cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

richiewheels
Journeyman III

Ryzen 8700g Graphics Card

Am thinking of getting the 8700G card for a start up PC for my son.

Currently playing Fortnite at 1080p.

I am going to future proof it with DDR5 motherboard and RAM.:

ASUS PRIME B650M-A WIFI II DDR5 PCIe and 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR5 5200MHz Corsair Vengeance RAM. 

My question is - if I wanted to add a graphics card at a later date, would I just plug it in/power it up and it's ready to go?

Will the 8700G recognise the gpu and revert to the plugged in card - with no bottlenecking? 

Eyeing up the Radeon 7800XT Graphics card. 

Will be using an 850w gold rated power supply to cover the added graphics card. 

Any help/info would be appreciate.

Cheers! 

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Generally in BIOS Settings when you install a GPU Card when using a IGPU (Integrated Graphics - 8700G) BIOS will automatically assign your GPU card (RX 7800XT) as the Main Display Adapter and make your 8700g IGPU secondary Display Adapter.

Unless you manually changed the setting in BIOS to specifically make your 8700G IGPU the Main Display Adapter.

Depending on the GPU card you install, AMD or NVIDIA or INTEL, you will need to download its Graphics driver and install it after you first boot up into Windows with your new GPU Card. In this case you will need to download and install the AMD driver for your new GPU card.

Most likely that the 8700G Driver will be compatible with the RX7800XT so it should boot up with the AMD driver giving your video output from the GPU Card.

Bottlenecking occurs if your GPU card is too powerful or less powerful than your processor.  You can use this FPS/Bottleneck Website to determine how well your 8700G will work with your RX 7800XT GPU Card.

Just input your CPU, GPU, and RAM here: FPS & Bottleneck Calculator 

View solution in original post

Processor intense tasks is exactly that, when the software, either be a game (yes, there are CPU bound games) or programs like Adobe Lightroom (just an example). These will require less GPU or sometimes, nothing at all.

But if you have a 8700G then I believe gaming is what you seek the most.

The Englishman

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Generally in BIOS Settings when you install a GPU Card when using a IGPU (Integrated Graphics - 8700G) BIOS will automatically assign your GPU card (RX 7800XT) as the Main Display Adapter and make your 8700g IGPU secondary Display Adapter.

Unless you manually changed the setting in BIOS to specifically make your 8700G IGPU the Main Display Adapter.

Depending on the GPU card you install, AMD or NVIDIA or INTEL, you will need to download its Graphics driver and install it after you first boot up into Windows with your new GPU Card. In this case you will need to download and install the AMD driver for your new GPU card.

Most likely that the 8700G Driver will be compatible with the RX7800XT so it should boot up with the AMD driver giving your video output from the GPU Card.

Bottlenecking occurs if your GPU card is too powerful or less powerful than your processor.  You can use this FPS/Bottleneck Website to determine how well your 8700G will work with your RX 7800XT GPU Card.

Just input your CPU, GPU, and RAM here: FPS & Bottleneck Calculator 

Cheers for the info, much appreciated.

Seems to work OK for gaming activities. 

Quick question though - processor intense tasks.... What exactly does that refer too?

Does it mean it won't be able to cope with having too many programs open at the same time?

Or is it with heavy duty programs for modelling etc..?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes

Processor intense tasks is exactly that, when the software, either be a game (yes, there are CPU bound games) or programs like Adobe Lightroom (just an example). These will require less GPU or sometimes, nothing at all.

But if you have a 8700G then I believe gaming is what you seek the most.

The Englishman