cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Whattteva
Adept I

Ryzen 5 5600X boot loop after thermal shutdown

Hi, I'd like to know if I should RMA my CPU.

I bought this CPU (Ryzen 5 5600X) in Jan 2021 and it has been working fine up to last night. In the middle of gaming, it rebooted and my motherboard (Asus STRIX B550-F WiFi) reported CPU thermal shutdown (96C). I don't overclock and it's running the stock Wraith Stealth cooler and my room is air-conditioned, so honestly, it shouldn't be overheating.

Anyways, upon booting back up, temps are now back down to 60's it refuses to boot and is just stuck in a loop. At first, I thought maybe it's my Windows install got corrupted so I attempted to try to reinstall with my USB installer, but it seems like the problem is deeper than that.

Here are things I've tried:

1. BIOS update to latest firmware (3002).
  2. Tried booting only with 1 stick of RAM in different slots.
  3. Reset CMOS and Load Optimized Defaults.
  4. Disconnected all my peripherals.
  5. Tried booting Windows 11 installer.
  6. Tried booting Debian 12.
  7. Tried booting Linux Mint 22.
  8. Tried booting FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE.

No matter what I tried, it can never get past like the first 5 seconds after I get past the boot manager, whether it be GRUB or Windows boot manager. I've tested the USB stick and it works just fine on another system.

0 Likes
1 Solution
digipointer0
Adept III

Based on the information you provided, it does seem like there might be an issue with the CPU itself. The thermal shutdown event at 96°C could indicate a potential overheating problem, but since you have an air-conditioned room and are using the stock cooler without overclocking, it shouldn't be the primary cause.

The fact that your CPU is now refusing to boot and getting stuck in a boot loop even after trying different operating systems and boot media suggests that the problem might be more than just a software or Windows issue. You've also taken appropriate troubleshooting steps, such as updating the BIOS, resetting CMOS, and testing different RAM configurations, which rules out some common hardware-related issues. At this point, since you've already tried various operating systems and the issue persists, it's a good idea to consider RMA-ing (Return Merchandise Authorization) the CPU. Since you purchased it in January 2021, it should still be under warranty, and the manufacturer should be able to replace it for you.

Before initiating the RMA process, make sure to check the warranty terms and conditions provided by the manufacturer to ensure your CPU is eligible for replacement. Additionally, you might want to contact the manufacturer's customer support for further assistance and guidance through the RMA process. Remember to back up your important data if possible before sending the CPU for replacement, as the warranty process may involve sending in the faulty CPU and waiting for the replacement to be sent back to you.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to ask.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
digipointer0
Adept III

Based on the information you provided, it does seem like there might be an issue with the CPU itself. The thermal shutdown event at 96°C could indicate a potential overheating problem, but since you have an air-conditioned room and are using the stock cooler without overclocking, it shouldn't be the primary cause.

The fact that your CPU is now refusing to boot and getting stuck in a boot loop even after trying different operating systems and boot media suggests that the problem might be more than just a software or Windows issue. You've also taken appropriate troubleshooting steps, such as updating the BIOS, resetting CMOS, and testing different RAM configurations, which rules out some common hardware-related issues. At this point, since you've already tried various operating systems and the issue persists, it's a good idea to consider RMA-ing (Return Merchandise Authorization) the CPU. Since you purchased it in January 2021, it should still be under warranty, and the manufacturer should be able to replace it for you.

Before initiating the RMA process, make sure to check the warranty terms and conditions provided by the manufacturer to ensure your CPU is eligible for replacement. Additionally, you might want to contact the manufacturer's customer support for further assistance and guidance through the RMA process. Remember to back up your important data if possible before sending the CPU for replacement, as the warranty process may involve sending in the faulty CPU and waiting for the replacement to be sent back to you.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to ask.

Thanks so much for the speedy and detailed answer!

Angeluk
Challenger

your cooler is not working... change cooler...

0 Likes

I'm running at stock speeds with stock cooler in an air-conditioned room... basically everything is running as designed. I shouldn't be overheating.

0 Likes
PCProbs1
Adept I

Did you remove the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS? And if so, was the system unplugged from the mains electricity?

If not removal of the battery may no have flatted the current in the system entirely. You could try these steps:

1. Turning off computer
  2. Unplug from mains electricity
  3. Remove CMOS battery
  4. Hold power button on PC on for a few seconds
  5. Plug the computer back in and hope for the best

I often do this with shocked motherboards - and they are normally gaming computers!

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Atlexandrite
Journeyman III

Lower the base clock speed by a couple of hundread mhz it will solve the issue for the time being it works for me untill u can rma the item

0 Likes

Sorry, I'm kinda' lost in the BIOS. How do you do this?

0 Likes

Ok, first look for what clock speed and lower it slowly until stability, its not that its overheating its more that the system at stock settings is not stable (defective). Lower the stock clock speed and see if it works.

0 Likes