Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

A-ACH
Adept I

Ryzen 2950x Very slow on windows 11

Hello there!
I hope that someone can help me! 

My Ryzen TR 2950x running slower than 1950x on windows 11 v23H2, I did a lot of Cinebench2024 tests recently but the result is bad (under 600pts i most tests), Also sometimes it freezes during rendering with V-Ray or ArnoldRenderer,
I had lot of drop performance generally and drop FPS in gaming, I  reset the Bios to it's default settings but still the same sluggish & slow!

Regards,

My Specs:
Mobo: MSI MEG X399 Creation

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100I RGB Platinium,

GPU: ASUS TUF RTX 4070 Ti

64GB RAM,

2x M.2 Samsung 980 Pro 500GB/1TB).

0 Likes
48 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

A-ACH, please post your power supply specs. Please run Cinebench R24 and post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM). Have you tested a 1950X in this machine? I assume you are aware that R24 scores are far below R23s. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply,
PSU: Corsair HX1200 Platinum
Ryzen Master Can't run because of Virtualization (VBS) enabled now, i will disable it from the BIOS and try to take a screenshot.

I never tested a 1950x but when Cinebench 2024 start rendering the score of it is listed there as in the attached image.

A-Ach,

C24 Scores.jpg

0 Likes
A-ACH
Adept I

Here's the screenshot of RM during Cinebench24 rendering.Ryzen Master during Cinebench r24 render.jpg

0 Likes

Looks like your Threadripper is being capped at 3.5Ghz. I would believe that on a stress test it should go above 3.5Ghz easily.

Possibly a BIOS Setting or in Ryzen Master is capping your processor's speed. I would reset Ryzen Master back to default and run the Cinebench 2024 test again and see if there is any difference. Reboot after resetting Ryzen Master.

If not then go into BIOS and see if your have any AMD overclocking settings enabled like PBO if that is applicable for your processor.

Your AMD Specs on your Threadripper:

Max. Boost Clock

Up to 4.4GHz

Default TDP: 180W

Base Clock: 3.5GHz

Max. Operating Temperature (Tjmax): 68°C

So basically your Threadripper is running slightly above it base CPU speed of 3.5Ghz at 3.9Ghz.

In Ryzen Master, at the top are any of the Icons in RED?  If they are that indicates that your processor is being throttled either by the Motherboard or the Processor itself which could be capping your CPU speed.

Also check Windows Power Plan and make sure your CPU Maximum State is at 100%.

You are below the Max. Oper. Temp. of 68c so it isn't due to overheating issue that the processor is running slower.

Do you have PBO enabled in BIOS? This setting is AMD safe way of overclocking your processor to run within its maximum safe range of speed which is 4.4Ghz for single core testing at least.

NOTE: Found this tech site with various AMD and Inter Cinebench 2024 scores: https://www.cgdirector.com/cinebench-2024-scores/

Screenshot 2024-02-23 145134.png

Decided to delete my answer since it wasn't relevant to the OP's issue.

0 Likes

Which screenshot/image you want to delete @elstaci ?

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes

When I tried to upload the second image, the cursor wouldn't appear under the first image. So I clicked below the first image and posted the second image which ended up on top of the first image.

I then tried to delete second image that was on top which was successful and after refreshing the page I was able to see the cursor below the first image and then uploaded the second image which all it did was to duplicate both images.

Please delete the second duplicate of the first image and the last duplicate of the second image on the reply.

Thanks, Sam.

EDIT: Normally when I delete an image and I click on it, it is highlighted which means it has be selected. But in this reply and others replies with similar issues when I click on the image it isn't highlighted. So unable to delete but at times I am able to delete by clicking delete a line above the image. In this case it didn't work for some reason.

EDIT #2: Okay you must of done something because now I was able to highlight and delete both images but not easily. I couldn't scroll all the way up and found out when I highlighted the first image it also deleted part of my reply above it. Now I have it the way I wanted to look.

Thanks Sam.

0 Likes

I'm glad it worked. FYI, we are about to deploy a new text editor which impacts the entire platform. The new text editor will be used for Discussions, Blogs, TKBs, etc. We are in the UAT phase of the project, and to be honest I'm expecting more "bugs" to surface in the next two or three weeks. Thank you for your patience and please let me know if you experience similar issues.  

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

@Sam_AMD 

Well do.

Sam please delete all the replies concerning this issue from this thread since it has nothing to do with the OP's thread.

Thanks for the update again.

0 Likes

Thanks, A-ACH. Something is clearly not right. While I am thinking, please do a Clear CMOS and rerun Cinebench after installing the latest version of RM. I have  a 1950X in the closet and will see if I can find some RM images. Have you disabled Core Performance Boost? Get back to you. thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
A-ACH
Adept I

Hello John, thank you for the effort!

PBO is AUTO by default and the options i have is: Disabled / CPU 500W/ CPU 400W/ CPU 300W/ Auto, So i don't know what i can choose in these options, can you guide me please!

I don't think the issue is being capped at 3.5Ghz! because it is so slow even when am navigating folders or browsing, or do nothing heavy just simple light tasks i feel the slowness and something is wrong!
it was working super fast and stable before in the same settings of both BIOS & Windows.

I do Clear CMOS Several times the BIOS reset to it's default but nothing changed in the performance.

There is one more thing i want to mention if it can help, i have Post code 33 on my MOBO for a while like since 2 years ago in the first i didn't realize it is an error code because i was thinking is a temperature, i read many articles about it from people having same problem with same specs and the shared solution but any of them worked for me.

I was tested the memory with "Memtest86" and i found 1 stick 16GB of ram is faulty, and the same result using "OCCT" with result lot of error and WHEA detects,

Then i tested each (CPU, GPU, Memory) with OCCT 1H Stability tests with no error founds, also tried to use only 1 / 2 sticks of ram no errors but still slow.

Also i have lots of Warning About WHEA-LOGGER 17 in the Event viewer which is related to "Intel I211 Gigabit Network Connection" integrated network card

0 Likes

A-ACH, not getting much traction. Have you done a Clear CMOS and run CB? If not please do. In general, do not ignore memory errors. Get the reporting sticks replaced or at least removed. I'll start again tomorrow. Enjoy, John.

A-ACH
Adept I

#UPDATE: WHEA LOGGER 17 Related to "PCI Express Root Port"  with NVMe Samsung 980 pro 1TB installed to it! still i don't think it has something to do with drop performance since i already checked the SSD's with Magician & CrystalDiskInfo and it is in Good Health.WHEA17.pngWHEA17.pngMagicianHealth check.png

0 Likes

A-ACH, I would like to see the Details Tab of one or two of the Warning messages. I tried using Magician on my Samsung SSDs but they are in RAIDs so no info. I suggest you send Samsung an image of your messages and see what they think. Also ask them why no SMART data. Does the ? show anything? I need to see a screenshot of the latest RM, Advanced View. I could find no information on my old 1950X. Maybe traction will come with new RM. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
A-ACH
Adept I

Hello John, I already share it but somehow not uploaded with latest reply with screenshots !

I'll disable VBS from BIOS in order to open RM, then i will share the screenshotWHEALogger2.pngWHEALogger1.png

0 Likes

Thanks, A-ACH. Not much information here. Be sure to click Select All before sending to Samsung. Looking forward to seeing RM SSs. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
A-ACH
Adept I

Thanks John, I can't find RM advance view, maybe there is a different versions for a specific CPU's!
Also can't find a contact form related to NVMe SSD in Samsung site, all support there just about "FAQ's"!
I maked fresh install of Windows 11 23H2 and the scores even worse, very slow in system boot after i enter the password and press enter it takes a long time to see the desktop and sometime it freeze in the transition between Lock Screen and desktop i see the Taskbar but the screen lock stuck there in a few seconds before full desktop shows. !

RM_Last1.png

0 Likes

Thanks, A-ACH. This looks like a very old version of RM. Please DL the latest here. I will see about Samsung support, have contacted them some time ago. The screenshot shows throttling due to PPT. I can show you how to raise the limit in the latest RM. It seems like I raised the limit way back in BIOS, but cannot remember the steps. Please contact your MB vendor and ask them. If W11 was very slow on the first boot it may have been a combination of memory training and W11 finishing install. BTW just because you see the lock, does no always mean you cannot do any thing. Enjoy, John.

Edit: Samsung support.

0 Likes
A-ACH
Adept I

Hello John,
No it's a new RM version, I've installed the latest one from the link you shared and it's the same as the previous one, I think is limited from AMD targeting specific CPU's which is weird!

I can raise the limit in BIOS but am not sure about the values and if i can go above PPT 180W is it safe?

I fixed the issue of windows 11 slow boot by perform "clean boot" and i find that "Corsair iCue" was causing the problem.

Regard;

0 Likes

A-ACH, it has often been my advice to users to get nothing but BIOS from the MD vendor. They are the prime source on bad drivers and utilities. Other vendors often share their evil. Did your iCue fix correct the poor Cinebench scores? I cannot answer your question about upping PPT limit. Again I suggest you ask your MB vendor about the poor performance and now about PPT. If you do raise the limit, do it a little at a time. Please go to settings in RM and see what it says the version is. Sorry, I do not remember RM looking like yours. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
A-ACH
Adept I

John, I'll ask the MD vendor for sure, iCue fix did not correct the poor Cinebench scores but only fixed the boot time and navigation lag.
RM version: 2.13.0.2908, btw i get the version from windows => Settings => Installed apps => RM, because RM can't run with VBS enabled which is annoying go back and forth to the BIOS in order to open RM, i don't know why is not working with VBS on!! i find the system more responsive with VBS enabled.
Thanks, A-ACH

0 Likes

A-ACH, the VBS/RM restriction has always been there. I assume some conflict that AMD could not easily resolve. Seems strange to me, documented in RM Quick Reference Guide. I still run Hyper-V occasionally but used to do it a lot. I have the same version as you if it is really 2.12.0.2908. I hope you removed iCue. Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: I found a number of post via search at the top showing 2950X with PPT limit at 700 and even 1000 Watts. Here's one. All that I saw were using the 180 Watt.

0 Likes

Hello, Still have the problem, I've contact MSI for that and after a long conversation back and forth they said: "The CPU low scores maybe it related to the CPU itself"!

0 Likes

A-ACH, the low scores are CLEARLY caused by throttling caused by PPT limit! Have you tried raising PPT LIMIT? Of course MSI is going to blame the processor. I have not studied the MSI board but suspect the VRM is at the root of the problem. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Did you ask MSI what was a safe limit?

0 Likes

Yes i tried to raise PPT LIMIT but the CPU Being throttled by temperature once it hits 68c the clocks goes down and the temperature too, I don't have the proper settings for the PPT Limit, I'm not an expert with the overclocking stuff so am still waiting MSI's response about it! 
I have tested COD 3 WZ3 with BIOS CPU boost 4.2Ghz and monitoring with RTSS, Graphics = Low, DLSS=Quality/ Upscale=Quality on 4K res,
Here's the result: 54-75 FPS
Temperature of CPU=42c / GPU=48c,
Usage of CPU 40% / GPU 75-85%,
Power: CPU=80-110w / GPU=120-180w
Ram Usage: 13600MB
Latency: CPU=14ms / GPU=4ms

Before it was smooth and above 100FPS with graphics Setting= HIGH!

I need to know where is the problem from exactly !

Thanks

0 Likes
A-ACH
Adept I

Yes i do uninstall iCue, I already test PPT limit at 200-220 Watts and CPU Clock raise to 4200Mhz + in the first minute but when exceeds 180w the CPU start overheating immediately and begin throttling and the Clock goes down in order to lower the temperature and the scores was worse.
I think i need OC guide from an expert has experiences with the same CPU model or so!
Thanks John,

0 Likes
SerchTech
Adept II

Hi A-ACH

Here is another TR 2950X user but on ASRock X399 Taichi. I am not an advanced OCer either, just activating PBO in BIOS without altering any default values by ASRock, nothing more. My CPU cooler is a Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro TR4, this is my CPU (Multi Core) score in Cinebench 2024.1.0

Cinebench 2024_CPU_Edit.png

Obviously something is wrong with your system and I don't have the answers as @misterj but agree that you should demand them from MSI. In addition to resolving your doubts regarding the performance of your 2950X IMO they should offer you explanations as to why they have not published new BIOS versions since 2022 with AGESA versions 1.1.0.5 and 1.1.0.7 that AMD provided them between 2022 and 2023 respectively. If MSI has frozen support for its X399 series motherboards then it is turning them into some very nice paperweights, in other words a complete lack of respect for its users/customers/owners.

From my non advanced POV almost everything is easy to solve with updated BIOS and good technical support, if MSI doesn't offer you both just say goodbye, maybe you can get an ASUS or ASRock X399 on the used market, at least they do keep their BIOS updated. I would also advise you to rule out your 2950X being defective with AMD support.

Just my opinion and it will be a pleasure to read your discoveries and solutions
0 Likes

Thanks, SerchTech. To help please more post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) while running Cinebench. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hello, thanks!

here is the latest RM screenshots while rendering with cinebenech24RM_Last 2.jpgRM_Last 3.jpgRM_Last 4.jpg

0 Likes

latest scoresC_r24_Scores_Last01.jpg

0 Likes

Hi, SerchTech. Thanks for the comment,

I already contact MSI about this issue and also about the update of BIOS there's only old Beta version since 2022 they simply say sorry "MSI have no plan to release any new BIOS" ! 

The conversation with MSI Tech-support going very slow without any solution or result just "Bla bla bla.." & more questions nothing to do with the issue!

I was bought The MOBO in Madrid, I'm living in Morocco now so it's very difficult to order pc components to Morocco, It will be very expensive because of shipping & import fees.

Also i need to determine which hardware causing the slow perform exactly in order replace it !

0 Likes

Hi SerchTech can you tell me about the CPU Temperatures "Value & Max" while rendering with CB 2024 !!
thanks,

0 Likes

Hi A-ACH

Bellow a screenshot of RM 2.13.0.2908 while running Cinebench with PBO set to Auto in the latest BIOS version offered by ASRock, using AMD Ryzen Power Plan as recommended by AMD and selecting Maximum Performance in Windows Settings

RM_noPBO_Cinebench.png

and bellow a screenshot of RM while running Cinebench with same settings and software versions above except PBO Enabled in BIOS, values by ASRock unmodified

RM_Cinebench2024.png

EDIT: The last screenshot is taken at the beginning of Cinebench, before the end the temperature is 67.50 Cº and core speed ~3950Mhz

0 Likes

@SerchTech Thanks a lot, I have similar CPU temperature & core speed while rendering in CB except for the RAM is running at 1067Mhz which is default speed with XMP profile disabled, but with low scores of corse,

0 Likes

Thanks to you A-ACH. Please see my reply to latest post of misterj

Best regards

0 Likes
A-ACH
Adept I

So as i see from @SerchTech screenshot that my CPU is like 40% slower than usual, running at max! Ooh man!

0 Likes

A-ACH, there are four 2950X processors in your SS of CB. Are those all yours? Is your machine running in four channel mode having plugged four sticks in the correct sockets? Increasing the PPT has certainly helped. We do not know the details of @SerchTech screenshot but it could be OCed etc. Please try running CB R23 and compare to here. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

misterj, Yes all 4 CPU's in CB is mine with a different times, the one with 564 scores it was canceled by me. It was 4 Sticks before i found one of them is faulty by MemTest86 so i cancel the stick and now i have only 3 sticks of Ram on it, I've tried only 1 / 2 Stick on the correct sockets according to the manual from MSI, but no difference is noticeable so i leave 3 sticks. is there any recommendations about this "Channel mode" because i have no idea which is good for me!!
Thanks,

0 Likes

A-ACH, if the four stick set is not out of warranty, then I suggest you RMA the set else buy a new set. I ran with 3 sticks for a while due to a bad MB, do not remember numbers but four channels is much better. Have you tried CB R23? Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes