Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Vick1107
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 2600 Overheating after Bios Update

Greetings AMD Community,

This is my first post here and I'm glad to have joined this community. 

I've been having some problems with my PC ever since I updated my bios version to a more recent update.

Pc has been shutting down, glitching and even my CPU has been reaching temps of 100+ degrees Celcius when gaming.

Current specs:

MD

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Max Wifi

Ryzen 5 2600

Corsair 32gbs Ram (2x16gb) 3600mhz

Gigabyte Gtx 1080ti

I bought this Corsair ram without checking if my cpu could even handle it. Any time I try overclocking my rams speed to anything above 2933mhz my pc won't boot up to even bios. I've checked online that the Ryzen 5 2600 max ram speed that it can handle is 2933mhz, even though I see a ton of people online saying they can run it at 3200mhz and that this is my cpus "Sweet Spot".

So now I run my ram speed at 2933mhz and it seems to be running fine.

My biggest problem now is that when I use the "game mode" OC setting in my bios to get my cpu from 3.4ghz to 3.8ghz it starts overheating in stress tests and gaming (90+ degrees C)

I've been running OC mode in bios for the past 4 years (3.8ghz) without EVER any problems, that is until I updated my bios version 3 days ago. My bios version was 3 years old and the reason I updated it was to see if that would maybe help run my ram speed higher than 2933mhz, preferably to 3200mhz.

Any help or advice/input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

0 Likes
2 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi, I have some takes for you. Assuming that you only did the BIOS update and touched nothing else.

- Can you flashback?
- Have you reset to defaults after BIOS update?

What you should do:

Undervolt the CPU with offset values to lower the temperatures.
Flashback to your old BIOS and manually tune the memory instead of using XMP/DOCP.

After you sort out the CPU temp issue then go after the 3200 mark, my last 3200 corsair kit needed manual tuning to get 3200 stable.

Although... the best advice is:
If you have a really really really tight budget and want to make good use of your current hardware, get a better AM4 CPU on the cheap. The 5600X should work in that board and support the 3600mhz. Here where I live, some stores still sell it for 100/120€

The Englishman

I currently have it running at a steady 70C with cpu running stock at 3.4ghz and ram at 2933mhz while extreme heavy loads ( Star Citizen)

At this point, are getting the 3.8ghz and 3200mhz speeds even worth all this extra hassle? 

I'm wondering if the bios update played with the voltage settings or maybe it's more windows 11 compatible?

Thanks.