cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

black screen iGPU Ryzen 9 7950x

processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950x and iGPU, Windows 11

When I opened a notepad, the system, which already had the applications listed below in memory, gave a black screen and the New Teams application remained with a static black screen, obstructing the view.

These are the applications open at the time of the problem: New Teams, Firefox portable, Edge and windows notepad. In the image, the New Teams application with a black screen preventing viewing, this screen does not come out.

New Teams black screenNew Teams black screenZen TimingsZen TimingsDDR5 2x 32GBDDR5 2x 32GB

0 Likes
4 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

roupa_de_trapo, list all your parts. I do not understand why you posted what you did and no useful information. John.
0 Likes

Hi,

• Ryzen 9 7950x
  • 2x DDR5 (photo above)
  • psu Corsair CX600M
  • Asustek ROG STRIX B650E-E
  • I don't have a dedicated graphics card.
  • Air Cooler DeepCool Assassin III
  • Monitor 1 LG FLATRON IPS236 HDMI and monitor 2 SUPERFRAME SFV2409S Display Port

it was difficult to separate the reason for the error: the iGPU is unable to dynamically manage the amount of memory it allocates. This started to happen after updating to the latest BIOS version v2413. It was necessary to downgrade to v2412, but I still had problems such as: random crashes, black screen, flashing lights on the screen, freezing when Windows 11 finished loading. Before upgrading to a higher version, v2412 worked well in dynamic memory allocation of iGPU, zero problems so far.

To try to resolve it, I tried activating this option: HDMI 3.0 Tx SLEW

AMD PBS HDMI 3.0G TX SLEWAMD PBS HDMI 3.0G TX SLEW

Although this option reduced the frequency of crashes, they still occurred after a period of time or when Windows 11 immediately loaded, or even when Microsoft Teams received a notification.

I also tried to control the problem with the graphics curve optimizer, from negative values ​​to a positive value. Despite improving a little, there was also a problem after some more time had passed:

GFX CURVE OPTIMIZERGFX CURVE OPTIMIZER

The next step, which really helped to resolve the issue, was to "lock" the iGPU memory (buffer):

NB CONFIGURATION - BUFFER SIZENB CONFIGURATION - BUFFER SIZE

I tested this option for a long time and the problems really ended, they disappeared.

At the moment, I am testing an aggressive negative value of the graphics curve optimizer (-30), but as it is very recent, I cannot say about stability. But I didn't experience any crash when Windows 11 immediately loaded, or the screen blinked.

0 Likes

roupa_de_trapo, what are you using New Teams for and why? I would recommend you uninstall it  and any other wonder utilities saying they will improve your system. I assume you have contacted your MB vendor about the bad BIOS? I suggest you update your BIOS after it is corrected and exercised by others for a while. I would suggest you do a Clear CMOS and see how that goes. What is the Zen Timings coming from and what do you use it for? Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Initially, the problem had not been detected as being caused by the integrated video (iGPU integrated graphics), it could be some software, Windows 11 operating system update, as well as some hardware problem, as in the case of the DDR5 memory in the images above. Memory was tested with y-cruncher and TM5 (@1usmus) and the memory passed the tests, passing all of them.

Only after several tests did it begin to show clear signs that the problem was only with the iGPU, until I thought about configuring a fixed value for the amount of memory used by this hardware. The result was very positive, it really is a problem that occurs in the iGPU, after the last BIOS v2413 update, which proved to be so unstable that it required an immediate return to v2412. Even so, v2412, which before this update did not present any problems, also started to experience instability on the machine: freezes, black screen, flashing screen, application crashing (New Teams, Edge) and crashes when finishing loading Windows 11. However, these crashes are only due to the video, the cores work normally, there is no problem with the electrical management of the motherboard, even in the optimization profile.

Right now I'm using the lowest possible negative value curve optimizer (-30) and i'm not having any problems, so it's an issue with the iGPU's dynamic memory allocation which, interestingly, didn't happen until BIOS v2412.

There was no need to clean the BIOS, there is no problem with the motherboard, there is no problem with the memory (it passed all the toughest tests), there is no problem with the Windows software (New Teams and Edge) or the Operating System itself. The use of these applications is mandatory in my employment.

Note that I have two monitors, one of which uses HDMI and the other DP. I wasn't able to test much, but when using just the monitor with DP, the problems disappeared as far as I could test, but when using both, the problem returned and was only resolved by fixing the amount of memory managed by the internal graphics (iGPU).

0 Likes