cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

wedgeffiv
Journeyman III

My 3950x suddenly has very high idle and load temps after 2 years

My ryzen 3950 overheated causing my pc to shut down. 

My idle temps at 2% load is 70-82c. On stress test is goes pass the limit to 96c.

I bought a msi 360 water cooler and still have the same problem.

I also tried 4 different thermal paste.(Artic silver, cooler master, Enermax and the one that came with my msi cooler) 

Is the processor broken? Should I by another one.

0 Likes
1 Solution

"Following a preliminary investigation, MSI has discovered that a “small portion” of its MAG Coreliquid 240R and 360R AIO water coolers are producing sediment, causing blockages that are impairing heat dissipation efficiency. This is leading to temperatures on the best gaming CPUs from both AMD and Intel rising to over 60°C while idle." --pcgamesn

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

Did you leave that plastic shield on your heatsink? Then heat can't get to heatsink/cooler. Plastic shield is on the heatsink, on the surface, that is supposed to touch CPU.

When CPU's were smaller, it didn't matter, but these days I'd recommend spreading paste to cover the whole area. Use a credit card or similar to spread the paste, but know that it is quite messy stuff.

Is the heatsink/cooler properly installed and the fan is spinning?

0 Likes
wedgeffiv
Journeyman III

I just now used some high density paste and spread it with my finger across the whole chip. I'm getting 82c as i'm typing. There is no plastic over the metal. My temps use to be 43-50 idle and 74 on load. It jumped up last week and never goes down. Screenshot (28).jpg

0 Likes
DimkaTsv
Miniboss

"msi cooler"

You don know that some MSI AIO currently are known for erosive clogging of microfins in waterblock. And as you said it only happened recently, RIP for your cooler. 

"Following a preliminary investigation, MSI has discovered that a “small portion” of its MAG Coreliquid 240R and 360R AIO water coolers are producing sediment, causing blockages that are impairing heat dissipation efficiency. This is leading to temperatures on the best gaming CPUs from both AMD and Intel rising to over 60°C while idle." --pcgamesn

Thanks, i was lazy to find source)

0 Likes
wedgeffiv
Journeyman III

It seems that something was wrong with the MAG Coreliquid 360 cooler. I tried a new cooler and now I'm 39c idle and 58c on load. Thanks for the reply. I would have never guess it.

0 Likes