cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tyguitaxe
Journeyman III

Is 5900X leading to problems?

Hey guys. Back in June/July I bought a 5900X and ever since I've been having a nightmare of a time. Everything will be running smooth and then I'll go to play a game (typically Guild Wars 2) and sometimes it's fine and other times I get a BSOD! My temps look fine in HW Monitor. I've removed all overclocking including my RAM so it's now at 2400MHz instead of 3200/3600MHz. I have an B450 AORUS M motherboard, RX 6800 XT GPU, 32GB Kingston FURY Beast RAM. I run MemTest and my RAM passes. I run CPU tests and it does just fine. What the heck is going on?

Here's the latest dump file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PUbHhWIlhpVrLVg8cRsu21o_keot31RV/view?usp=drive_link

Did I just get a lemon of a CPU?

0 Likes
9 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

tyguitaxe, please put your dump file somewhere I can DL it. I do not have a Google account. Thanks, John.

0 Likes

0 Likes

tyguitaxe, thanks. The bug check code is 0x0124, WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. Are you getting lots of these? Where did you DL the AMD drivers? Please DL all AMD drivers from here. Is your memory on the QVL for the new processor? Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I did download all CPU drivers from AMD's site, GPU drivers are through Adrenaline software. RAM is on the QVL on AMD's site. I used to get a ton of crashes and similar errors, but about a month ago I unchecked XMP in BIOS and it seemed to run smoother.

0 Likes
FunkZ
Forerunner

@tyguitaxe wrote:

I have an B450 AORUS M motherboard, RX 6800 XT GPU, 32GB Kingston FURY Beast RAM.

So your system ran fine prior to the CPU upgrade? What CPU did you upgrade from? What power supply do you have? Do you have all 8 pins (4+4) of the CPU power connector plugged into the board?

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

I upgraded from a 3600 and the pins should all be plugged in although you have me doubting myself now. My PSU is Corsair RM850e

0 Likes
FunkZ
Forerunner

Power supply should be plenty capable, GPU is only ~300W and CPU ~130W at stock. Some Micro-ATX boards go cheap on the power handling but the B450 AORUS M has an 8pin CPU connector and appears to have enough phases to handle the 5900X assuming adequate cooling. What is your CPU cooler and does it provide any airflow over the motherboard mosfets? How hot are those components getting when you get these BSODs?

0 Likes

In the past when this was happening a lot more, I was seeing temps anywhere from 60s to 80s so I don't think it's a temp thing. My cooler is the Noctua NH-U14S with a single fan. I have no idea if it's providing airflow over the mosfets. How would I check that? Other cooling includes 2x intake in the front and 2x exhaust (back and top). I do want to note that I'm using a Cooler Master NR400 w/ ODD in case that's important.

0 Likes

Circled are the power components on your board. Only the rear has a heatsink installed, which may be receiving some airflow from your tower style cooler. Or they could be too hot to touch. HWinfo should also give you mosfet temps.

FunkZ_0-1711584103677.png

0 Likes