cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

PierceDaSnail
Adept II

Cpu spikes while playing videos

What would cause videos on chrome to cause a high cpu spike my setup is asrock b450m/ac, amd ryzen 7 5700g, pny nvidia rtx 4060, 32gb mismatched ram (2x 8gb pny xlr8 2667mhz, 1x 8gb adata 3000mhz, 1x 8gb geil 3000mhz) it only does it while playing videos if I scroll down past the video cpu goes back to normal?

0 Likes
46 Replies

Does it do it with Firefox or some other browser?

If not then that is a Chrome issue which you should open a thread at Chrome Forums or Support.

In my computer, Firefox uses massive amount of memory and CPU usage if I have several Tabs opened. Then I again I have several Security and other extensions enabled that could be causing that issue.

See if you can run Chrome in Troubleshoot Mode or something similar like in Firefox which disables every extensions and puts Chrome like it was just first installed to see if your get those CPU spikes.

That would eliminate a Chrome extension as the culprit.

It does it sometimes with edge but mainly chrome it'll go from 2%-4% to 10%-20% just from chrome or edge and I have tried disabling all my extensions (which is only 3) and reinstalling the browser. I have also used ddu on my nvidia (thinking maybe faulty drivers) and reinstalled them, chipset drivers, bios, and clean installed windows 11. this is also a new amd ryzen 7 5700g (upgraded from amd ryzen 5 3600) with a asrock b450m/ac motherboard 10.08 bios and pny xlr8 nvidia rtx 4060... and I also can't upgrade to the newest chipset software as it's giving a error for trying to install chipset version 6.02.07.2300 fon amd's site. for the B450 AM4 Drivers and I'm not sure if I was supposed to but when I upgraded my cpu I also lost my ryzen power plans?

About the AMD CHIPSET installation error seems to be a bug in the Chipset installation package.

There is a current AMD Thread about that you can you also add your two cents worth: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-chipset-software-6-02-07-2300-nsis-error/m-p/67231...

As for your CPU Spikes I do know that using Firefox with more than one or two tabs opened, my CPU goes up to sometimes 25% -35% with a huge amount of memory being used. 

According to many links after googling Firefox CPU high usage, it seem to be a somewhat of a common issue.

I just ignore it or just restart Firefox since I personally believe it is a Firefox browser issue with some of my extensions enabled.

Just for troubleshooting sake, try disabling your Browser's Hardware Acceleration, That seems to cause my issues with the GPU but not sure how it will affect the CPU though, truthfully.

NOTE: for the time being download the last previous AMD CHIPSET package and  wait until the next AMD CHIPSET update is created after fixing the installation bug.

Thank you for the quick reply! However I have already tried turning off gpu acceleration in my browsers with no luck the cpu percentage stays the same. I even went as far as trying to turn off HAGS (Hardware accelerated gpu scheduling) with no luck.

If it is a AMD Graphic driver issue I would think it would also affect other apps besides browsers.

Here is the latest 5700G AMD Driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-7-5000-g-series-desktop-processors...

If no change then try an previous AMD Driver from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/apu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-7-5000-g-series-d...

If no change than It isn't a AMD driver issue but a browser issue even possibly a Windows issue.

Try opening a thread at Chrome.com where you can open a Google Chrome Support ticket (Google Support) or a Google Chrome Thread (Google Chrome Community) : https://support.google.com/chrome/?hl=en&sjid=8512664667412086418-NA#topic=7439538

See if they believe it is a graphics driver issue or a Chrome browser issue. They might be able to direct you in your next step in troubleshooting.

You can also open a AMD SUPPORT TICKET from here and asked them the same question: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

EDIT: When the CPU spikes go to Windows Task Manager and see what background apps are running and under "Performance" click on (Three Horizontal dashes upper right corner)  "Resource Monitor" to also check to see what is happening to your CPU and SSD and GPU in real time.

Thank you again I have reached out to google and amd as well with no luck of hearing anything back yet do I need the amd adrenaline software if my displays are hooked up to my rtx 4060 though?

Sorry I missed that you have a Nvidia GPU card installed that would mean that the GPU Card is your Main Display Adapter which is set in BIOS automatically and your IGPU (AMD) should be secondary.

So the AMD Driver really shouldn't have anything to do with your issue but rather your Nvidia Driver for your Nvidia GPU card since that is what Windows is using unless you have your Monitor connected to your Motherboard video ports which uses the IGPU of your processor.

I thought you were using the AMD IGPU for your Monitor since I overlooked that you wrote you had a Nvida GPU card installed that is why I posted links to your AMD IGPU AMD Drivers.

Sorry about that.

Personally, the CPU Spikes I don't believe is due to being a CPU issue. Sounds more like a software issue than hardware issue.

EDIT: what would happen if you connect your monitor to your Motherboard's Video port which uses your AMD IGPU and see if you get the same results. If you do then that would eliminate both the AMD and Nvidia Driver as being the culprit.

You can temporarily disable the Nvidia GPU card in Device Manager or just simply disconnect everything connected to your GPU card and connect it to the Motherboard Video port instead forcing Windows to use the AMD IGPU instead.

I would have to find a hdmi cable as mine are hooked up display port lol but would an incompatible ram with the cpu cause cpu spikes or is that not a thing? I can try the igpu trick as soon as I find that cable! Also should I keep hags off I know it’ll disable dlss 3 but I’m not sure what the problem quite is yet? And should I have Adrenalin installed or would that interfere with nvidia experience? Also what power plans in control panel and windows 11 drop down power options (power slider bar) should I use since I no longer have ryzen plans also I haven’t overclocked and in task manager it says the cpu is running at 4.20 ghz o.o

0 Likes

Update: I did end up finding a hdmi to test the amd igpu and it does the same as the nvidia high cpu spikes while watching videos 720p - 1080p qualities…. Are there any power settings I’m neglecting on my new ryzen 7 5700g as I lost my ryzen plans

0 Likes

I have a Ryzen 3700X and was using Windows Balanced and then later Ryzen Balance power plans.

If you don't have any Ryzen Power Plans it is most likely your Ryzen doesn't need that power plan so I would use Windows Balance plan.

Than go to the Windows Power plan and under "Processor Power Management" set the following:

Minimum Processor State: 5%

Maximum Processor state: 100% or 99%

Here is how my looks:

Screenshot 2024-03-14 083805.png

for some reason the Power Plans on "Default" has he Minimum Processor State above 90%. 

So see if that has any affects on your CPU Spikes.

Also under "Change Advance Settings" in your Power Plan see if the "Mulitmedia" settings has any affects, Here is how my is set:

Screenshot 2024-03-14 084315.png

Otherwise I believe the issue is either with Windows or your Browser itself.

For multimedia settings it was already set the same the only minor difference in the settings was the minimium processor state it was 0% and I updated to 5% however the problem still persists, thank you for your help!

I was just trying to eliminate as much as possible.

I still say it is a browser or possibly a Windows issue. I have the same issue with Firefox when I have several Tabs opened at once,  my CPU at times spikes to over 25% with a huge amount of memory being allocated. This at time slows down Firefox or even freezes it until I close Firefox.

But with just one or two tabs open I have no issues. Some of the problem are my many extensions that are active when browsing.

Here is an example only of how my Task Manager looks like with Firefox having 15 Tabs opened mainly with Youtube:

Screenshot 2024-03-14 121622.png

This may not apply to you 100% since we have such different PCs. But just to show you how much Memory and CPU usages Firefox, specifically, uses on my computer with several extensions active and many tabs opened.

Thank you so much for any troubleshooting tips it’s been much appreciated unfortunately I even clean installed windows 11 and chrome (chrome is acting up and it’s only got 1 tab open and 1 extension going) so I’m at a complete loss here lol and unfortunatly it does it with chrome, edge, etc even with only 1 tab openchrome + edge.png

Generally, in my opinion, I would do a Fresh Windows install only as a last resort. Most of the time it really doesn't fix anything unless you have hardware issues or corrupted Windows OS that can't be repaired.

Instead I would first do a Windows In-Place Repair if possible which is just running the Windows Installation while you are on Windows Desktop.

I really can't see the connection between the CPU and Chrome but no harm asking AMD SUPPORT to see what they suggest.

My bet is going to Google Chrome Support or open a thread at Google Chrome Forum.

Anyways sorry I couldn't help you find a solution. Try using a different Browser. I heard BRAVE is very good and secure with built in Ad blockers or even Opera.

I would suggest Firefox but I have a feeling you will have similar issues as I do.

No worries thank you so much and I have tried a inplace repair with no luck unfortunately I have contacted amd and chrome support just waiting on a response!! and it seems to be doing it with any browser playing videos....

Please post a screen shot of what both support says. it might be useful to other Users in the same predicament.

0 Likes

Okay I see you edited your reply before I finished mine LoL.

Try this to see if it is a 3rd party startup app or driver that is causing your Browser high usage.

It is booting into a Clean Windows Desktop, similar to running Windows in Safe mode.

Easy to do and undo: How to perform a clean boot in Windows 

Once you boot into a Clean Windows Desktop just run one of your browsers and see if it is doing the same thing. IF not then start methodically enabling the 3rd party startup apps and drivers.

This will eliminate a 3rd Party Non-Microsoft app that may be activating when you have your browser on.

Be careful because your Anti-virus might be disabled but Windows Defender should give you protection.

NOTE: with both browser opened it is using 18% of your CPU usage.

Here again is my Task Manager with both Firefox (running 3 Youtube videos and many tabs opened) and Microsoft Edge with 2 tabs opened, as an example only:

Screenshot 2024-03-14 124812.png

0 Likes

Found Google Chrome Support Troubleshooting Page: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/9025467?hl=en#zippy=%2Cidentify-processes-with-high-cpu-u...

Concerning high CPU usages:

Screenshot 2024-03-14 131824.png

0 Likes

I have tried that without any luck I will be trying the clean boot soon and another update I have noticed major fps drops in games and micro stuttering as well and is it normal for amd igpu to not be showing in task manager when it's not in use but still enabled in device manager?

I believe so since there is no monitor connected or activities with the IGPU. You probably will see the AMD driver in Task Manager though.

If you connect a monitor to your Motherboard then I believe the IGPU should show in Task Manager again.

I suggest you open a Nvidia GeForce Thread also. Might be a Nvida driver issue since I also have an Nvidia GPU card - GTX 1070.

I am not a gamer but I suggest you try different Gaming and Nvidia Settings to see if that helps your issue. It might be a Gaming or Nvidia Setting that is causing problems with your games that is where Nvidia GeForce Forum would be useful.

0 Likes

That’s weird it used to show in task manager with 0% amd Radeon graphics but now it doesn’t and when I try to plug in my hdmi to the motherboard my screen stays black….

0 Likes

This  is under a normal Windows Desktop not under a Clean Windows Desktop?

You didn't remove the AMD driver or make any changes in BIOS settings correct?

Reboot and see if it is showing afterwards.

Here is Windows 11 forum on how to make your IGPU recognized in Windows Task Manager:https://www.elevenforum.com/t/enable-or-disable-integrated-graphics-igpu-in-windows-11.18616/

Is the IGPU disabled in Device  Manager?

You mentioned it is showing in Device Manger but with any errors?

Is your IGPU showing in Windows Settings - Display when you have both monitors connected to your GPU card and AMD IGPU?

Connect your monitor back to the Nvidia GPU card and download GPU-Z. Can you post screenshot of your AMD IGPU and Nvidia GPU card if possible?

Try a Windows Restore when the IGPU was working before and see if that fixes your issue.

I fixed the igpu problem it was a outdated display driver that was fixed with the minimal install of amd software but the cpu issues still persist 

Great, also good in installing the Minimal AMD driver instead of the full package that could have conflict issues with your Nvidia driver.

0 Likes

Okay I just reread your original post.

Sorry I am getting careless recently.

You mentioned you have Mismatched RAM Memory installed? That is a big no no when it comes to Ryzen processors.

Remove all the mismatched RAM Memory and just install the RAM that you purchased as a kit (2x 8GB) and see if that helps. Remove the other two 8 GB mismatched RAM sticks or just use one RAM stick to troubleshoot your issue only.

Better yet install the RAM stick or sticks that are listed for your Motherboard and Processor in its QVL LIST FOR RAM for the 5000 series G/GE processors: https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450Mac/index.asp#MemoryVM

Screenshot 2024-03-14 160855.png

The 5700G is a Cezanne processor which isn't listed so try using the Vermeer QVL LIST FOR RAM. Install which ever RAM is listed on the list but don't mismatch if more than one part number is listed.

EDIT: Really sorry this step should have been the first step to do in troubleshooting your issue concerning the RAM. I guess I just skimmed over or didn't really grasped what you mentioned about the RAM and I didn't closely read your Original Post.

Once the RAM issue is normal with no mismatches and your issues continue than continue troubleshooting.

I’ll try that as soon as I get home but I don’t think any of the ram sticks are compatible with the ryzen 7 5700g as none of them are listed on the qvl so should I still try the 2 pnys by theirselves? Or wait until I have compatible ram as I was getting ready to upgrade to g skill ripjaw v soon?

I would use the two PNYs which came in a set and gives your 16GB of RAM. If it boots up that is a good indication that they are compatible, at least to boot into Windows.

The QVL LIST just means that ASRock specifically tested those RAM Part Numbers and found them to be compatible. IF it isn't listed doesn't mean your RAM isn't compatible just means that ASRock hasn't tested that part number yet or found it to be incompatible.

Personally, unless ASRock QVL LIST is too outdated, I would use RAM from that list knowing that it has been tested for compatibility issues.

Also I would contact ASRock Support and ask them which QVL LIST to use for your 5000 Series APU processor which isn't listed.

The Vemeer seems to include the 5000 series regular processors while yours is a Cezanne processor. That is why I mentioned to follow the Vemeer QVL List but best to ask ASRock Support to verify.

Go to PYNY RAM Website and input your RAM part number and check the Manufacturer's QVL LIST to see if it is compatible with your Motherboard.

AMD also has a RAM Chart for Ryzen you can check:https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-compatible-memory/

For RAM Overclocking : https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/ryzen-compatible-memory.html

hello again thank you for that info I have already been in touch with asrock as well and they said that the vemeer is the qvl list as it is the closest to the current cpu and I checked amd compatibility and pny’s compatibility site but neither list that pny are compatible with asrock or the amd cpu (all ram sticks show they work in task manager but xmp isn’t enabled due to 3 different brands I’m unsure how well that’d work)

LoL, You seem to know as much as I do about troubleshooting.

If your PNY booted up into Windows without XMP/EXPO enabled is good that means, at least, it works in its native SPD Speed without overclocking.

XMP/EXPO is a overclocking feature for your RAM Memory.  Your RAM can be listed as 3200Mhz using XMP/EXPO, but its SPD Speed might be less than 3000Mhz without using XMP/EXPO.

The QVL LIST will show you if you can overclock DDR4 (XMP) your RAM part number for your 400 series Motherboard.  You motherboard doesn't have EXPO overclocking which is available on all DDR5 series motherboards.

With the 600 Series Motherboard's the QVL LIST will indicate if your RAM Part Number is compatible with XMP or with EXPO mode in overclocking.

XMP is enabled in BIOS Settings. If your RAM is said to run at 3600Mhz but with a SPD speed less than 3000Mhz, then can enter BIOS Settings - Memory and see where XMP Profiles are located at and select the 3600Mhz profile or a BIOS setting where you can manually set the speed to 3600Mhz for your RAM.

I have a Asus Motherboard and I manually inputted 3600Hmz for my G-SKILL RAM and BIOS did the rest of setting the RAM parameters automatically.

Asus version of XMP is DOCP.  But I find that DOCP Profiles are not very stable at times especially in my motherboard.

XMP is a Intel RAM Overclocking feature.

If interested in learning the difference between XMP and EXPO and how to set it in BIOS Settings, I found this articles from a gaming review site that explains the difference: https://www.pcgamer.com/what-are-xmp-profiles-and-how-do-i-use-them/

Thank you again upon checking the 2 mixmatched sticks (Geil and a data) are 3000mhz and the 2 pny are max of 2667mhz would it still be safe to enable xmp with different frequencies of ram? Also I fixed my gpu semi stutters but it’s still a bit glitchy in game and for some reason my gpu is only about 20-30% but my cpu skyrockets to 70-80% playing valorant on low specs 1080p

No, I wouldn't advice it. It might prevent your PC from booting up.

You can use XMP on your PNY set of RAMs if they can go above 2667Mhz but the other 2 different RAM sticks you can use XMP only with that RAM stick installed and no others.

Plus if the maximum speed of your PNY is 2667Mhz that will force the other two faster RAM sticks to go at the same maximum speed of your PNY RAM set and not higher.

The Motherboard will always run the maximum speed of the slowest RAM installed for all RAM..

So settings the other RAM sticks to go above 2667Mhz might cause the PC not to boot up or crash at boot up or BIOS will automatically remove the OC from your RAM to make it compatible again.

NOTE: I believe your main issue is to first install compatible RAM MEMORY in your PC before trying to fix other issues. Since RAM affects everything in your PC including how your GPU card and CPU works.

Okay thank you so much I will upgrade to g skills ripjaw v and go from there it might be a bit til you hear from me again as I’ll have to order them (this is my 3rd set of 4 sticks trying now) I accidentally purchased 4 pnys thinking they were compatible but they were and then I got Corsair vengeance but they arrived faulty

Are the G-Skill RAM part number on the QVL List for your motherboard?

No problem. Good Luck and hopefully things will be better with new compatible Memory installed.

Yes, they are on the qvl list! Thank you so much for helping as much as you could!

0 Likes

Also besides the control panel power plan being set to balanced does the windows system settings power drop down also stay to balanced?Settings Power.png

0 Likes

If you made the "Balanced" Windows Power Plan the default it should be on "Balanced".

Hello again I upgraded my cpu with the rma'd cpu and the cores are still hard fluctuating on windows balanced plan...... 

0 Likes
PierceDaSnail
Adept II

So balanced and high performance aren’t good together?

0 Likes

You can choose whichever Windows Power Plan fits your particular need but you can't use both at the same time.

In each Power plan you can configure it the way you want but then it might change the Power plan's main overall function.

I use Windows/Ryzen "Balanced" plan because it is less stressful on my CPU and uses less power.  But then again I don't game nor use my PC with any type Professional programs that requires heavy loads on the CPU.