cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Kazching
Adept I

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x idle temps and EDC

So I've had a recent issue which I've not dealt with before so currently my problem is that when I load up my computer I open the AMD Ryzen Master and noticed my temperatures have increased on idle where as before it was 38 - 50. I use windows 11 and had a windows update recently and tried updating but wouldn't let me update unless I updated the bios which I kind of regret doing because I believe these updates could of caused the temperature on idle to shoot up and my edc is sitting on 100%.

I looked at suggestions and put balanced on my battery settings and it does drop, but when I open a game or google it then shoots back to 100% edc and temps are sitting around 50-60% and thats just google. I've not tried no game yet as am worried it can make it worse then it is. I don't really know what to do at this point, I've put fresh thermal paste on and still getting the same issue and removed the radiator and fans to dust it out and put it back in and they are all working fine but this issue still continues. Could anyone be able to help me please?

idle.png

17 Replies

When you changed in Windows Power Plans to "Balanced" did you re-configure the "Processor State" as follows:

Minimum - 5%

Maximum - 100%

If the Minimum is still at 99% change it to 5% and see if that makes a difference at idle.

Because looking at your Ryzen Master the CPU cores seems to be running near maximum speed at idle.

The base clock for your processor is 3.8Ghz yet it is running at 4.6Ghz at idle. The Maximum Boost Clock for your processor is 4.7Ghz so at idle it is running almost at maximum boost.

By the way, whenever you see any RED icons at the top of Ryzen Master that is indicating that your CPU is being throttled or automatically slowed down even if the temperature is below the throttling range by your Motherboard.

My minimum is at 0% and maximum is 100% and when I click restore settings it goes back to normal. It's weird though because even though am still idling it sometimes jumps right up again. My brother has the same issue since downloading the new windows and bios and we do have the same CPU. It's currently at normal temperatures but will do a restart to see what happens. 

Okay thats good to know, thank you for the information. 

I would change the minimum to 5%. Not sure how the processor will react if set at 0%.

But good to know that is seems to be running normally again.

When it jumps back up to high speed again check Windows Task Manager and see if you spot any background program or service that might be causing the issue.

EDIT: Looking at your reply to the other User it is normal for the processor's temperature to fluctuate even at idle since you probably have several background programs/service running all the time.

My 3700x does the same thing at idle. The temperature is constantly fluctuating within 3c-8c at idle.

The Ryzen Master image you posted now looks pretty normal for idle.

Okay I'll set it to 5% for sure. Yeah I will do cause when it did jump up the cpu usage was under 10% so I wasn't entirely sure at the time. Now playing a game its sitting 65-75 degrees but I think this is normal. Will post to show you. The peak speed jumps from 3000-3600 mhz. 

Kazching_0-1675401281603.png

Kazching_0-1675401993453.png

I restored all settings to default once again and restarted and it seemed to fix it this time which was weird cause I did it a fair few times and felt like it wasn't fixing it or only fixed it temporary and went back to what it was doing. Hopefully it sticks to the default settings and keeps it running smoothly again. Appreciate the advice! 

misterj
Big Boss

Thanks Kazching for the Ryzem Master (RM) screenshot. What do you mean by "...put balanced on my battery settings..." It is clear you are not idling.  All the cores are running at 4.6+ GHz. What are you running? Please put all settings on default, reboot and run RM again and post a screenshot of RM. Please do not cut off any of the SS. Your Power Plan should be AMD Ryzen Balanced. Please post all your system components. Thanks and enjoy, John.

What I mean is on the control panel I go into hardware and sound > power options and I have the Balanced at the top which is recommended. Then I have four other options but I don't use them other options. I've restored all the settings and will do a restart now. I don't have the option for AMD Ryzen Balanced only balanced. 

These are my system components:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro 100i RGB Platinum
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB 3600MHz
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Graphics Card: AORUS RTX 3070 MASTER 8G
PSU: Corsair CP-9020131 80 PLUS Gold 850WBalanced.png

0 Likes

I've restored the settings to default I've done this a few times and it seems to be working a lot better then it did before. Temps jump around from 39 - 50 again, but it just was odd because I was dealing with this issue for a day and never had an issue with the pc that was built over a year ago until now. I appreciate the help too!

Kazching_1-1675394103748.png

0 Likes

Thanks, Kazching . Ryzen Balanced power plan should come down with the drivers from AMD. RM SS looks like idle, very good. Please post screenshots of RM both Basic and Advanced views running Cinebench R23. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

The Ryzen power plans are not included in drivers (or required) for the 5xxx series.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Thanks, goodplay, I was afraid of that. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
Kazching
Adept I

Just a quick question it's normal for EDC to hit 100% when playing games? So I was smashing Doom out and most the time it was sitting at 100%. Just curious is all? 

0 Likes

Kazching, normal? Hard to say. Please post a screenshot of RM when this happens. You can increase the limits in RM but you may get a void warranty warning. Thanks and enjoy, John.

It jumps around but mainly sits like this when I am on the game mind you it's on ultra settings and all that. I just find it weird cause it just doesn't seem normal to me as I don't remember it being like this. Most the time my computer on idle is normal now it sits around 38 - 50 degrees, but when playing a game it jumps up like this and sticks around that at times, but sometimes when I turn the computer on it does that 100% edc again even at idle and I tend to fix that problem by going on Control Panel > Hardware and sound > Power Options and see that it's still on balanced but I go on change plan settings and restore to default and it fixes the issue, but I don't change anything and sometimes just goes to high edc and temps for no reason and I have to manually restore again even though it's on balanced. 

Kazching_1-1676476164095.png

0 Likes

It seems to be just a reoccuring problem. Ever since I updated my Bios and Windows it all just started to mess up where as before everything was okay. I updated my bios through dragon center. 

0 Likes
erikovick
Journeyman III

what is the solution, I am new with AMD and I bought the 5800x

0 Likes