltage and the clock speed. You can use the ryzen master and test with cinebench until you find your best settings. i have mine at 5.1 ghz at 1.065 volts. 40 degrees idle, 50 while gaming, and 77 degrees under continuous 100% workload.... i suggest you try the ryzen master after you find your best settings, just go to the bios and put these there

I will have that settings until i replace the AIO, with that voltage settings, it has better temperature than before at gaming with max settings or very high settings for example at RDR2 or Starfield:

RDR2 MSI AfterBurner.png

Starfield MSI Afterburner.png

0 Likes