cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tricus
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 2400G incompatible with dedicated GPU?

CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G

MB: MSI KRAIT GAMING x370

GPU: NVidia GTX 1080 Ti

Started with BIOS primary GFX set to Integrated.

At first installation of Windows, the CPU and GPU were both using Basic Microsoft Display Adapter but GPU showed as deactivated/problem state in Windows.

Radeon driver installed successfully, GPU remained in deactivated/problem state.

NVidia driver installed successfully, GPU remained in deactivated/problem state.

Switched primary GFX in BIOS to GPU, then both CPU and GPU show as deactivated/problem state.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
1 Solution
samerhilaly
Journeyman III

Ryzen APUs 2400G and 2200G doesn't support dual graphics as all of 7th generation AMD APUs

you can see it here:

https://products.amd.com/en-us/search/APU/AMD-Ryzen%E2%84%A2-Processors/AMD-Ryzen%E2%84%A2-5-Process...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies

AMD and nVidia cards are generally incompatible with each other. Also, why did you buy a lower end APU for 1080 Ti?

0 Likes

The internet seems to think that AMD and NVidia cards can coexist in one machine.  There are crypto miners that do it.

The reason I bought this CPU was that I wanted integrated graphics for a permanent primary video connection while I experiment with various GPUs.

This would have worked just fine on any Intel i3/5/7 chip but I made the decision to support Team Red (for the first time in years) out of principle because I'm sick of Intel's unethical and corrupt business practices and I don't want to give them another dime.

0 Likes
samerhilaly
Journeyman III

Ryzen APUs 2400G and 2200G doesn't support dual graphics as all of 7th generation AMD APUs

you can see it here:

https://products.amd.com/en-us/search/APU/AMD-Ryzen%E2%84%A2-Processors/AMD-Ryzen%E2%84%A2-5-Process...

0 Likes

Ah.  I had assumed it would work the same as Intel integrated graphics, which was my motivation for choosing it over a regular Ryzen.  Oh well.

I moved the 2400G to a different motherboard and reinstalled Windows and the dedicated GPU now works.  But as expected, the 2400G graphics are disabled.

Thanks for the info!

0 Likes

Generally the BIOS should disable the integrated graphics when a PCI Express graphics card is installed but many do not do that which leads to all kinds of problems.

My old i3-2100 has integrated graphics and when I finally got a more recent BIOS installed I was able to use a video card for the machine that did not cause problems with windows 10

I have been using windows 10 since it was an early preview.

0 Likes

Maybe it was like that in the 2xxx series but my i5-4460 graphics worked fine alongside dedicated GPUs.  2 outputs from the integrated and 4 from the dedicated worked simultaneously.

0 Likes

I suspect the BIOS people will eventually get around to it. I recall it took Asus more than 2 years to fix all the problems. Some of the BIOS updates even forced me to reinstall windows a few times.

When the I3-2100 box with upgraded with proper UEFI it finally worked with secure boot etc.

0 Likes