I've this weekend built a desktop PC with the parts as below:

CPU: 7600X

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X670-E with Wi-Fi

Dedicated GPU: NVidia RTX 4070 Super

SSD: Kingston KC3000 2TB

RAM: Kingston FURY 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MHz CL32 Renegade Silver

PSU: Corsair RM750RX (750W)

System: Windows 11 Pro

I've updated the BIOS for the motherboard and the drivers for the graphic cards (both) and processor, including installing the utility software AMD Adrenaline and NVidia GeForce NOW, all of that still during the weekend.

I've turned on the overclocking profile on the motherboard, mainly to utilize my RAM fully, then I've run a game with MSI Afterburner and saw the clocks higher than necessary for my needs (boosted over 5000). As a quick and easy fix I changed the system Power settings to limit the CPU to 80%, which then resulted in the CPU clocks running at a stable 3750MHz when in game, no problems.

However, the problem is that the next day I just installed a few games (no drivers or any system programs), but while the clocks were still 3750MHz when a game was not running, as soon as I started any game at all, it instantly spiked to 5450MHz completely ignoring the power limitation and not going down even for a moment.

After that I tried several options (AMD Ryzen Master ECO mode, lowering the precision boost override), but the only change this made was that the CPU would clock at 5250MHz for a brief moment before going back up to 5450 for most of the time.

I turned off the overclocking profile and set for each core a maximum of 4800MHz in BIOS. This allowed the cores to...clock at 4850MHz permanently when in game, and still go down to 3750MHz out of it (so the power setting still works properly out of game). This means that the problem has nothing to do with the overclocking profile.

While this works as a temporal solution, I don't want to deal with 'workarounds' for a completely new computer. Does somebody have an idea on just what sort of thing can it be that makes the CPU work as it pleases ignoring just about every setting and forcing it to run at a clock over the max permanently, but only in games?

0 Likes
3 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

kikix12, I suspect your main problem is conflicts between various programs and missing around in BIOS. My recommendations are to do a Clear CMOS, uninstall MSI Afterburner and quit changing things in BIOS. Ryzen cores are designed to run as fast as necessary to get the assigned work completed. Windows assigns the tasks and Ryzen runs them as fast as possible. The processor has built in limits to prevent damage, defeating these is dangerous. I have no knowledge of what MSI Afterburner is doing, but I suspect once you start it it does what MSI thinks will make your computer better/faster. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
FunkZ
Forerunner

What I interpret from all that... you "turned on the overclocking profile on the motherboard", but don't want to overclock your CPU.

Here's the BIOS Manual for your motherboard, it will help to familiarize yourself with the settings. Particularly page 17 concerning DOCP/EXPO if your only concern is "to utilize my RAM fully".

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

@FunkZ I think that too. Just use the CPU stock and let it boost normally. If it gets hot, try curve optimizer or undervolting.

Boosting higher is not a bad thing. I like seeing my 7950X boosting to 5800mhz.     ; - )

The Englishman