cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Chato_v2
Adept II

Curve Optimizer for a 7900x

So i have recently tried to use the curve optimizer on my 7900x, so i am looking for some feedback here so that way I dont brick my system. Right now everything went back to auto in the BIOS settings due to the fact that I unseated my CPU to clean it and to replace my AIO cooler. Before I had it at -30 on the all cores and EXPO was enabled. the other settings were adjusted as well but cant remember what they were, i got some idea to do this from a reddit post as they posted some settings they have tried. 

When I had those settings temps were awesome on my CPU during and not during a game load, but my PC froze almost every night when I was playing Lost Ark. At first I thought is was a game issue, but now not really sure what was causing the freeze. I did think maybe it was the RAMM that it was overclocked with EXPO being enabled, but why would that be an issue.

I would like to make the curve optimizer again on my settings thanks in advance.

0 Likes
3 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Curve Optimizer is a cool little feature ain't it?

First thing you may want to check is CPU SOC or vSoC, make sure its bellow 1.3v (even if you have the latest BIOS) I would manually set this to 1.2v (suggestion)

As for Curve Optimizer, there are a lot of videos and theories out there but silicon lottery can kill your happiness fast.

Some Boards like RoG do have a prediction or auto mode just like Ryzen Master, the best cores, maximum VIDs and such but I haven't mastered the skill yet.

Try first a -5 then -10 and lastly a -15 on all core and see how it goes, keep an eye on temps and vCore. When using Curve Optimizer I noticed that average vCore drops but maximum vCore goes up, because it will boost higher.

vCore is the value to look for

To counter this, I have an negative vCore offset to lower things a notch, so temperatures will not reach near 80ºC but cores will boost like crazy for much more time. Normally people don't use vCore offset with Curve Optimizer, but I find it handy since I'm running a 240 AIO on a 7950X.

johnnyenglish_2-1684542602628.png

Finally, the EXPO (But I would do this before Curve Optimizer)

EXPO seems much more stable now than last time with XMP/DOCP or whatever the boards call it on DDR4.

Go for EXPO II and set VDD/Q at 1.35v if you get BSOD's (not crashes and reboots) then its time to try EXPO I.
If you still get BSOD's, Disable Memory Context Restore. If all fails, lower the speed, loosen the timings or increase VDD/Q voltage to 1.4 if your memory kit supports it, be careful with this one, doublecheck online if it can really support such voltages.

Good Luck

The Englishman

Thanks for the reply, I just updated my ROG Strix MoBo to BIOS version 1616. loaded up the BIOS automatically and change my curve to -30 All cores, and 162PPT, 120 TDC, and 180 EDC, also changed to EXPO I, enabled Memory Restore for fast post times, and my SoC was at 1.040 default setting on my MoBo. 

I tried to boot Windows and BLAM!!!!! BSOD, had to get reset my PC three times because in process of trying to change everything back BIOS kept freezing up on, finally on the reset I just hit the F5 option for default settings and enabled EXPO I, and now boots up fine. 

Not sure what I did for it to act that way, but glad I was able to boot up again, maybe I tried to change to much at one time when I havent let the newer BIOS version actually calibrate it self, I will try again later on the Curve but as for now Im ok with temps and power, I do have a 360mm AIO cooler on my CPU so max temp should be only at least 71c or a little higher on some game loads 

I think -30 is for silicon lottery winners only (check your SP rating in BIOS, I think you need +120 for that to happen) but the strangest of things is, I can set -20 or -15 and stress test it fine but as soon as I open HWiNFO64 computer reboots without warning with CPU trouble light. Weird...

One question, after reset (CMOS CLEAR right?) can You use the Memory Context Restore?

If you can't and want to use it to cut some boot times, enable power down as well.
I'm going to feature this in my next video.

The Englishman
0 Likes