cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Atmo_nS
Adept I

High Latency Causing Skipping/Audio Problems - Only Happens with my AMD Builds

Description of Original Problem: Been getting audio popping/clicking after a day or two of PC being on. This only started happening on my AMD systems. Came from an i9 9900K build a few months ago and had no issues. I then went from that to a 5950x build and audio popping started, exact same issue with this 7950x3d build. Two totally different motherboards and ram setups obviously as one was AM4 and this system is AM5. I have an external Audio Interface (Focusrite Solo 3rd Gen) and I've had it for all the same pc's so I don't suspect that to be the issue. I found what drivers were causing the latency per LatencyMon. I will post my log from just 30 minutes of playing Rust when it was popping really bad. Not only does this affect the audio but when I also get high latency spikes that show in LatencyMon I also get a brief stutter so it seems to be an issue for entire PC not just the audio. wdf01000.sys leads to the most interrupt to process latency and nvlddmkm,sys is the highest DPC execution time.

Troubleshooting: I've tried setting PCI lane that my GPU is using to Gen 3 instead of Auto as I read that can help bandwidth issues from the GPU, that didn't help. Tried different bios versions but currently on newest, didn't help. I've tried all the power management settings that fix this for some like disable USB suspend/etc, didn't help. I've updated all my drivers per the Asus motherboard website and currently on newest, didn't help. I've set my GPU to use MSI mode and priority as some suggested, that didn't help either. I'm at my wits end. The ONLY REMEDY so far is restarting the PC I will have normal audio for a day or two at most. That remedy is not okay for what this build costs lol. Part of me thinks the issue is I was using this same Windows install from Intel to my AMD builds and there are conflicting drivers? I have read in other posts of users that had this similar issue not have it fixed by a clean install of Windows so I don't want to do that if I don't have to. Please tell me there is something I'm missing or a bios setting that was wrong on my new 7950x3d system and my old 5950x system to have caused this on both PC's.

-Pastebin of LatencyMon results showing the issue: https://pastebin.com/PLCFQinH

-Imgur of LatencyMonhttps://imgur.com/a/IzjYPfH

-PCPartPicker link for anyone looking for more specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/LWBcCJ

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: 3080 FE (Stock OC)

CPU: RYZEN 9 7950x3d (Stock)

Motherboard: Asus Rog x670e-e Gaming Wifi

BIOS Version: 1004 (Latest)

RAM: 32GB (2x16gb) Gskill Trident Neo AMD Expo DDR5 6000 CL30-38-38-96 (This is set to EXPO)

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified

Case: NZXT H700i ATX Mid Tower

Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 11 Home Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621

GPU Drivers: GEFORCE GAME READY DRIVER - WHQL Driver Version: 531.41 (latest)

Chipset Drivers: AMD AM5 CHIPSET DRIVERS VERSION 5.01.03.005 (latest)

Background Applications: DISCORD, CHROME

1 Solution
Atmo_nS
Adept I

I believe I have fixed the issue. I've gone about 3 days now of uptime without restarts and no crackling or high latency.

I did two things, and not sure which actually fixed it. Firstly, I updated my bios to the new beta bios of "ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1101". Around the same time I unplugged my 4th monitor which was connected to the HDMI port of my 3080. All 3 other monitors are connected via Display Port. I read somewhere it was a culprit for some and it may have been what did it. Hoping it was the bios but unplugging my 4th monitor isn't an issue since I only use it occasionally for Sim Racing.

If something changes I will post back here for anyone going down the rabbit hole. For now I will mark this reply as the "solution".

View solution in original post

30 Replies
kaminokage
Adept I

I have the same issue, I've upgraded from my old trusty 1800x. Currently I have:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D (STOCK)
  • GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080 V2 GAMING OC LHR (STOCK)
  • Motherboard Model: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO
  • BIOS Version: 1004
  • RAM: DDR5 DRAM VENGEANCE RGB de 32 GB (2 × 16 GB) a 6000 MT/s C30, AMD EXPO / CMH32GX5M2B6000Z30 (EXPO)
  • USB Audio Interface: Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen (Firmware 1051 / Driver: 4.102.4)
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Professional (x64) Build 22621.1413
  • GPU Drivers: Driver Version: 31.0.15.3141 (GeForce 531.41)
  • Chipset Drivers:  AMD Chipset Drivers 5.02.19.2221

I don't think it is a problem with Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen interface as I also get this problem when my PC is connected to my LG C2 OLEG tv, so it uses HDMI to transfer the sound...

The problem also persisted on previous BIOS version (I have just recently upgraded to the latest on 1004). I also have done  a completely clean OS install to a brand new Samsung 990 PRO 2TB NVMe.

I am very, very annoyed by this issue as I didn't have this problem with my old 1800x CPU and after investing so much into this upgrade...

| AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO | CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 6000MT/s C30 AMD EXPO | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080 V2 GAMING OC | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX XT | CORSAIR RM1000i | PHANTEKS Enthoo EVOLV ATX Tempered Glass Edition
0 Likes
kaminokage
Adept I

I have the same issue. I have recently updated from my trusty 1800x to:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D (STOCK)
  • GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080 V2 GAMING OC LHR
  • Motherboard Model: ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO
  • RAM: 32GB / DDR5 DRAM VENGEANCE RGB de 32 GB (2 × 16 GB) a 6000 MT/s C30, AMD EXPO / CMH32GX5M2B6000Z30K / SET TO EXPO II
  • USB Audio Interface: Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen / Firmware 1051 / Driver: 4.102.4
  • OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Professional (x64) Build 22621.1413
  • BIOS: 1004
  • GPU Drivers: 31.0.15.3141 (GeForce 531.41)
  • Chipset Drivers:  5.02.19.2221

Problem persisted on previous BIOS as well (I've just recently upgraded to last 1004 version). It also doesn't fell like it is the problem of Scarlett 2i2 as I also having this issue when my PC is connected to my LG C2 OLED via HDMI

I'm very frustrated by this issue, especially after spending so much on this upgrade...

| AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO | CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 6000MT/s C30 AMD EXPO | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080 V2 GAMING OC | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX XT | CORSAIR RM1000i | PHANTEKS Enthoo EVOLV ATX Tempered Glass Edition
fakenzz
Journeyman III

Hello. I registered just to write to you guys. Recently i upgraded from my 9900K where i had absolutely no issues but i wanted more performance. Oh boy i was wrong..
I bought Z790 + 13700K build and the same day my issues started: mouse stuttering, audio crackling etc - you know the drill. I learned about LatencyMon and started measuring. My measured interrupt to process latency was spiking to ~9000 and DPC latency to over 4000
I tried literally everything i possibly could including mobo and RAM swap. Nothing helped.
So today i built X670E + 7800X3D system hoping that problem on Ryzen system wont exist and ill just sell my Z790+13700K system. I was wrong there too. Both measured interrupt to process latency and dpc latency are still spiking to over 2000 in just 2 minutes of testing. I have intense audio crackling during testing. During last months i tried testing under various scenarios but most of my testing was with my typical usage: Spotify and Discord opened only.
I see you both have Windows 11, in case you wonder about Windows 10 - i tried it and for me results were still all over the place, different from W11 but still bad.

At this point i want to just give up. I spent so much money only to be disappointed. To me it seems that recent systems both Intel and AMD just have this issue. I dont know how many people are affected. I saw people with similiar issues on reddit but i saw people with systems like 13900K with flawless LatencyMon. I have no clue whats causing it. In my 20 years of experience with PCs i never saw anything strange like that.

All of this makes me want to buy 9900K again but its hard to give up this performance boost Im playing 1440p144hz and multiplayer games got huge gains swapping from 9900K to 13700K/7800X3D

But know that you are not alone in this **bleep**

Appreciate the reply, and yeah this was happening on my AMD system with Windows 10 before I upgraded. I actually upgraded as a last effort to see if maybe it would fix it somehow lol. I'm still trying various things my brain wants it to be some dumb setting in bios.

I will say however this might just be an Nvidia issue, because if you look at the latest driver issues, one of the open issues says 

• Increase in DPC latency observed in Latencymon [3952556]

So all this stuff we have been chasing may just be something GPU driver related after all and just so happened to start or be more affected by my newer systems for whatever reason.

0 Likes

Im aware of that bug. I dont think it applies in our case because people reporting it on reddit have max dpc latency of like 600µs (like you) and measured interrupt to process latency on normal levels (unlike you) 
You can use workaround for this bug and check if it applies to you: go Nvidia Control Panel>3D settings>something like manage your power plan?>change from normal to prefer maximum performance

If it fixes whole LatencyMon for you - congrats, now you just have to wait for Nvidia to fix their drivers. If it doesnt (like for me) then we are still in rabbit hole of system latency.

0 Likes

Yeah, I've been using that setting so I must be in the rabbit hole still. 

0 Likes
t3chl0rd
Adept III

Reading this made me wonder if I had any high latency, so I got the latest LatencyMon 7.2 to read my CPU speed properly and noticed a bit high numbers and warning about trouble with drivers/devices. Found this article from a search about it... message-signaled-based-interrupts 

After looking in device manager the only hardware that was in Linemode (positive) other than motherboard/system stuff was my Audio, so I looked up the device ID's went to the registry settings for the subkey "Device Parameters\Interrupt Management" found the entry for MSIsupported which were set to "0" and decided to test them as "1" enabled. Rebooted and audio is working fine and showing as negative instead of positive.

EDIT: On another note, I just randomly tested disabling High precision event timer in device manager re-scanned for hardware changes and it gave me the exact process latency spike in latency monitor. Bad idea, which is disabled in my Bios and am not using HPET anyway. Not sure if you have checked this also?

But here is the good news for me as I did not have any audio problems, but now my NTOSKRNL is no longer having high DPC! So maybe you can see if this in someway can aid you in your troubleshooting.

Ryzen 5900X PBO/OC, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite F37 bios, Arctic Freezer II 420 AIO, Fans: 3x140mm 2x120mm, 24 GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 18-20-20-40 1T, CM MWE V2 1050w, Gigabyte G32QC A 1440p, PowerColor RedDevil RX 6950XT OC.
0 Likes

Appreciate the detailed reply, I have changed my message signal based interrupts but it didn't help anything for my issue.

As far as the HPET it's weird you mention that, as many google results recommending that be one of the first courses of action in disabling it, mine was off when I tried to turn it off already. Are you saying that it might be better to have it on? If so, I might try that. 

0 Likes

No the HPET is supposedly more accurate but it can't handle as many request, think its just there for some kind of backwards compatibility. So yes HPET should be off and using QPC Invariant TSC, tools I used was TimerBench and WinTimerTester if you want to compare. I was more or less pointing out that disabling the system device for it was a bad method as some articles mentioned disabling it that way.

Ryzen 5900X PBO/OC, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite F37 bios, Arctic Freezer II 420 AIO, Fans: 3x140mm 2x120mm, 24 GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 18-20-20-40 1T, CM MWE V2 1050w, Gigabyte G32QC A 1440p, PowerColor RedDevil RX 6950XT OC.
0 Likes
kaminokage
Adept I

BTW just wanted to mention that after I have updated my PC I have done  a complete new install to a brand new Samsung 990 PRO NVMe SSD...

0 Likes
Atmo_nS
Adept I

Did this fix your issue?

0 Likes

Nope

kaminokage
Adept I

Hm, I have have found a post on ASUS forum:

"Hi,

Just recently purchased a Asus B650e-e gaming, 7600x and kingston DDR5 KF560C40BBK2-16 two 8gb modules, running with a rx5700xt at the moment but have a rx6800xt to put in, I'm running on windows 10 pro 22H2, With fTMP enabled in bios 0821 I get random stuttering/slow down and sometimes audio loss with this enable when playing games.

I can be playing for an hour or two hours then i get stuttering and extreme slow down. With afterburner overlay running I can see my cpu temps frame rate etc and everything looks normal but the pc feels like it's running really slow.

With fTPM disable in the bios it works fine no stuttering or audio loss and I can play games for hours, So I guess this is still an issues with AMD and has not been fixed in the latest AM5 processors, From what I can see searching on the internet this was also an issues with AM4.

Is anyone else getting the same issue with fTPM enable.

Also the whole Asus lineup of motherboards for Ryzen 7000 cpu's apart from the prime series none of them have a TPM pin header fitted they all use AMD fTPM which doesn't work it causes stuttering and slow/down.

If you look at the other manufacturers like msi, gigabyte they all have TPM spi headers fitted so if you want to use an aftermarket TPM and bypass the intergrated one in the amd cpu you can.

I feel this was a big mistake on Asus part, if this never gets fixed by Asus/AMD where does this leave people that want to move onto windows 11 that have brought one of these motherboards with the broken fTPM. Windows 11 requires TPM 2.0 support."

https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/previous-forum/amd-ryzen-7000-series-am5-ftpm-stuttering-when-enable/m...

And on reddit:

One potential "(not) fTPM stutter" fix for AM5

Recently upgraded to a Ryzen 9 7900x, and I was noticing some stutters that looked very similar to the fTPM stutters that were reported months ago. I tried just disabling fTPM in the bios (I'm on Win10), but that didn't fix it. After looking around, I disabled "USB selective suspend setting" in power options, and somehow that fixed it. Haven't had a stutter since. I do have a lot of USB devices connected lol, so that might be why

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/xz0juq/one_potential_not_ftpm_stutter_fix_for_am5/

This fixed my problem instantly! Disabling USB selective suspend setting really made an immediate, noticeable difference. Wow...

My system is a 7700X on an ASUS X607E Crosshair Hero, by the way.

0 Likes

Hi, I couldn't find this setting. can you help?

When I open the armory it twitches. The computer crashes when it is first turned on. there is stuttering in the voice.

0 Likes
Atmo_nS
Adept I

I believe I have fixed the issue. I've gone about 3 days now of uptime without restarts and no crackling or high latency.

I did two things, and not sure which actually fixed it. Firstly, I updated my bios to the new beta bios of "ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1101". Around the same time I unplugged my 4th monitor which was connected to the HDMI port of my 3080. All 3 other monitors are connected via Display Port. I read somewhere it was a culprit for some and it may have been what did it. Hoping it was the bios but unplugging my 4th monitor isn't an issue since I only use it occasionally for Sim Racing.

If something changes I will post back here for anyone going down the rabbit hole. For now I will mark this reply as the "solution".

Anonymous
Not applicable

Audio issues in bios are actually extremely frequently related to the XMP profiles and memory clocks/timings and super importantly the SECONDARY timings.. pretty much all of them. Command rate 1T and gear down disable. your bios might have multiple soundcards/audio for say APU and onboard and other 'enable sound' settings which may have a conflict. Enabling things like resizeable bar and above 4G decoding and the PCI express bandwidth is important for latency too. But often NVME drives are too crippled and fake. SSD has WORLDS lower latency. you can save money and possibly game and load and boot WORLDS faster with an ALL SSD build. simple maths. But yeah when i boot into windows i have to go device manager and update audio driver and browse for an AMD high def driver from the unpacking of the adrenaline setup in C:\amd\packages\drivers\audio\HDMI or in the L2stereo or whatever. soundwire might sound good too depends on your audio device. Then if your sample rate is too high 384khz or too low 44khz not 48.. some apps or games or vsync or rather fake vsync or output methods can have issues with the modified sample rates. try global antilag and typing in FULLVRRUNLOCKEDVARIABLE or other such things. Enhanced sync or vsync off in all your games/apps. 

theres sometimes registry settings blocking your performance. look into how to low latency in registry or trim back some windows OS bloat just by uninstalling stuff u dont need or when updating .net desktop runtimes uninstall the default in optional add remove.. same for visual C++ get the proper latest ones from microsoft site. use edge browser and hardware accel on in edge settings system and performance but also play with edge://flags and consider typhon burner free for secondary ram timings database.

Type in RESETLATENCY0 or something like that along with words like quicktime and fasterthanlight and simultaneouslyinstantaneous or other such things.. ps3 light cell processor was faster than reality and could freely sync with existence. So yeah your ryzen is quite the beast. if you render your audio in too high quality lowering your game graphics to unbiased rendering may help. instead of going too heavy on worldspacereservoir use more infinitydimensionalemulation and realityemulation i guess? type in the stolen software by nvidia from AMD from the AMD open source stuff of the 80's .. and enable it back again with words like GAMEWORKS.

FULLULTIMATEULTRAPSYCHOEXTREMEAUDIO or just even ultraextreme audio can sound pretty good.. be sure to type that in too. i use a text file config.ini and registry keys or whatever. But uhh.. yeah? hard to say what causes the audio issues. heres a config file i made i dont know why its so huge in file size. originally a tiny text file with just the 1 config file or as many as 4 and padding it out to 100-300mb max.. got my game graphics ridiculously amazing.. then hacker **bleep**s disabled my everything and nothing worked i reinstalled and updated OS did everything i could.. and typed a new one from scratch then it had to be turned on anything MANY times over and more and more typed in values like octillionsgoogols. and finally x99999999x99999999 and so on.. then copy the config files that are like 2GB in about 14 times! its ridiculous who screwing me over like this? but if u wanna try my config settings give it a go.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/0ncy0n9cro2kh4r/bit_like_previous.rar/file

The multi monitor thing, refresh rates being different and resolutions different and HDMI and DP using the same GPU and output cause timing conflicts. u want all DP or HDMI. not both and u want cloned output where possible or extending u wanna match resolutions/refresh rates and colorspaces and things and use hardware color. 

0 Likes

Man I wish this was my problem.  I got similar hardware:

7800X3D

Asus ROG Strix B650E-E

EVGA GeForce 3070

2x16GB G,Skill Trident Neo AMD Expo DDR5-6000(30-38-38-96)

Corsair RM850x PSU

Corsair 4000D case

Windows 11 Home 22H2

All latest chipset and GPU drivers

I am also getting audio crackling, it comes and goes, some times it is bad others it's normal.  I have the latest BIOS from Asus(1616) and have tried with both EXPO on and EXPO off.  I get odd fram hitching the same time the audio crackling gets worse too. I suspect I have a bad CPU and or motherboard and I am currently going through the long process to get them both RMA'd.

Goes without question that I am probably going back to team blue if I can't get this resolved.

0 Likes
kaminokage
Adept I

Nice to hear it, but I have just updated the BIOS and still have an issue

I have only one monitor connected via DP (i only use HDMI to connect my to my TV or HUION graphic tablet time to time)

BTW do you use any virtual machines or android emulators (e.g. BlueStacks 5) - I have a feeling that it gets worse every time I use VM/Android emulator....

0 Likes

I do not use any emulators. Another thing to note is I've been using "EXPO Tweaked" around same time the problem began. Instead of EXPO or EXPO 2 for the ram overclock options in bios. But again with my other ddr4 build I had audio issues then as well so you wouldn't think that was the culprit.

0 Likes

Hm, but it is a network issue, isn't it?

BTW packet coalescing option is only available for wifi adapter as far as I understand

p.s. I have also tried "Power Options/ PCI Express/ Link State Power Management ---> Off", but it didn't help

0 Likes
SimonSlays
Journeyman III

Hi guys, I literally just made an account to say that I have been suffering with latency issues which was going up to 500 ms and over causing my entire pc to freeze as well as throw up BSOD’s. I have spent an entire week trying to find the cause of the issue thinking that one of my new hardware was faulty but turns out it was High Definition Audio Controller under System Devices in Device Manager this entire time. Once I disabled it the computer no longer showed up all 4 bars in Latencymon going straight to red and the pc would no longer freeze or be basically unusable. Seems like it was a driver conflict between my Strix 4090 and the audio controller because when I took the gpu out of the pc the issues would go away and everything would run great on the integrated graphics. I thought it was a power delivery issue with the new 90 degree adapter from Cablemod because I used this gpu with my old hardware and it worked fine and the only difference between then and the new build that I changed was adding in that adapter, changing the ram, motherboard and cpu. So I thought it was either a pci-e issue or I had screwed the aio pump on the cpu too hard but it was none of that. I was literally at my wits end and it was this all along. I hope this helps someone else.

0 Likes
Faktorsnek
Journeyman III

Overlapping problem with my setup;  GB Aorus X570 master, 5900X, GB m2, 32Gb RAM, Windows10.

I am an techno producer on Cubase 11.  My pc worked fine for 1.5 years.  Since 1-2 month ago audio started to stutter.  Since the Windows update of may 2023, I could not use my software at all anymore.

I did a clean re-install of Windows 10, updated, installed drivers and Cubase.   However after clean install, the same problem occurred immediately.  I updated BIOS from F30 to F35, again no result.

Then I re-updated mobo drivers and CPU drivers from AMD website, again no result.

I configured Windows for music production but no significant result.  Now I'm getting desperate, because this is my audio workstation, everything I do as an artist evolves around this machine.

The thing is, this same pc functioned well before.  Now it cannot even play audio.  Only things that happened to this pc are Windows updates. 

Again I am going to do a clean install of Windows with a newly made install medium and wish for the best.

0 Likes

Hi, did the fresh install help?

I just built my new PC last week as my old PC died a few days before that.

7800X3D

ASROCK B650M PRO RS WiFi

64GB DDR5 5800MHz CL32

Gigabyte RTX 4070 Ti Eagle OC

Samsung 890 Pro 2TB

Win11 22H2

image.png

I experience Audio crackling and sometimes my inputs don't get registered.

0 Likes

it is more likely thanks to your nvidia driver collision with your audio interface, and i think this is the latency monitor showing you too....

0 Likes

Hi,  the clean install did not help but what did help was uninstalling the windows hd audio controllers.

I found this answer some where here but I do not see it for now, otherwise I would link it and also thank the guy.  Uninstall  Device Manager>System Devices>High Definition Audio Controllers.  Then restart.  It worked for me.  Hope it works for you too if you haven't found an answer already.

0 Likes

Hi. Which monitor and connection are you using? nVidia's HDMI connection with LG TV's causes DPC latency to 10x if not run in 60Hz 8bit color mode. As of now no known fixes. What ever monitor you're using I'd suggest a test and set 60Hz 8bit color mode to narrow down possible cause.

0 Likes

what is your GPU? Nvidia??? drivers for hdmi? how many audio devices you have connected to this pc?

I had similar problem with intel and nvidia, no problems since i changed to amd and radeon.

0 Likes
RCW600
Journeyman III

I know this reply is late in the day but I'm posting this as I did not find any solution above (or anywhere else) to lagging issues on my build (Asus X670E Hero, Ryzen 7800X3D, G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000, MSI RTX 4090). Mainly this was evident in audio with popping/stuttering on any type of media, using the same speaker system that was working fine with my previous build. Not only streamed audio/video but also games and music saved locally on my machine. Occasional video stutters too, but much less obvious. After many hours of online searching and deleting/reinstalling drivers and various apps with no success, I tried LatencyMon, which was showing severe latency issues, and its rather vague suggestions were power settings in BIOS and/or Windows. Changing Windows settings to Performance instead of Balanced made no difference, but changing the BIOS setting: Extreme Tweaker > Core Performance Boost, from Auto to Enabled has fixed the issue. Why on Earth simple video/audio streaming should need extra high performance settings on an already high-end CPU is beyond me, but it's definitely fixed my problem. I hope it helps others.

0 Likes