cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jgolde02
Journeyman III

Is this cooler a new cooler & processor?

I bought a processor from a 3rd party amazon seller - listed as new condition (Ryzen 7 2700).  When it arrived the box was a little beat up and the packaging seems a bit dodgy - but the seal was sealed.   I opened the package to inspect the items and I noted the following:

* No inner box for the processor - just the plastic insert that looks like what the inner box contained on unboxing videos I have seen.  I'm not sure if there are multiple packaging types so this may not be an indication of anything.

* There are scratches on the copper interface to the processor and there is a small amount of debris in the thermal paste (see picture).

Two questions:

Can we definitely say based on my description above that this processor is not new or is new but has been repackaged?

Can we definitely say based on the photo of the cooler that the cooler is not new?   Or is this typical of the manufacturing process?

Is it worth the risk to try to install this processor at this point?   Should I clean the interface on the cooler and apply new paste given the debris?

Thank you in advance for your help!

4 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Your processor is not new. The thermal plate comes with a bandage. Since probably there was no bandage, it is dirty. When you buy a microprocessor, you never get the old impression. Also, you don't need to use thermal paste. You only need to clean the cooler as much as possible.

Sorry if I am not understanding what you are saying on the not needing thermal paste. You always need thermal paste or pad between the processor and the heatsink. Pads typically work better.

OP you definitely got a used processor. Unless you got a stellar deal and know it is okay, report it to Amazon. I'd report it either way honestly. 

Thanks to both of you -- I ended up returning it as not matching the website description.  It wasn't a particularly good deal - I snagged a 3700x from Microcenter for the same price today.   

OP does not need thermal paste because thermal pad (plate, I typed wrong) exist with the cooler if OP want to use the old CPU. It can be cleaned and used with a dry cloth without pressing.

0 Likes