cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

darkz
Journeyman III

is a 9 3900x good

so i want to upgrade my gpu but i really dont know if it will hold up with a 3090

0 Likes
3 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

what resolution? .. the higher the rez, the less the CPU becomes a factor. For the most part, the 3900x is still a very capable CPU

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

i mainly use 1440p

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

It depends on what you are trying to push out in terms of framerate.

I have a 3700X and an RX 6800 XT currently and can push most competitive titles to 240FPS at 1080P. Other titles that are more taxing can vary. I play Warzone 2.0 at pretty respectable frame rates being 100-150FPS as well at 1080P. It really all depends on the titles you want to play, your resolution, and your target frame rate.

At 1080P you will usually be using your CPU more as you will be rendering in as many frames as possible, provided you aren't taxing the GPU with crazy high settings, while 1440P will tax your GPU more, you will still be able to push high frame rates if your GPU is not being over worked.

There is always a limiting factor. The higher the graphical fidelity the more it pushes the GPU. The lower the fidelity and resolution the more it will allow for your CPU to stretch it's legs.

I assume you are asking for gaming information.

In multithreaded workloads the 12 cores of the 3900X will serve you well in most situations.

I personally would look into the benchmarks and times to render of the 3900X if I were looking for specific information. Just because there are other CPUs that exist that can perform better does not mean that a CPU isn't a viable option.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes