cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Romis
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 1700x

Hello, how come my processor always sits around 3,4ghz - 3.46ghz at max speed when turbo should be around 3,8ghz?

Im planning on upgrading cpu but ive never understood why its always running at base speed even if playing games.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Romis, I am not familar with your MB so cannot comment. If it cannot enable PBO then it will not reach maximum speed. John.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
16 Replies

Hey, thanks for the tips.

Let me begin.

My power plan is set to high performance, ive tried to test it out and there seems to be no difference between balanced/high performance plan.

About BIOS settings: I didnt find this setting "‘Core Performance Boost", which probably means my mobo is not supporting this or im not aware of it at least, but there is indeed normal mode and power saving mode, which i never turned on and it was always set to normal.

BIOS Update: I updated it yesterday to the newest version (6223)

My motherboard is EX-320M-GAMING

Thermal Throttling: Also i monitored my temps and they seems to be fine, while idling temps are around 40c and while playing its somewhat around 60c at max.

Chipset drivers: Ive never done this before and not sure what i exactly did but it says in "Apps&Features" i have AMD Chipset Software version 6.01.25.342.

Background processes: I always turn off anything possible, but nothing seems to give me more speed from my CPU.

And lastly i want to say, im not really familiar with any overclocking whatsoever.

0 Likes
FunkZ
Forerunner

As @diana658 states, the 1700X is an 8C/16T processor with base clock 3.4GHz, boost clock 3.8GHz. It will likely only ever reach max boost clock under single threaded loads. For games and applications that utilize multiple cores the boost speed will be lower to compensate for power draw and temperature.

Gamers Nexus Review of the 1700X indicates that throttling begins around 3.5GHz and 75°C which also likely contributes to your observations.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

Romis, I suspect you are quoting Windows Task Manager which is very poor at reporting true speeds. Please install Ryzen Master (RM) and tell us what speeds you see. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

RYZEN MASTER.png

0 Likes

Thanks, Romis. Still a little high for true idle. You should have no applications all running. Please open the Task Manager, click on the CPU column (bring the highest user to top) and post a screenshot. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Like this or what do you want me to show exactly, also is there anything i could do in ryzen master to increase my speed of cpu?Screenshot 2024-05-09 180903.png

0 Likes

Thanks, Romis. I need to see the Process tab like this:

TaskManeger.jpg

 Click on the CPU column to get the big users to the top. When I idle most of the cores are Sleep. Your maximum boast clock is 3.8 MHz. I am not an over clocker but the 1700X is Unlocked for overclocking. Others should comment to help you. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Thanks for trying to help me with this, i do appreciate it. It looks like this when i idle.

Screenshot 2024-05-09 211120.png

0 Likes

Thanks, Romis. When you want to look at idle your should close all SW not needed. Close Chrome and any others and then see what RM says at idle. Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: Please list all your parts.

0 Likes

Well, the thing is i noticed speed of my cpu is not changing at all in Ryzen Master so it seems not to be working at all and i have no idea how to change it or make it work.

Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700x 

16GB RAM 3200Mhz

RTX 3060 12GB

EX-320 GAMING motherboard

1TB HDD

500GB SSD

0 Likes

What version of Ryzen Master is that? The interface looks old.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

No clue which version is that, its first one that popped on me from AMD site.

0 Likes

Romis, processors execute the work given it by the OS (Windows). If given no work, then the cores should go to Sleep. You then get it to work by starting an application. Please post screenshots of RM and Task Manger when you see this condition. What OS are you using? Perhaps you should  format your C disk (after saving vital files) and Install (not update) a fresh copy of Windows. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I know that it should go higher automatically depending on the app and i think i found the solution. I tried googling a bit and found out this motherboard i have is not able to overclock, which means my cpu cant run on its full speed i suppose (correct me if im wrong).

I have Windows 10, because my PC doesnt meet the minimum requirements for Windows 11.

0 Likes

Romis, I am not familar with your MB so cannot comment. If it cannot enable PBO then it will not reach maximum speed. John.

0 Likes

Romis, I think you should talk to your MB vendor and discuss your observations. Perhaps they have some suggestions to help you. Thanks and enjoy, John.