Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Cris_17
Adept I

Ryzen 7 5700U max ram

Hi everyone!

Hoping I'm not in the wrong section (I'm a new entry), I wanted to ask you if you could tell me whether the maximum RAM supported by the Ryzen 7 5700U is 32 or 64 GB because it doesn't appear on the specifications page of the processor.

Thank you so much for your help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

This CPU Tech site seems to be fairly accurate in its data: https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu-amd_ryzen_7_5700u

Screenshot 2024-04-19 213815.png

Seems like it supports a maximum of 32GB of RAM MEMORY.

NOTE: As mentioned it depends on your Laptop Manufacturer how much RAM memory can be used.  Many might limit the RAM to less than 32GB of RAM.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
FunkZ
Forerunner

As the 5700U is a mobile chip you'll need to check with the laptop or device manufacturer to determine what memory capacity is supported.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

What tool I need to use?

Because if you mean that I simply have to look at the specifications of the computer purchased, I honestly don't do much about it. They often report maximum supported RAM values ​​which are lower than that supported by the CPU, primarily limited by the motherboard for example.

0 Likes

Well since you can't use the CPU without the board, you're stuck with what the board will support.

0 Likes

Yes, of course. But if I read the specs doc for my HP 255 G8 the manufacturer tell me that I can only update RAM up to 16 Gb and I don't think that it's right. Infact, many times the manufacturer write an amount of ram that isn't the right max amount of ram that you can update to. Look here (HP 255 G8 Notebook PC

Just yesterday I found  the Crucial site (HP - Compaq HP 255 G8 | Aggiornamenti Memoria RAM e SSD | Crucial IT) that tell you the max amount of ram that you can update to in your pc. In my case it tell me that I can put up to 32 Gb.

However, thank you very much!

0 Likes

So HP states 16GB is the max but Crucial says it can take 32GB and you're going to believe the company trying to sell you the memory over the company that built the laptop?

The HP specs also state "both slots are customer not-accessible/upgradable" which would suggest at best there is no exterior panel to gain access to the SODIMM slots, and at worst that the memory is soldered directly to the board.

Additionally, the info that @elstaci posted listing 32GB as the max may require 4 slots and most laptop boards only have 2. In addition to max total capacity there is typically a max density on supported chips.

Good luck on your memory upgrade.

This CPU Tech site seems to be fairly accurate in its data: https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu-amd_ryzen_7_5700u

Screenshot 2024-04-19 213815.png

Seems like it supports a maximum of 32GB of RAM MEMORY.

NOTE: As mentioned it depends on your Laptop Manufacturer how much RAM memory can be used.  Many might limit the RAM to less than 32GB of RAM.

Yes of course, but in fact I actually wanted to know the maximum amount of RAM supported by the CPU rather than by the motherboard. It was really a personal curiosity. Also because the manufacturer of my PC (HP) even says that I can only update up to 16 GB but I think I can easily fit 32.

Thank you very much for your reply. It was what I was looking for!

0 Likes

Trouble is HP might have purposely limited the amount of RAM installed to 16GB for a reason.

In another words if you were to install 32GB of RAM the Laptop Motherboard will probably only recognize 16GB of total RAM instead. Just my opinion unless HP comes out with a BIOS that will increase the amount of RAM installed unless the limit was engineered into the MB than it can't.

I would open a HP Support ticket or open a thread at HP Forums and ask.

0 Likes

I called them several times a while ago but none of them were "real technicians". They just read the manual in front of me and said that was the maximum RAM supported. Even for the first 3 technicians, I was the one who told them that they were reading the wrong manual given that the version of HP 255 G8 with Ryzen 7 5700U was recent and the primary manual found on their site did not contain this configuration. Only the last technician actually found the correct manual which unfortunately reported 16 GB.

I think and hope that in reality this is not the case. My warranty will expire soon and I'll try to get 32.

Then I recently found some users online, who have my same motherboard (HP 890E) but different processor), that did benchmarks and in 95% of cases they have 8/16Gb but in some they have 20/24 or 32Gb (like this: Ryzen 5 5500U HP 890E - CPU-Z VALIDATOR). So I really hope they are recognized by the motherboard. It's probable, isn't it?

The only one who can answer your question is HP Support or another User with the same Laptop Motherboard and processor.

NOTE: If the Manual, as you mentioned, says maximum is 16GB then most likely if you install 32GB only 16GB would be recognized or the laptop won't boot up with 32GB of RAM installed.