cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

pigeon
Journeyman III

New build crashing randomly / AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D

I recently bought a CPU upgrade for my pc which included MB, CPU, RAM and PSU, I upgraded the BIOS Version to the latest and also Installed Chipset drivers, like in AMDs guide to X3D Processors. It first seemed all fine, but every time after the first longer run it would randomly crash, either completely power down or just freeze. No matter if on load or in idle. Stressing the System does not seem to trigger it at all. Its just random. I have tried new OS install, swapping the Drives but to no avail. Memtest etc also say everything is fine. I have tried different settings in the bios, with expo without expo, optimized defaults, no cbs as well as different Bios Versions itself. All that did nothelp, so I contacted the store to give me some exchange. First they exchanged the CPU which did not help, then the Mainboard, which also did not help. Then the Ram, another Mainboard and another new CPU which also did not help. Right now I have no Idea what to do. Is the new Ryzen 9 7950X3D so unstable? What can I do. The only thing that stays the same after Hardware switch is the case, cooler, Graphicscard, and the new PSU, which all work with no problems when hooked 

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D

Gigabyte B650 AORUS PRO AX

Kingston Fury 5600 64gb DDR5 (2x 32)

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB

NVIDIA 2080 Ti

Tough power GF3 1200W

NZXT x73 AIO

Windows 10

29 Replies
SamFromIT
Adept I

I have the 7950X3D and a Asus B650 ROG STRIX with 32 GB of 6000 and a 980 PRO 2 TB SSD also.  I'm seeing the same crashes, sometimes 3-4 times in DOTA 2 and occasional CPU freeze and hard crash.  I've testing all my other components (GPU - FurMark, RAM - MemTest86, and SSD - ChkDsk/Samsung Magician) and there is no other issues.  I do test my CPU with Prime95, specifically "Small FFTs (tests L1/L2/L3 caches, maximum power/heat/CPU stress) and about half of my CPU threads will fail.  I'm curious if you'd see the same result, have you tried it? 

0 Likes

For dota, try use VULKAN.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
Yukinobi
Adept I

That's why im switching to Intel blue team soon, having problems since i build a new PC with Ryzen 9 5900X, was a big disappointment, with sounds problems like stuttering while in game, sound pops, crackling sound, sound stutters, choppy sound, random PC freezes and crashes, its a mess.

AMD still has not managed to fix these issues to this day. I would say everyone should stay away from the current AM5 generation and also AM4, I should have gone with Intel from the beginning.

Building my PC with AMD platform was a waste of money and time, I really regret it.

So I fixed my stuttering and crashing issue and wanted to share in case it could help.  I have DDR5 6000 MHz memory and you need to use an EXPO profile to reach it from the default DDR5 EXPO.  With my motherboard manufacturer, ASUS, there is 3 available EXPO profiles, EXPO 1, EXPO 2, and EXPO Tweaked.  1 uses timings from the RAM itself, 2 uses the AMD timings (both had same timings/MHz from what it showed), and EXPO tweaked is ASUS’s adjusted EXPO profile.  Now for my 7950X3D, were all these reports of overvolting with the motherboard configurations and damage to the 3D cache, so I never used it but one day last week I said **bleep** it and tried it.

BOOM!  Just like that, my pc didn’t crash on Prime95, my hiccups and stutters were gone, and no applications have crashed since.  I’ve read on Reddit and these forums that the EXPO profiles are pretty jacked for AMD and it appears that was my case too.  Idk what ASUS did to tweak EXPO but it worked and I haven’t had an issue since using it.  For reference, it’s been about 6 days of 4-5 hours average use and testing with stress test utilities without issue as of writing this, where before I couldn’t go an hour without it crashing or failing.

Is it stable when idle after boot? Lots of BSOD reported that only happened in idle.

0 Likes

Actually, I have had it happen several times where I’ll leave for a while and come back to it unresponsive, still on but I’m unable to get it to do anything, just a black screen.  The only fox is to restart.  I turned off sleep in settings and it seemed to fix it but that was another issue I had.

0 Likes

Same issue I have now. To nail it, my PC is currently bare-borne to ground including OS, App. No sleep mode.

Very annoying.

Did you try expo 2?

I switched from 7950x3d to 7950x to test and the 7950x only works with expo 2, but it dawned on me I never tried expo 2 with the x3d. Might try switching again in a few days to test it. Just curious if you had tried it?

0 Likes

In order to nail down the root cause, I tested with only one DDR5 row and at low speed (3600) without applying any Expo or XMP. The crash persists. It has nothing to do with DDR5.

Same regret here. Tons of headache that shouldn't be here if only we have stayed blue...

Windows 11 pushed me to upgrade to newer cpu. Don't expect my new build to be really productive this year. My previous Win10 machine worked 7+ years without error.

So why changed then? IF 7 year no error??? It is all your fault, dont blame anyone else ;)))

0 Likes

Windows 10 is getting obsolete in 2025.

@TomBoy Imagine that, it is still working ways better than windows 11 I tried W11 twice, it is totall bulsht. I am not switching any time soon!

0 Likes
TomBoy
Adept II

Tested 1 week with the RMA'd CPU. Same thing. System crashed during idle unless Global C-State is disabled.

The C-state incompatible of AMD 7950x is real. AMD managed to send me another CPU with same bug. Frustrated.

I just managed to get my 7950X3D to be RMA’d and will get the replacement tomorrow.  Fingers crossed it doesn’t have the same crashing issues but I’ll have to try the disabling of the C-State if it does, thanks for the tip.

0 Likes

BIOS - most recent version

Stress test - The issue appears only when idle at 0%~1% CPU load. Running under stress has been fine though. The system is striped down to borne with 1 row RAM at low clock. GPU is internal or external.

CPU thermal - It's at 45 ~ 50 degrees.

I've isolated it down to C-State incompatibility issue. Windows 11 triggers various c-states randomly, That's when CPU crashes. It's OS behavior that's beyond my control.

Although I can avoid it by setting Global C-State disabled, I've lost confidence in this 7950x with bug.

0 Likes
DanLewisSEO
Journeyman III

I have been living in this hell. I have replaced nearly every component on my computer now other than the processor. I just turned off the c-state so hoping that works. I have:

Ryzen 9 7950X3d. 

Asus ROG Strix B650E-F motherboard

SFX Radeon 6700 graphics card

DDR5 5600 Ram (should I do the Expo profile)

I am up and running at the moment after disabling c-state but who knows if that will stick. It ran for a couple of months with no issues then it just started going downhill fast. I noticed that if I took ram out or added ram it would re-start for a bit sometimes only for a short time though so I keep swapping that out to test things. I wonder if the old ram is dead. I just stuck new ram in thinking that.

0 Likes

I went in and did EXPO and it still crashed, It seems like inactivity and or explorer.exe can crash it.

I have been buying exclusively AMD since the pre-athalon days. I can not imagine buying another one after this. There needs to be answer and if they have chips this bad on the market they should be recalling them. Now I need what open a ticket and RMA my chip and hope the one they eventually send me is not also bad?

0 Likes

Well this is lovely, I tried to install the AMD adrenalin software and it would not because it detected AMD graphics processor that was not supported. **bleep** its their graphics processor and they can not work with itself? I have to figure out which version of embedded software that of course does not list the card at all. This is stupid.

0 Likes

I’ve owned the 7950X3D since it came out on day 1 of Feb 2023.  I’ve had to RMA it and its replacement still gives me issues…. I’ll share what has helped me get it stable (still get hiccups, where the system lags and freezes for a second).

-Update to latest bios (30 Jan 2024 as of writing)

-Disable C-states in BIOS

-Use Expo II for ram configurations

-Disable Sleep mode in windows

if anyone has any forums on Reddit that have other user’s tips on working with settings to get better stability with the 7950X3D, please do share.  I’m over $1,000 invested into this with the cpu, mobo, and ram so I’d like to not have to spend that again to switch to Intel if I can troubleshoot the issues away…

0 Likes
DanLewisSEO
Journeyman III

I will try expo II I have it on EXPO and it did not help at all. Disabling C-States did seem to help for a few days but then it went right back to its crashing. I need to look into the bios update as well.

I basically gave up yesterday and ordered a LGA1700 board and i5 chip. I figured I could upgrade the chip once I had it finally stable and sorted out what I could hang onto, I have bought replacement motherboards, ram & video card trying to sort it out. I will be trying to RMA my chip. But if I do ever get it back up and running it will be as a backup not as my primary, the primary will be intel from now on. That is a 30 year history of only AMD being over and seems really weird.

0 Likes
Vxsery
Journeyman III

I’m getting literal depression dealing with random crashes and issues just as everyone else has in this thread.  After having put so much effort into my build, it is incredibly anxiety producing having the lights go out in an instant and not knowing why!

I have a 7950x3d on a ASUS Crosshair X670E with latest BIOS (1905). I haven’t tried the EXPO tweaked settings or disabling c-states, but I’ll give that a try next. I already have sleep mode disabled in windows cause it just would not reliably resume from sleep. Additionally, I disabled USB4 support because I kept getting insane stuttering for 30 seconds or more due driver issues.

I really hope there’s still a chance these issues can get resolved. But a year later, seems more likely that this will be my first and last build with AMD. 

0 Likes

All it takes is some time tweaking to make it stable. It took me 6 months. I built it last June for future (now) need. Now it's solid.

I RMA'd ASRock motherboard and 7950x. No difference. Everything began to make sense after removing ASRock motherboard monitor software utility. It's a piece of powerful software. Win11 became unstable with that level of hardware tweaking.

0 Likes
Hybris86
Journeyman III

I have a Ryzen9 7900X3D and my system worked for a few month without any problems. Now I'm having those freezes too. I tried everything anyone ever suggested - nothing worked. I even removed my 4090 and used the iGPU just to test it. No change.

It is really frustrating. I kind of regret switching to AMD right now...

0 Likes

Please refer to my above reply for Vxsery.

0 Likes
Teadrinker
Adept I

Hello all.

I have a 7900X3D and I too had these problems:

1. Unstable resume from sleep/idle.

2. Random system crashes into an unreadable BSOD (which I could read them using nirsoft BlueScreenView).

But for me both of these problems were solved after going into BIOS settings and reducing RAM frequency by 200 Mhz (from 6400 to 6200). I have XMP enabled RAM.

0 Likes
AlphaAI
Journeyman III

Has anyone found a solution to this damned issue with 7950x3D crashing?  Been struggling to find a solution to getting mine fixed.  I am experiencing random reboots and hangs before reboots.  Tried C-states and all that *bleep* and still crashes.  Currently in contact with AMD's RMA team.

0 Likes
Max2050
Journeyman III

I have same crashes with blue screen and freezes. I had many times crashes during dowloading and installing games, programs.

Bios is the newest.

Temp of all system was norm.

I have asus x670e-i, 7950x3d, 6Ghz ram.

With expo 1 i had couple months no problems. After instaling win 11, i had crashes. Instaling win 10 did't helped. Installing old driver also. With expo tweaked system is not loading, fans started, lighting is on but i can't go into bios. Reset bios did't helped. Set off C- states i have't tryed. Expo 2 i have not tryed. 

0 Likes

UPD

The problem was in ram freq, timings and voltages.

Higher voltage and higher timings with my 6GHz ram 2x48GB kingstone fury rgb solved the problem. 

0 Likes