cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ryzen 5 5500 not supported by Motherboard

Hello. On Saturday I purchased a PC that comes with an AMD Ryzen 5 5500 CPU and a Motherboard, the ASRock B450 Pro4. And I was doing some research on the PC specs and noticed that on ASRock's website about the B450 Pro4 motherboard in the CPU support list the my CPU which I have already bought is not a compatible CPU. Can someone help figure out if I can use it and if there is support for it and that the website just has not been updated? Thank you so much.

Screenshot 2022-07-05 154320.pngScreenshot 2022-07-05 154255.png

Queen And Andy
0 Likes
1 Solution
Vynski
Exemplar

None of 

ASROCK's boards show support for the Ryzen 5 5500 CPU's.

The ASRock B450 Pro4 does support the Ryzen 5 5300 and 5600 series CPU's, so it would surprise me that it would not support the 5500 series.

I have only done 1 build in all my years on an ASROCK board and swore that it would be the last.  Quality and support were the major issues.  I try to steer users away from low quality components.  With computer components I strongly believe that you get what you pay for.  For the last 10-15 years I would only recommend MSI or ASUS boards.  

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Vynski
Exemplar

None of 

ASROCK's boards show support for the Ryzen 5 5500 CPU's.

The ASRock B450 Pro4 does support the Ryzen 5 5300 and 5600 series CPU's, so it would surprise me that it would not support the 5500 series.

I have only done 1 build in all my years on an ASROCK board and swore that it would be the last.  Quality and support were the major issues.  I try to steer users away from low quality components.  With computer components I strongly believe that you get what you pay for.  For the last 10-15 years I would only recommend MSI or ASUS boards.  

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

Okay. Thanks for the info!

Queen And Andy
0 Likes

Michael, 

I tried the AMD 5500 Ryzen 5 with the ASRock B450 Pro4 and it does not post or beep in spite of everything I tried. I am an experienced PC builder and was surprised and still am not certain it is due to a defective motherboard and/or CPU or the incompatibility.
Did you succeed with this combination?

Thanks, MarshallG

This is not correct. On older versions of the motherboard, they will not post with the AMD 5500 and probably the other 5000 series CPUs/GPUs. What it required to fix was the installation of and older supported AMD 3200G GPU and updating the BIOS on the motherboard. After I replaced the 3200G with the 5500 and adding a graphic card, she came right up and is now in service.

MarshallG

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I have had good luck with ASRock motherboards lately.  Maybe they have improved quality control?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

I think it might be an fTPM related issue. I had a similar problem. When I unplugged my second RAM stick and used only one slot, I got an fTPM error message. After pressing "y" to format the TPM, everything went back to normal.

0 Likes
MarshallG
Adept I

I had it happen again with the AMD 5500 and this time with a Gigabyte B450 AORUS M (rev. 1.x). The box for the motherboard loudly proclaimed "AMD 5000" ready but just like the ASRock motherboard, it failed to post. The same cure, substituting an AMD 3200G and updating the BIOS to the latest version worked.  PC RedDragon is happily running Windows 11 with no problems now. 
Marshall

0 Likes