cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

dew111
Journeyman III

CPU overheating mystery

My computer had been running fine in a configuration for years. One day it suddenly shut down. When trying to turn back on, the CPU temp increases rapidly until it shuts down (within a minute or two of power on). I know this because I boot into the UEFI screen and can see the CPU temp increasing rapidly. I thought, oh the cooler must not be working. So I replaced it, with the same result. I thought, oh, that must mean the CPU is shot. I replaced it with a Ryzen 7 5800X, with no improvement. I thought it could be a power supply issue, so I tried a Corsair 850W power supply with the same result. I thought surely, this all must mean it is a motherboard issue. Yesterday I replaced that as well, and it still overheats and shuts off. It is almost a whole new computer, and it is still showing the same behavior. Someone please help me.

I have been building my computers for years and never had this much trouble.

Initial configuration - good until CPU started overheating immediately

Ryzen 7 3800XT

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero

EVGA AIO cooler

Silverstone ST 1100-TI power supply

GTX 1080 Ti

Config 2 - CPU overheats immediately

Ryzen 7 3800XT

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero

*NZXT Kraken 120 cooler

GTX 1080 Ti

Config 3 - CPU overheats immediately

*Ryzen 7 5800X

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero

NZXT Kraken 120 cooler

GTX 1080 Ti

Config 4 - CPU overheats immediately

Ryzen 7 5800X

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero

NZXT Kraken 120 cooler

*Corsair AX850 power supply

GTX 1080 Ti

Current configuration - CPU overheats immediately

Ryzen 7 5800X

*ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming WiFi II

NZXT Kraken 120 cooler

GTX 1080 Ti

0 Likes
9 Replies
432hz
Adept II

That is a strange one.

• Does the CPU overheat and PC shut off in BIOS/UEFI or only once you boot into Windows?
  • Have you verified the plastic sticker / cover on the bottom of the new cooler's contact plate has been removed?
  • Have you tried replacing the RAM? Bad RAM can cause strange issues.

It may be that the original PSU was damaged, then damaged other components (original CPU, original mobo, new CPU, etc) in the following way:

1. Original PSU was damaged during first "shut down". The other original components were also potentially damaged (CPU, mobo, etc) during this event.
  2. The new CPU was then added to a damaged PSU, mobo, etc, possibly damaging the new CPU.
  3. The new PSU was then added, but to an already damaged mobo and CPU.
  4. Finally, the new mobo was added, but the new CPU was already damaged and has the same overheating problem.

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
0 Likes

• It will shut off in either UEFI or Windows.
  • Yes
  • That's a good idea. I could at least remove each DIMM 1 at a time. I thought of also replacing the GPU because I have other spare ones
0 Likes

Certainly worth trying 1 DIMM at a time and a different GPU.

Let us know how it goes. Hopefully it's not the worst case scenario.

0 Likes

1 dimm at a time did the same thing for each dimm and so did the other graphics card.

0 Likes

Given all the information, my best guess is the "worst case scenario" I described previously.

Orig PSU damaged the orig mobo, orig CPU. New CPU was then damaged by orig PSU and orig mobo.

Last thing you could try would be replacing the RAM, but I kind of doubt it is the culprit.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

This sounds like a dead AIO.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I see now you replaced it. My apologies.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
2DEZstb
Adept II

How many degrees are we talking about, a rapid increase in temperature can happen...my CPU is at 55-60 degrees even after a few seconds, that's nothing unusual with a Ryzen. You changed the CPU cooler, the CPU cooler is correct Contact, have you removed the protective film from the radiator cap? thermal paste ok? bios reset.
Disassemble everything again, clean the thermal paste from the CPU and cooler and make sure again that it is installed correctly... new thermal paste, cooler on it. testing.
try it, if you still have thermal problems, I think the CPU cooler is faulty..
gretting

0 Likes

It increases 1-3 degrees C per second until it gets in the 90s and shuts off.

0 Likes