cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ananim86
Journeyman III

Higher ram frequency than the processor supports

Hi. I have a laptop with a ryzen 6800h processor. it has only 1 ram bar with a frequency of 4800MHz. I want to buy new RAM with a higher frequency. Will the new RAM start at 5600MHz if the AMD website says "maximum memory frequency - 4800MHz"? 

And sorry for my bad English

0 Likes
1 Solution
MADZyren
Paragon

Laptop maker desides how fast memory runs, not amd. CPU can likely handle faster sticks, but BIOS dictates speed.

Is the existing stick replaceable? If you add another, it will run at same speed than original. If you replace it, it depends on BIOS, but you can't usually change it with brand computers, especiaöly laptops.

It is also so-dimm, not regular sticks.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

Laptop maker desides how fast memory runs, not amd. CPU can likely handle faster sticks, but BIOS dictates speed.

Is the existing stick replaceable? If you add another, it will run at same speed than original. If you replace it, it depends on BIOS, but you can't usually change it with brand computers, especiaöly laptops.

It is also so-dimm, not regular sticks.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

This is true. I have seen very few laptops that support XMP or any memory overclocking at all. Most laptops are built to run the hardware at a specific speed and no faster, discounting storage. 

You could call the manufacturer of the laptop and ask them if you can tweak memory speeds in the BIOS before making the purchase. This would stop you from potentially wasting money on hardware that won't be fully supported.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB