cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cpurick
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7000 and StoreMI?

Building a 7900X Windows 11 system. Wondering if I can use an NVME to accelerate an affordable SATA SSD. It appears that StoreMI is the tool for this, but nobody's mentioned whether it works with the new AM5 processors and chipsets.

0 Likes
2 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

I am planning to upgrade to 7000-series too and did consider either creating pool from two M.2's as storage (and one fast gen4 M.2 as system drive), but after reading about it, desided not to. Then I considered Store MI, but documentation seems strange. These are system requirements:

"2.3 Storage Devices
At least one rotational HDD of any capacity. The HDD must be connected to a SATA port
provided in the AMD processor or chipset.
• At least one unformatted, uninitialized, unallocated SATA or NVMe SSD for storage
acceleration. If using a brand new, unused SSD, simply plug the SSD into the system. Most
new SSDs will offer a default name to identify it in the AMD StoreMI Cache device menu. A
used SSD can be re-used as an AMD StoreMI cache device. However, all the vital data must
be backed up by the user and any existing partitions/volumes must be deleted before
proceeding.
• The former AMD StoreMI tiering software must not be installed.
• The system should not be configured for RAID storage.
• The maximum drive count is 16.
A few systems will require additional NVMe® to be connected to the system. The SATA SSD
on the board will not be able to fulfil the minimum 2 storage controller criteria for StoreMI to
install and function.
• The storage devices connected to the third-party SATA AHCI controller ports are not
supported by StoreMI. You must connect the storage devices to AMD specific SATA AHCI
controller ports for StoreMI to support it

source: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/store-mi (user guide)

Then there is the question, if you don't have UPS and there is a sudden power loss. Just how much data corruption you might get...

Not sure what I'll do. Maybe just RAID0 between two storge PCIe NVME's a a separate system drive or then just three separate drives, which might be the simplest and safest option.

(still my gues is, that requirement of spinnig hdd is not true?)

0 Likes

Seems like at the moment StoreMI is not yet compatible with the 7000 Series CPU/APUs. Need to wait until StoreMI is added under AMD Download page under Processors or CHIPSETs.

Here is the latest StoreMI support for all AMD processors: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/store-mi

Screenshot 2022-06-11 234746.png

Since the 7000 series processors and AM5 Socket is still very new AMD needs to update StoreMI to make it compatible with the latest processors and AM5 Motherboards.

You can open a AMD Service Request to get a general idea when StoreMI will be available for the latest processors but I wouldn't expect a specific date. Just to make sure that StoreMI will be made compatible or not: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form