cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

xvaim
Adept I

AMD FX 8150 4cores 8threads, 8cores 8 threads before?!? tryin 4 days to fix no result HELP PLEASE!

I'm a simple poor man. In the old times i used to be on intel and Nvidia, but i fall in love with AMD.. ATI at the time.. now im 27years old have helath problems, soo job its a problem.. my left arm gone wrong i cant play with keyboard anymore but i can still use thumb and point finger soo i play with yoystic while im unable to go to work. I live in hard times like other in these day and i cant aford new AMD hardware like ryzen 3600X im in love with or AMD rx 6700 xt? and soo on... these are my budget build PC dont judge me AMD summoners!

Motherboard: ASrock 870 Extreme 3 r2.0

GPU: XFX RX 570 8Gb

Ram: i had 8 1600mhz (2x4Gb croshair vengance) but gave to my dad who is disable retired and have bad govern. ret.salary. .. so i bought 16Gb china...1600mhz

PSU: EVGA 650 GQ

And the problem here

CPU: AMD FX 8150 8-core

I trided everything i know and also with softare, Bios, ect. no result.

i have Win10 64x Pro, and everything worked fine till i got for my Birthday before 18.02.2022, because of my arm gone wrong 3 days before end of 2021...

I plugged the new iiyama G-Master-G2466HSU display and after 2 days while i couldnt understand why my cpu is high in temp. i noticed task maneger... Cores: 4 Logical processors: 8 ?

Someone know how to Fix this? becasuse in device maneger still shows 8 cores...

LP

Matija

0 Likes
2 Solutions

The FX8150 is a more powerful and hotter running processor then the Phenom II

The FX8150 TDP Rating is 125 Watts so you will need a powerful CPU Cooler to maintain if from overheating.  A CPU Cooler rated at minimum of 150 Watts TDP.

Also the FX 8150 Maximum Operating Temperature is 61c. Which means once the CPU Temperature starts reaching or has reached 61c the processor will automatically throttle or slow down.  On my FX8350 which has the same TDP of 125 watts and 61c Maximum Operating Temperature I needed to install a CoolerMaster Hyper212  EVO which is rated at 150 Watts TDP with two fans on the CPU Cooler to maintain it below 61c while under stress.

Most likely once it goes past 70c the processor will probably shut down to prevent heat damage.

But the Phenom II has a TDP rating of 95 watts and a Maximum Operating Temperature of  55c -71c.

If Windows Task Manager is showing 2 cores and 4 logical cores than, yes, half of your cores aren't working.

Many CPU Monitoring software will show the FX8150 as having 8 cores and 8 Threads. I believe CPU-Z shows this. Also in GPU-Z.

But if it shows only 4 cores and 4 threads than again your processor has half of it cores disabled.

Also when a CPU doesn't need to use all 8 cores it will generally park the cores that are not being used until they are needed.

View solution in original post

I have a Zalman cooler its great ... but again its like you said... just the AMD adrenaline showing 4 cores i dont understand .. because it showed 8 before, meaby because i downgraded drivers for better suit mine rx 570... anyway... my girls brother.. half year ago went on rayzen... i would like too and probably new gpu but im satisfied with rx 570.. so today he told me he will gave me his old motherboard.. and cpu

Thanx all for the support, may the force be with you! AMD is the way!

LP

Matija

View solution in original post

9 Replies
xvaim
Adept I

I'm not a liar also my AMD adrenaline software showing 4cores! i dont undertstand. please help

https://mega.nz/file/jcIXkaYB#VAqkrKGLICdq238QH8twFLrBdlONQMKBGqZtg70vzOM

0 Likes
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Check your BIOS setting and see if any of your CPU cores are locked.

Pre Ryzen AMD CPUs would by default have half their cores locked on a new build.

If you recently updated your BIOS this could have triggered the BIOS to reset to factory defaults or if you had a major system crash (like a windows blue screen due to file corruption or a CPU overheat can trigger BIOS to reset to factory defaults.

Its like a BIOS safe mode feature to protect your hardware from damage.

You may have to enter your advanced BIOS settings to check whether or not the other 4 cores are locked. 

Check your motherboards manufacturer website for software that enables you to unlock your cores and adjust your CPU clock speeds.

Thanks I've read all the coments i'm happy you want help me. Recently 5 Days ago before this occured I changed the thermal paste. I also had some problems like... blue screen boot problems (I had made full PC cleaning, also put motherboard out and GPU, everything was in dust)... I've read all about 4 sectors sharing 2cores per sector about FX cpus, but I'm sure im 1000°%  and more cant be true that its a win10 problem showing 4cores??

I bought 8months ago this cpu cuz Phenom II GT1055T 6x didnt support cod warezone, and i still remember replacing cpu and review all settings and in Task maneger it said 8cores 8 logical, also the AMD panel showed 8 cores not 4...

I've set my bios to default, i disabled power savings and soo on, fan full mode, i tried everything... also Msconfig.. set to 8 cores and so on and soo on..

Something went wrong i can tell you.. when i replaced the thermal paste everthing was fine temps around ¸¸30C Clock around 3900 and when boost jump to 4200. and then the problem started.. 3600,3800 no more and the temps 40-45C idle also Task Maneger resurce monitor show CPU* parked.. somtimes 4Cores sometimes 6 cores..

0 Likes

• To view all CPU cores, do the following steps:
    Right click taskbar and open task manager,
    select the performance tab above
    right click on CPU graph and select "change graph to -"
    then select "Logical Processors"
Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Radeon RX 7800 XT, MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE Wi-Fi, 64 GB DDR4.
0 Likes

The FX8150 is a more powerful and hotter running processor then the Phenom II

The FX8150 TDP Rating is 125 Watts so you will need a powerful CPU Cooler to maintain if from overheating.  A CPU Cooler rated at minimum of 150 Watts TDP.

Also the FX 8150 Maximum Operating Temperature is 61c. Which means once the CPU Temperature starts reaching or has reached 61c the processor will automatically throttle or slow down.  On my FX8350 which has the same TDP of 125 watts and 61c Maximum Operating Temperature I needed to install a CoolerMaster Hyper212  EVO which is rated at 150 Watts TDP with two fans on the CPU Cooler to maintain it below 61c while under stress.

Most likely once it goes past 70c the processor will probably shut down to prevent heat damage.

But the Phenom II has a TDP rating of 95 watts and a Maximum Operating Temperature of  55c -71c.

If Windows Task Manager is showing 2 cores and 4 logical cores than, yes, half of your cores aren't working.

Many CPU Monitoring software will show the FX8150 as having 8 cores and 8 Threads. I believe CPU-Z shows this. Also in GPU-Z.

But if it shows only 4 cores and 4 threads than again your processor has half of it cores disabled.

Also when a CPU doesn't need to use all 8 cores it will generally park the cores that are not being used until they are needed.

I have a Zalman cooler its great ... but again its like you said... just the AMD adrenaline showing 4 cores i dont understand .. because it showed 8 before, meaby because i downgraded drivers for better suit mine rx 570... anyway... my girls brother.. half year ago went on rayzen... i would like too and probably new gpu but im satisfied with rx 570.. so today he told me he will gave me his old motherboard.. and cpu

Thanx all for the support, may the force be with you! AMD is the way!

LP

Matija

It is normal for Windows to show 4 cores and 8 logical Cores. It is the way AMD engineered the FX series processors.

The problem is that the FX Series has two cores which works together using common components thus Windows sees it as one core and two logical cores.

So a FX 6 core processor will show up in Windows as having 3 cores and 6 logical cores and so forth.

I have a FX8350 Processor which I am now using on my Wife's computer and it shows the same as you do. 4 cores & 8 Logical cores.

I have a Ryzen 7 3700X processor and Windows is showing 8 cores with 16 Logical cores.

So what you are seeing is normal.

NOTE: Intel doesn't have this issue because Intel cores doesn't share any common components like AMD processors. So Windows actually see Intel cores all as separate cores unlike AMD.

elstaci is right.

AMD CPU's always show twice as many logistic cores as physical cores.

For example I'm running an 8 core Ryzen 7 2700x. Look under task manager or My Computer and my CPU shows 8 physical cores and 16 logistic cores.

@ThunderBeaver 

I believe that the new 5000 series processor now don't share cores any more and are separate. So in Windows it should show for a 8 core Processor as having 8 cores and not 4 cores.

But I am not sure but I believe I read this in the past.