Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

lumarko76
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 5600G CPU cover

Hello everyone,
I am currently building a new computer with a Ryzen 5 5600G processor.
I noticed that the metal casing of the processor core is electrically connected to the mass of the MB.
I checked that in the Phenom II and Ryzen 7 2700X processors - there is no connection between the case
of processor core and the mass of the motherboard.

Is the connection in the Ryzen 5 5600G provided by the manufacturer intentional, or is my item defective?
I will be grateful for information on this matter.

Regards

0 Likes
5 Replies

Is it possible to upload a close up photo of what you are talking about?

If the PC boots up and works normally then it might be whatever you are talking about the CPU Metal casing electrically connected to the motherboard might be normal. Otherwise it probably wouldn't boot up unless it is grounding the APU to the Motherboard. But that is done through the processor's grounding pins.

Is there some sort of a metal clip from the motherboard that is touching the metal case of the APU?  Wire?

I have a Ryzen 7 3700 and the only thing that connects with the Motherboard is the CPU's pin and nothing else.

Of course with the 5000 series APUs it is possible AMD made some changes to how it connects with the Motherboard which is why I am asking if possible to upload a close up photo of what you are asking about.

0 Likes
lumarko76
Journeyman III

Measurement conditions for Phenom II and Ryzen 5:

- processor in the socket;
- without PSU;
- without cooling;
- moatherboard GND from ATX_12 connector;
- multimeter APPA 98II;
- range auto;
- voltage at the test tips about 0.14 V

Measurement conditions for Ryzen 7:

- processor in the socket;
- with PSU (OFF);
- with cooling;
- GND from PSU Molex connector;
- multimeter APPA 98II;
- range auto;
- voltage at the test tips about 0.14 V

Results.
Phenom II 0.6 / 1.9 MOhm, depending on the polarity
Ryzen 7 2700X similar to the above
Ryzen 5 5600G 0.7 Ohm, undepending on the polarity

I can't take photos for Ryzen 7 - it's not my PC.

Photos show measurement for Phenom II. The MB with the Ryzen 5 (Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2) is already mounted in the housing,  it is difficult to take a picture of acceptable quality. The measurement was performed as for the Phenom processor. 

I do not have the appropriate power supply yet, I cannot say if the processor is working properly.

ph_2.jpgph_1.jpg

0 Likes

From the images I believe I understand your concern. The bottom image seems to indicate a short between the CPU case and Motherboard ground. While the top image is showing some resistance and not almost a short like the bottom photo.

I suggest you open a AMD Service request -Warranty and ask them about your results by showing them the photos in this thread. Maybe they can tell you if that is normal or not for that processor from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes

The photos show the measurement results for the Phenom processor in MOhms, for different directions of the measurement current. 0.6 MOhm is definitely not a short circuit. On the other hand, the result of an identical measurement (0.7 Ohm in both directions) for the Ryzen 5 5600G processor indicates short circuits. This is what this topic is about. I did write: "I noticed that the metal casing of the processor core is electrically connected to the mass of the MB."

Thank you for the information.

0 Likes

It was difficult to read the dial settings and didn't realize it was set on MegaOhms which makes a large difference in what I was reading.

Please report back if AMD replies back. Just curious to know if that is normal or not for the 5000 series APU/CPUs.

0 Likes