Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

GA-DAWG
Adept I

Ryzen 7600X Voltage & ECO Mode

Hello eveyrone,

Are these voltages normal looking to y'all? I see the CPU Core Voltage jump to 1.352V at one point. I know it will occasionally rise during demanding applications, just seems concerning. I have NOT overclocked. Everything seems to be running fine and all, just concerned about the high voltage.

Voltages (March 19).JPG

Also, I am running system in ECO mode (65W), but constantly seeing power go above this. Is this normal? Some additional settings in the BIOS screenshots below. Pretty much all I've set is the RAM in EXPO mode and the CPU in ECO mode (65W) and that's about it. Fan settings to silent as well.

IMG-2446.jpg

I can build a computer and do various basic tweaks within the BIOS, but when it comes to voltages and in-depth stuff like this, I am clueless.

System specs below.

Thanks in advance.

CPU
 AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
COOLER Noctua NH-U12A Chromax.Black
MOTHERBOARD ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB Series (AMD Expo) 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30-38-38-96
SSD WD_BLACK 2TB SN850X & Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
OS Windows 11 Pro
PSU Corsair RMX Series (2021), RM750x, 750 Watt, Gold
GPU ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti
CASE Lian Li LancooL 216 Black (Non RGB)
MONITOR Alienware 38" Curved Gaming Monitor - AW3821DW

0 Likes
6 Replies

A couple of Users I believe are familiar with ECO mode in BIOS  @johnnyenglish or @FunkZ 

FunkZ
Forerunner

Enabling EXPO will increase SOC voltage but <1.3v is where you want it, so yours at 1.288v is good. CPU voltage at 1.35v is also normal for load condition and 5.4GHz CPU speed. Check your BIOS version and make sure you're on the latest available - looks like that is 2413.

https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b650e-f-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_bios/

If you want to run at a lower power setting you could enable that Power Saving setting in Armoury Crate, 88W I believe is default. That may be overriding the BIOS TDP ECO mode.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi there,

The voltages you posted from Armoury Crate are OK, no issues there.

As for ECO mode, i think its a bit pointless to have it on an already power friendly CPU, unless you are thermally constrained by a mini ITX build which is not the case because you have an F version.

The Cooler though... are you using ECO Mode because you are having issues about temperatures?

You said:
"Also, I am running system in ECO mode (65W), but constantly seeing power go above this. Is this normal?"

- Yes, TDP is not power comsuption. A 7950X 170Watt TDP can peak at 250Watt.

The Englishman

Yes, I am running in ECO mode to help keep power consumption down, even if only a little. Also, my 7600X will jump to 90+ watts while in ECO mode. I thought it would stay within 65W as it states in the setting.

On another site I posted these questions on a couple users mentioned voltages looked high, so I wanted to get a few more opinions and correct this if necessary. Their quotes below.

"The VDDIO is high, typically 1.25 is recommended if you are OCing. SOC is a tad high although not crazy. Voltages seem to be geared toward overclocking, which is typical of an ASUS."

"SoC is definately on the high side and nearing what i would deem comfortable (1.3) especailly if you are only using 2 sticks of RAM

I have 4x16 and only need 1.25 to be stable.

If you have something light in the background running these Ryzen 7000s tend to volt fairly high even with a light load. But if you had HWinfo or Ryzen master even with the relatively high voltage you would only be seeing 5-10A being drawn at that voltage."

Thanks for your help @elstaci @johnnyenglish @FunkZ 

Let me be a bit ambiguous on my reply, but straight to the point.

@GA-DAWG wrote:

Yes, I am running in ECO mode to help keep power consumption down, even if only a little. Also, my 7600X will jump to 90+ watts while in ECO mode. I thought it would stay within 65W as it states in the setting.

No it should not, again, TDP Thermal Design Power is not Power Comsuption.

Even when I tried ECO MODE 65 on the 7950X it never stayed under 65Watts, running a CPU stress test, I actually got way above 100watt comsuption and averaged out on 90Watt.

GamersNexus confirms it

johnnyenglish_2-1711127789743.png

BTW: After a short google, I got this and let me tell you. ITS WRONG!
IT WON'T CONSUME A MAXIMUM OF 105 Watts, its actually higher!

johnnyenglish_0-1711126557025.png

Have a look at this video from Gamers Nexus, its starts right where he says:

johnnyenglish_1-1711126882665.png
https://youtu.be/W6aKQ-eBFk0?si=ivZlQcdcRF6Ohg3h&t=392 

@GA-DAWG wrote:

On another site I posted these questions on a couple users mentioned voltages looked high, so I wanted to get a few more opinions and correct this if necessary. Their quotes below.

"The VDDIO is high, typically 1.25 is recommended if you are OCing. SOC is a tad high although not crazy. Voltages seem to be geared toward overclocking, which is typical of an ASUS."

"SoC is definately on the high side and nearing what i would deem comfortable (1.3) especailly if you are only using 2 sticks of RAM

I have 4x16 and only need 1.25 to be stable.

I will partially agree with some of those takes.

FIRST -  VDDIO was actually high before the correction, when we had all those frying CPU hype. But 1.39 is OK. Now the ambiguos part I have my VDDIO set at 1.2v and its stable, less the voltage the better as long as its stable.

SECOND - No, its not. Vendors clearly stated the the limit is 1.3v and if the value is bellow, then its safe. Again, I undervolted mine to 1.2v.

THIRD - Setting examples is good for comparison, but not every chip is created equal. Actually, 1.25v for 4x sticks, must be a really good IMC, not everyone can do that.

The Englishman

Thanks for taking the time to respond, brother. I truly do appreciate it.