cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Leitner
Journeyman III

Cpu reaching 100% when I open a video game

Recently whenever I open a game, my CPU will reach 100% and sit around 100% causing my CPU to reach high temps (90 C) and get unplayable frame rates. This previously did not happen and in attempts to fix the problem I have updated my drivers, cleaned the inside of my PC, and scanned for any viruses' (found nothing). Note the PC is second hand and I am fairly certain that the PC has been overclocked before as in the computer bios 'game boost' was enabled and when I first used the PC it would reach 90 C while idle. 

I am wondering if I can fix it and how or if a new CPU would be the only way to correct the problem.

I have an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor CPU in an NZXT H1 case with an AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT GPU

0 Likes
2 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

This sounds like a clear case of the thermal paste needing changed, and/or a new cooling solution may be needed. Are you using a liquid cooling solution, or a cooler with a heatsink and a fan?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
432hz
Adept II

Did you recently update your BIOS? You may want to look into PBO and try disabling it to see if there's improvement. You also may want to see what other "auto boost / oc" features your mobo might have and disable those.

Do you have any CPU tuning applied via Ryzen Master? Consider reverting to defaults and re-testing.

Did you recently update your GPU drivers? Consider clean installing (AMD Cleanup Utility and/or DDU) the same or a previous version (I'm on 23.12.1 with good stability).

For good measure, run DISM and SFC to scan for and repair any core Windows files that are corrupted or missing: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-365e0031-36b1-6031-...

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
0 Likes