cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

sbolton
Adept I

Ryzen 7900X is rebooting randomly

So, I have 2 Ryzen 7900x builds basically doing the same thing. They reboot at random times for no apparent reason. They do not get a BSOD. Ive tried multiple motherboards and have tried different RAM and still have the same problem. The BIOS has been updated and all drivers are current. Event Viewer does produce a kernal power event stating "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly" Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

15 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

Perhaps an early adopter problem with motherboard. Which brand do you use? 

Could be a PSU thing too.

I would disable power saving settings from BIOS and Windows. Do not use PBO or any other overclocking. You could try running memory at lower non-XMP/DOCP speed for testing and perhaps set a manual underclock and CPU voltage to CPU for testing purposes and see what happens. Most likely problem will be solved after some BIOS update.

EDIT: Have you tried another wall socket if there are spikes or undervolt coming from wall (if they are connected to same wall socket or worse yet, extension cord).

Thanks for the response. I will go ahead and try what you listed. I have tried the pc on another wall socket and surge protector and got the same result. Thanks again for the suggestions! I will go and test them out. 

What is your Power Supply Unit? Check you power cables. Keep an eye on the 12v, 5v and 3.3v reading in the bios. If any of those are low even by just a slight amount it could be why your system is rebooting.

Thanks for the response! I have an EVGA 850W GT power supply. I will go and check those readings in the bios and make sure they arent low. Thanks again!

Assafm25
Journeyman III

Hello,

I am in the problem 

AMD ryzer 9 7900x

Gigabyte E650B

32x2 memory sticks by crossir

1000w psu by crossair

Gtx 3080ti

Artic freeze 360

Random BSOD , try different BIOS versions , RMA from motherboard and memory but still get the randomly BSOD.

Assaf

I would start by removing 3080 Ti and use integrated graphics for troubleshooting thus eliminating one component.

Then check CPU temps as some watercoolers get blockages. Also make sure it is seated well and you have good amount of thermal paste in between.

What memory speed do you use? 32 gig sticks are likely dual-rank meaning that memory controller might have trouble running them fast. Drop XMP off for testing.

Did you do a fresh install of Windows or just use an old one? Always do a fresh install. Did you install latest chipset drivers from AMD's site?

Clear CMOS with jumper or by removing battery (when computer is unplugged and LED's are all unlit)

What software are you running?

Assafm25
Journeyman III

Done already all,

Freash windows installetion

All the components are new

Whan power on the pc its tack about 40 sec till I get giga yte logo.

Tray with xmp and without.

The memory set are Corsair DDR 5 64G (32x2) 5600 CMK64GX5M2B5600C40

0 Likes

Try with one DIMM at a time.

Did you actually clear CMOS and not just defaulted BIOS?

CPU could be broken - RMA?

Made sure there are no IO-shield pins touching connectors nor screws in wrong places under motherboard?

Remove hard drives, SSD's and M.2, boot with USB bootable linux distribution https://www.techradar.com/best/best-usb-bootable-distros  

https://www.linuxliveusb.com/ 

0 Likes
Wolve909
Journeyman III

Having the exact same issue. I see no overheating problems, only the Event viewer saying "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first...."

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7900x, Watercooled 
Motherboard: X670 Gigabyte AORUS Elite AX
RAM: 32Gb DDR5 KINGSTON Fury beast, EXPO enabled @ 6000Mhz
PSU: 1000W Corsair RM1000X
GPU: RTX 2070 Super ZOTAC AMP

Win 11 is installed on a NVME M.2 SN850 WD Black

0 Likes

For testing, try disabling EXPO and go with default memory speed just to see if that changes it. I think it was early 1000 and 2000 series where early BIOS'es were not great with fast memory, but support improved with BIOS updates. Then there are these weird claims like Asrock "supporting" DDR5-6600 on AM5 while to my knowledge it is almost impossible to achieve. 

0 Likes

I turned off Expo and now my pc wont go into bios anymore. Thought it was going through memory training but its been 30 minutes 

IMG_20221101_130028.jpg

Edit: had to clear cmos, im now booting without EXPO/XMP enabled. Let's see if this affects the random reboot thing.

I have no clue why disabling EXPO wont let me go into bios anymore though 

0 Likes

BIOS requiring clearing cmos and not working if you disable XMP/EXPO does not sound like a mature and stable BIOS.

"I have no clue why disabling EXPO wont let me go into bios anymore though "

Sounds strange. Maybe give feedback to motherboard maker. You might be able to fix it by flashing bios again even if you already have the latest version, but maybe just wait for next version if you can live without it.

0 Likes

I've updated the bios to the latest version (F6), previously it was the initial bios version (F3). 
It's been a day I haven't had my PC randomly reboot on me, but as of now EXPO is still disabled. I'll try to turn it on again tomorrow and see what happens.

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Check your bios for a power loading setting and enable it.

Had to google this as I have not heard about it before:

"Power loading allows the board to force a dummy load on to the PSU when its in a low power state to prevent the PSU from shutting off through its low load protection.

You shouldn't need to enable this unless your PSU is randomly shutting off."

Interesting. Definitely worth testing!

0 Likes