cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tezcatlipoca665
Journeyman III

Ryzen 3700X GPU incompatibility causing bootloops?

Hi,

This has been an ongoing issue for me for about two years now and this is just the latest version of it, only now I've recently discovered that I have WHEA and WATCHDOG Windows dump files for when this happens, so I'll try to condense this post as best I can since it's overly long and complicated:

My PC randomly entered some kind of hibernation mode (hibernation/sleep was/is not activated on Windows) when I left my PC for a few hours. It would only bootloop after having to power it down. This has happened before many times, and I thought it was the GPU last time (an RTX 2070 Super), so I was given a refund on it and replaced it with an RX6800, and the same thing has been happening. This also happened with a Vega 64 I had prior to the RTX 2070 Super too. Random restarts followed eventually with periods of bootlooping until I can't even see the BIOS, let alone get near Windows.

I have a spare GT730 GPU that works flawlessly when installed. It's PCIE powered, so I believe this is some PSU-powered GPU compatibility issue with either my Ryzen 3700X or with the Crosshair VII Hero motherboard. I reinstalled Windows altogether yesterday and that helped me get closer into Windows again with the RX6800, but the furthest I get after multiple bootloops is the desktop shortly after logging in before another restart.

Here are my specs:

- ASUS X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero
- AMD Ryzen 3700x
- ASUS TUF RX6800
- EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G5 80+ GOLD 750W
- 4 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz RAM

And here's a list of everything I've done already to try and fix this:

• using only one stick of RAM
  • testing each stick of RAM singularly
  • Memtest64 shows no errors (I've done this multiple times over the months)
  • using only one hard drive
  • disconnecting all hard drives just to see if I could at least get a boot error on screen
  • CMOS resets - sometimes several times a day
  • Default BIOS settings when I'm able to access the BIOS
  • Tested both PCI-E slots with the GT730 and RX6800 (GT730 always works in both)
  • Tried a new EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G5 PSU in place of my EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU
  • Stress tested the CPU with 3DMark to see if the CPU itself has issues (it doesn't seem to)
  • New thermal paste applied to CPU
  • CPU reseated
  • Disconnecting every PC case cable from motherboard and just using the motherboard's 'start' button to boot
  • Trying both the HDMI and DP connections of the RX6800 to the monitor
  • Updated motherboard BIOS just released (8/8/2022)
  • Reinstalled BIOS multiple times (previous versions to the one released on the 8th of August)
  • Manually changed BIOS settings so PCI-E slot was at Gen 3 instead of Auto
  • Booted with keyboard as the only USB device
  • Uninstalled all ASUS drivers and software
  • Uninstalled AMD drivers with their own driver removal software, and with DDU software in Windows safe mode (multiple times)
  • Fresh new install of Windows 10
  • Tried different power cable
  • Tried different outlet

I might be forgetting some other things I've tried recently too.

Here's some info from the most recent WATCHDOG dump file after one of the random restarts happened shortly after I was finally able to get into Windows yesterday. These are also the same as every other dump file I had before I reinstalled Windows yesterday too:

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  LKD_0x141_IMAGE_amdkmdag.sys

And here's more from the WHEA dump file that was generated for the same restart:

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  LKD_0x124_0_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR__UNKNOWN_IMAGE_AuthenticAMD.sys

I'm not sure if I'm right, but it looks like there's some incompatibility either with the Crosshair VII Hero motherboard and PSU-powered GPUs, or with the Ryzen 3700X and PSU-powered GPUs, but which is it? Anybody have any ideas based on the above dump file errors? If I need to replace either the motherboard or CPU, I'd rather find out which it is so I don't waste money on both. I think I've narrowed this down as much as I possibly can at this point, so any help is appreciated. Thank you!

0 Likes
0 Replies