Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

paulohperes
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 5700G with SSD PCI 4

Hi,

I will purchase a new PC, I want to use for a developing (pyhton and golang) and running docker containers. I want to purchase SSD PCI 4, Samsung 980 PRO PCIe® 4.0 NVMe™ SSD 500GB, the Ryzen 7 5700G specification's not support PCI 4, searching a brazilian's forum, an user said that motherboard with chipset x570 support PCI 4 wihtout dependency of processador, is true?

1 Solution

I guess I'll let you know, I bought an MSI B550 gaming gen3 ("B" I can assume is for Budget because I only paid 89.00 for it, Amazon)with PCI-e and a Ryzen 7 5700g ( I only paid 183.00 , Amazon)plus I caught a Kingston NV2 PCIE 4.0 NVMe M.2 1 TB SSD (66.00 Brand new, eBay)that has an incredible 3500 MB/s, but I doubt very seriously it will ever get to that speed with my current PCIE 3. I plan on only using this board temporarily, at least until the top Ryzen 9 or 7 drop in price, or the new AM5 gets more hardware that is affordable.

I didn't plan on making a budget gamer, but I'll keep you all informed on the 1 TB NV2 SSD

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Yes, If you motherboard M.2 Slot supports PCIe 4.0 from the chipset then your SSD 4.0 will work with PCIe 4.0. But if the M.2 Slot is from the Ryzen 7 5700G then it will only support PCIe 3.0.

Found this tech site that explains that a Motherboard can have both PCIe 3.0 and 4.0 slots: https://pcguide101.com/motherboard/can-you-use-a-pcie-4-0-ssd-on-your-existing-motherboard/

You need to go to your motherboard Specs on Storage to see if the chipset lane for the M.2 is 4.0 or 3.0.

As an example only. This Asus  Motherboard supports both depending on the CPU installed: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS/techspec/

Screenshot 2022-02-27 093811.png

From the manual for the motherboard Asus above:

Screenshot 2022-02-27 093811.png

M.2 - 1 socket depends on the CPU which version of PCIe it uses. With a Ryzen 7 5700G if will be PCIe 3.0

M.2 - 2 socket is PCIe 4.0 via AMD CHIPSET.

Hi,

I have a ryzen 5700g cpu.

Will a pcie 4 nvme m2 ssd like WD black 850 work at full pcie 4 speeds with my msi b550m pro-vdh wifi mobo?

or will I be limited to pcie 3 speeds.

I know you said that if chipset lanes supports pcie 4 , rather than cpu lanes, then it will, but I am not sure if my mobo supports or not?

Can you pls tell me if I should buy the ssd or no?

0 Likes

No, neither your CPU nor your M/B have PCIe 4.0 connectivity.

But the WD Black 850 is still a great SSD, you can still use it and enjoy excellent performance.  And have full PCIe 4 speeds later if you ever upgrade your CPU/MB.

Support me also please. I am dreaming to by 5700G, because this suits perfectly my needs. Integrated GPU, so you are independent from buying GPU. Buy why Ryzen killing us forcing buy non GPU X version with PCIe 4.0. (sadface).

I want to go mini build:

- x570i Asus ROG

- Samsung 980 Evo pro or Kingston KC3000. 4TB+

Here is my question too, do 5700G will handle to work under 4.0?

Best regards, 

0 Likes

I guess I'll let you know, I bought an MSI B550 gaming gen3 ("B" I can assume is for Budget because I only paid 89.00 for it, Amazon)with PCI-e and a Ryzen 7 5700g ( I only paid 183.00 , Amazon)plus I caught a Kingston NV2 PCIE 4.0 NVMe M.2 1 TB SSD (66.00 Brand new, eBay)that has an incredible 3500 MB/s, but I doubt very seriously it will ever get to that speed with my current PCIE 3. I plan on only using this board temporarily, at least until the top Ryzen 9 or 7 drop in price, or the new AM5 gets more hardware that is affordable.

I didn't plan on making a budget gamer, but I'll keep you all informed on the 1 TB NV2 SSD