cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Kataklysm
Journeyman III

Ryzen 9 5900X Freeze/Watchdog Violation Error

Previously I posted this issue in the ASUS community but after troubleshooting, I was recommended to ask here since my issue looks to be CPU related. My PC originally would generate the BSOD Watchdog Violation whenever it would be left idle. And then as of now it randomly does not load past the motherboard (ASUS Rog Strix x570-E gaming) splash screen when rebooting. Even then, within a few minutes of being in Windows, the PC will freeze. 

Remedies I have tried so far is run Windows 11 update repair tool, swap OS hard drive to attempt reinstalling Windows 11 (froze during that process), clear CMOS, reseating the CPU + Heatsink, run Memtest86+ but all tests passed without generating errors. Settings in BIOS set to defaults.

Any help would be great.

0 Likes
4 Replies
FunkZ
Paragon

Watchdog Violation blue screen errors are tied to hardware conflicts. Disconnect all unnecessary devices and attempt boot with only CPU, memory and primary OS drive on the motherboard. If still freezing, make a bootable USB drive and disconnect the primary OS drive to see if it will boot successfully from USB.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes
Kataklysm
Journeyman III

Tried the first setup with only CPU, memory and primary OS drive on mobo: removed GPU for this process and couldn't get my monitor to display plugging directly into iGPU. Brought the GPU back into the setup but also realized disconnecting the non-OS drive (SATA) would cause the PC not to come on. only the GPU and PSU would power up (a problem for another day). 

Next, removed OS drive and used a bootable USB with Windows 11 install on it. Was able to boot with it but it would freeze during the process of accepting TOS.

Any of this help in determining the issue?

0 Likes

@Kataklysm wrote:

Tried the first setup with only CPU, memory and primary OS drive on mobo: removed GPU for this process and couldn't get my monitor to display plugging directly into iGPU. Brought the GPU back into the setup but also realized disconnecting the non-OS drive (SATA) would cause the PC not to come on. only the GPU and PSU would power up (a problem for another day). 

Apologies for not calling out the GPU specifically, but yes as the 5900X does not have integrated graphics a discrete card must be installed.

What I read from the second sentence is that you have both an OS drive (possibly NVMe?) installed as well as a non-OS drive (SATA) which causes an issue when disconnected? The PC should be able to boot with NO drives attached, at least as far as entering Setup. (BIOS) It should also be able to boot from the Windows 11 USB without any other drives attached, you will not be able to install Windows obviously without a drive to install to, however it should not be freezing at the terms of service.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes
Kataklysm
Journeyman III

Right, it was able to bring up BIOS and I wanted to see if the pc would freeze during the initial process of the Windows setup before it would look for a hard drive to install on.

Yes, the OS drive is NVMe and the non-OS drive is SATA.

0 Likes