cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

bigsuze82
Adept I

Ryzen 5600x 100% CPU usage even on idle

Hi! When I start my computer my CPU immediately goes to 100% usage and stays there. This also means the CPU reaches high idle temperatures. I've looked through other similar posts but nothing seems to fix the issue. Would someone be able to help out?

Here are some screenshots of task manager:

bigsuze82_1-1712358959116.png

bigsuze82_2-1712358977291.png

0 Likes
1 Solution

Try starting your Windows PC in Windows Safe Mode and see if your Ryzen continues to run at 100% at idle. If it runs normally like less than 5% then that indicates a 3rd party driver is causing your issue.

Reboot into Windows Desktop and then boot into a Clean Windows Desktop which is like running Safe Mode but only with Windows booting up normally: How to perform a clean boot in Windows 

Booting into a Clean Desktop you will manually disable all 3rd party Startup apps except those run by Microsoft. Once you boot into a Windows Clean Desktop see if you processor is running low at Idle. If so start manually enabling your disbled 3rd party drivers or apps until you see your processor again go up to 100% usage.

Possibly you might have your Antivirus scanning the PC or some other 3rd party app running a task using up 100% of your CPU load.

I had previously bookmarked this Tech site on how to fix stuck High CPU usages. Gives you several fixes including some Command Prompt command to reduce your loads during Idle: https://thegeekpage.com/cpu-usage-is-stuck-at-100-usage/

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Have you looked in 'task manager > startup', any apps with high use?

What windows power plan are you using?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Just greenshot and riot anticheat:

bigsuze82_1-1712368406310.png

Though, I'm unsure startup apps are the problem seeing as CPU usage stays at 100% for the entire time I use my PC not just at startup.

I'm also using the balanced power plan:

bigsuze82_2-1712368510287.png

0 Likes

Startup = start & run on boot up.

As a test disable the high/medium/not measured items, see if cpu usage drops.

Also WMI provider host, and other windows processes are very high for just being on desktop.

Something is tapping into them?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Just disabled all of them, didn't seem to make a difference:

bigsuze82_0-1712389694567.png

It seems as though the running applications just fill the cpu up to 100% independent of how much processing power they're actually using.

0 Likes

You might want to also try asking at https://www.elevenforum.com/

Someone there might be able to diagnose what's causing it.

Okay, thank you for your help!

0 Likes

Try starting your Windows PC in Windows Safe Mode and see if your Ryzen continues to run at 100% at idle. If it runs normally like less than 5% then that indicates a 3rd party driver is causing your issue.

Reboot into Windows Desktop and then boot into a Clean Windows Desktop which is like running Safe Mode but only with Windows booting up normally: How to perform a clean boot in Windows 

Booting into a Clean Desktop you will manually disable all 3rd party Startup apps except those run by Microsoft. Once you boot into a Windows Clean Desktop see if you processor is running low at Idle. If so start manually enabling your disbled 3rd party drivers or apps until you see your processor again go up to 100% usage.

Possibly you might have your Antivirus scanning the PC or some other 3rd party app running a task using up 100% of your CPU load.

I had previously bookmarked this Tech site on how to fix stuck High CPU usages. Gives you several fixes including some Command Prompt command to reduce your loads during Idle: https://thegeekpage.com/cpu-usage-is-stuck-at-100-usage/

THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH!!! I've had this pc for over a year and have tried everything. In the end I just dealt with the high fan speeds and noise because of the high CPU usage and was worried I would have to keep dealing with it after safe mode and booting into a clean desktop didn't fix anything but.... the last website you linked fixed everything. On fix 3, pasting these commands into the administrator command prompt pulled my idle cpu usage down to 2%

PowerCfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_PROCESSOR IDLEDISABLE 000
PowerCfg /SETACTIVE SCHEME_CURRENT 

Sorry for the wordy reply, but I am so grateful. Thank you so much!

Thanks for the update.

Yes that Command Prompt deals specifically with Window's Power plan so it seems to be a Windows issue that causing high CPU usage at idle.

Great to hear it fixed your problem. That is why I bookmarked that tech site.