cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Jam140186
Adept I

Ryzen 5800x3d temps and power draw

Hi My 5800x3d is drawing 140w during load testing with heavyload and OCCT and hitting 90 degrees C straight away. Is this normal?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Yep quite Happy with it now temps are sorted. It turned out to be a bios issue. Cleared Cmos then re-flashed with the same bios again and fixed.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

Temp is high and causes thermal throttling.

Do not OC, do not PBO, just use as designed or undervolt. You might have poorly vented case, poorly performing cooler or it might be sub optimally installed (not enough thermal paste or shape of IHS or cooler not flat enough)

0 Likes

No OC, PBO isn't even an option in bios. Just stock settings with smart access memory.

0 Likes

Wattage feels a bit high and when I googled it, according to some sources 5800X might use that much, but 5800X3D should use less and run with 1.2V while for instance my 3800X pretty much needs 1.3V for rasonable clocks. So I wonder if for some weird reason your BIOS treats 5800X3D as regular 5800X. I would go to BIOS and check CPU voltage. Also is your BIOS  fully 5800X3D compatible? Upgrades available?

Some test programs like Prime95 can make CPU's very hot even if they function normally.

Also how old is you AIO? Any change it has gathered gunk in CPU block over time and simply isn't up to task anymore? Do you have some air cooler you could try to rule this out?

Are temps ok with games, 3DMark and such?

There is a chance IHS or CPU block is not 100% straight but for instance concave, so conact maybe suboptimal. 

Could be many reason, or just a software making it hot. I would check voltages, try with another cooler if available and see how temps are with other software.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Yes it is normal. Under a gaming load you should see lower power draw and temperatures. The actual temperature you see will depend on your cooling solution, but it should be lower than 90c if your cooling is sufficient. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is your cpu cooler? name of your case fans if you have any? pc case model? thermal paste?

0 Likes

Have a phanteks 360 mph AIO. Have tried both arctic silver and phanteks PH-HDC thermal pastes.  Case is a phanteks p500A airflow (3X 140mm fans in the front intake, 1X  140mm in the rear exhaust with the 360 aio up top as exhaust.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

My plan is to upgrade to 5800x3d soon. are you happy with it?

0 Likes

Yep quite Happy with it now temps are sorted. It turned out to be a bios issue. Cleared Cmos then re-flashed with the same bios again and fixed.