cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

voL4eHok
Adept I

is it possible to undervolt 5900hx?

I found numerous videos on YouTube on how to undervolt laptop processors, but no matter how much I tried to do it on 5900 hx, nothing worked. Either the programs simply give an error stating that the processor is not supported, or the functions in them are not available. So is there a way to achieve this?

0 Likes
4 Replies

According to AMD Specs for your Mobile processor you can adjust the TDP rating between 35 -54 Watts.

If you are able to adjust the Processor TDP rating from 45+ Watts (Default setting) to it minimum TDP rating of 35 Watts your processor will run cooler and probably slower also.

Check to see if your Laptop's BIOS has a setting to change the TDP rating of your Mobile Processor.

NOTE: In my opinion, I personally don't recommend changing any of your laptop's processor's parameters since you have no way of knowing how it might affect your Laptop's Power and Temperature engineered limits. Changing the TDP wattage would be the safest way to run your processor cooler if that was what you are going for by under volting the processor.

There is a Ryzen Master type program for Laptops. But not sure if you can configure the Processor or not. It is called Ryzen Controller: https://gitlab.com/ryzen-controller-team/ryzen-controller

But not sure if it compatible with the 5000 series Mobile Processors yet or not. You can try installing it and see what it controls.

0 Likes

I am attracted by the opportunity to just lower the temperature without loss of performance, by lowering the voltage, and not the TDP, which gives the first, taking the second, which works great for all users of Intel processors who can do it right in the official application without any problems.
Ryzen Controller is a great program, the only one that allowed me to change at least some parameters of my laptop, but unfortunately there is no voltage setting.
P.s. my laptop is Asus Rog Strix G15 advantage edition (6800M/5900HX)

Laptop Manufacturers sometimes have locked their Mobile processors from being tampered with or another words having the processor's parameters such as over or under clocking disabled.

Need to contact Asus Support and see if your processor's parameters can be changed or not. Most likely they will say it will void your laptop warranty but also might mention if the processor's parameters can be changed or not.

0 Likes

I wrote and they just told me that this feature is not available on laptops, although YouTube is full of videos about how people do it on other Asus laptops, even through BIOS. Probably my laptop is more laptop than others