Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

amite
Adept II

MY new AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 6 cores ?

Just got it a week ago and it is great. Hot but Great - really like

One thing I just noticed  In CPU Z,Cpuid and control pannel detail it is showing only 6 cores. 

Have a Asus Strix and Bios up to date - Just thought I would just through this out there .

Should I return or just wait for up dates.

Luv me some AMD - This thing rips trough NMS ))

14 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

That sounds strange to only have six cores reported in those applications.  I wonder if they need further updates to report that all eight cores are there?  Is there another app that can report the core count, like the AMD adrenalin graphics driver?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

That sounds extra wild! Could you post a screenshot? Where did you get it from? Should definitely be showing more than 6 cores whether they're being used or not.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

Up dated 570x chipset - no change all the apps are updated - bought from Amazon 

my 6 core 8 core.png

I have the same issue as well with my 5900HX showing as a 4 core instead of 8 core. It happened after updating ASUS bios

Yep that is what I am thinking. Just going to wait for updates.

I am pretty sure it is running 8 cores / it is just too smooth - with some one click "auto" overclock in the bios it is running at a ""steady"" 3700mhz in NMS - Blows the 5600x I had away in FPS and stutter dips.

Will update when I get some more info. 

Thanks for you alls input.

JS

0 Likes

What do device manager & task manager show for your cpu?  They should match and show your processor cores.

hrpuffnstuff_0-1659223935184.png

0 Likes

Sounds like a BIOS snafu, not a real problem.  Send an email to Asus and see what they say.  Also, look into comments from other folks that are using AMD CPU's on the ASUS motherboards.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

Yeah they do show the 8 / 16 cores in the Divice Manager View . Thanks

I've never seen anything like that. That's extra crazy. I'm assuming before you bought the 58X3D you had a 6 core 12thread processor like the 3600/5600, perhaps? If so, it might still be reading that. A shot in the dark I know. You might can go into device manager under processor and see what that is reporting. If your old processor is there, you could delete it from the list. Just tossing ideas as I've never seen this before. I'll for sure follow the thread in case you do find an answer as I'm curious.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

Yep you are right a 5600x - I started to mention that. It makes about as much sencce as anything right now. I can feel the difference big time over a 5600x - I know it is a overused saying but this thing is a beast ))

It is all good will update when I see a change

GL to us all ))3d.png

0 Likes

While this thread is older (and my reply won't help you), I would still like to thank you for your report!

Reason is that I was thinking about getting a 5800X3D, but disabling two cores and limiting the power to 65W, as I'm running a thermally challenged mini-ITX system. I wanted to know whether disabling cores would also disable parts of the 3D V-cache. I'm no longer considering the upgrade coming from a 5600X, but it's still interesting.

Seems its truly shared amongst all cores according to your first screenshot, even if individual cores are disabled via some way.

Your last screenshot shows 16 logical CPUs, so 8 physical cores. I guess it started working fine for you at some point?

0 Likes

I have the same issue:

Ryzen 5800X3D showing as 6 cores (previously had a 5600X and a 5600G in the motherboard before it).

In Device Manager 8/16 processors are shown; however, in HWMonitor and Task Manager only 6 cores (12 logical processors) are shown.

HWMonitor does, however, show the temperatures of all 8 cores; and I can see when running a Cinebench multi-core workload that only 6 cores are being used. See below image:

Capture.PNG

0 Likes

I found a solution, as per:
Microsoft Community: Task Manager is only showing only half of my cores and logical processors. 

1. Run msconfig
  2. Select Boot tab
  3. Click Advanced options... button
  4. Ensure Number of processors checkbox is unticked
  5. Untick above checkbox
  6. Click OK
  7. Click Apply
  8. Allow the computer to reboot

Note, on my PC, the dropdown initially only showed 12 processors but after rebooting now shows 16, and I'm seeing 8 cores in HWMonitor and Task Manager.

Cinebench is now using all cores.

Thank You for the fix! 

0 Likes