cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

eCookie
Adept I

AMD CPU 5800X3D clocking at only 3,3GHz

For some reason, after upgrading my PC with the Motherboard B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 the clock speed is limited to 3,3Ghz. Benchmarks are 1/3 slower than they should be. I have reinstalled Windows 10 to be sure, because the windows save ran on a I7 7700K before. (I only have the same SSD as before)

I am very thankful for your help!

eCookie_1-1672058751932.png

Data when conducting a Cinebench Multi-Core test. When doing a single core test, only one core is at 50% speed. Idk if that is normal.

1 Solution
eCookie
Adept I

So, it's finally done.

It was actually the BIOS version, I had version 15 installed, now with F16d it's working fine.

@misterj adivsed me to update it before, but I didn't know, that this special procedure was necessary, of saving the filed to a USB-drive and go into Q-Flash mode in the BIOS. I should have made sure earlier, that it was actually updated, after I installed the update files

View solution in original post

15 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

eCookie, please tell us much more about system, like power supply, cooler, OS etc. Please post screenshots of Ryzen Master (RM) both in Basic and Advanced modes running Cinebench R23. Please post only RM shots nothing else. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hi misterj,

I don't know how i go in Advanced mode, so heres what I got:

PC.PNG

• PowerSupply: be quiet! System Power 10 850W
  • Cooler: Core Ocean T38 CPU AIO 360mm (watercooler)
  • OS on 250gb Samsung SSD
  • GPU: AMD Radean 6950 TX
  • RAM: 4 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3Ghz 1,35V

Cinebench R23 Score: ~10800

0 Likes

Thanks, eCookie. You did post Advanced mode. On the left is a button for Basic mode. I need to see that also. Please do not cut off top, bottom, or sides of the SS. Thanks and enjoy.

0 Likes

I really don't know where that is.. I sent you the screen, which shows when I push the "Creator Mode" button.

eCookie_2-1672068418047.png

0 Likes

Thanks, eCookie. I hope you are not running Creator mode. Maybe 5800X3D RM does not support Basic View. I will do some research and get back. Enjoy, John.

RM3970A.jpg

0 Likes

eCookie, the 5800X3D is locked (not overclock-able).  I do not understand what all this means but I don't think PBO can be set, so there is no need for Basic view. Perhaps it boost only on CPB (Core Performance Boost). Are you running any "Enhancement" software or disabled CPB in BIOS? Look in your BIOS and make sure CPB is set to Auto. I will continue to try to understand. Please look for articles on your processor and see how to increase the speed.  Enjoy, John.

eCookie_0-1672136020931.png

CBS is on automatic mode. I've resetted windows and haven't installed such a limitation software.. I appreciate the effort John!

0 Likes

Thanks, eCookie. I have done some research and your processor should run faster. Since there is no overclocking, this must be CPB. Right now I have only two ideas. Please do a Clear CMOS using instructions in the MB manual, then consider installing a fresh copy of W10. What version are you running (winver command in Command Prompt). You might consider opening an AMD Support request. Make sure you get your drivers from here. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I've done everything you've adiviced me to do, I even upgraded to windows 11 on a brand new SSD, but the CPU will not run above 3,3Ghz. As you said, I'll contact the support, when their maintenence phase is over...

Thanks for help,

Elias

0 Likes

Thanks, eCookie. Sorry you got caught them at a bad time. Please let us hear.Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

It is running at base clock 3.4 GHz.  Check into this:

Article Number
CPU-PB2

Automatically Maximizing Processor Performance

Precision Boost 2 is a performance-maximizing technology available in all AMD Ryzen™ and Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 2000 Series processors (or newer). This technology can improve your PC’s performance by raising clockspeeds, which makes the processor—and your applications—run faster. Best of all, Precision Boost 2 is entirely automatic: AMD’s intelligent processors have a sophisticated set of sensors designed to analyze conditions inside your PC and make the “go faster” decision as often as possible.

Even though the technology is automatic, there are still configuration steps you can take with your PC to maximize the performance benefit of Precision Boost 2. Such steps include:

These steps are important because Precision Boost 2 is dependent on several factors including, but not limited to:

• Processor temperature
  • Type of workload
  • Number of active cores
  • Power consumption (watts) from the processor socket
  • Current draw (amps) from the motherboard power delivery circuits
  • Proper firmware and software configuration
  • Operating system optimizations
  • Maximum boost frequency limit (product specification)

When the processor has headroom in these categories, and the active workload requires additional performance, Precision Boost 2 will automatically raise frequencies until one or more of the above limits is reached. When/if the limit is reached, processor frequencies will automatically level off to a steady-state condition for ongoing performance enhancement. Throughout this process, the processor can monitor conditions and adjust frequencies up to 1000 times per second. As a result, achieving maximum boost frequency and the sustained boost conditions observed by you will depend on the application and workload. It is a good guideline to know that light workloads experience the highest boost frequencies, while heavier multi-core and/or sustained workloads are more likely to encounter a limit and receive less boost.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes

Thanks for the answer.

I've updated all driver, including the BIOS Motherboards, but it is still only running at 3,3Ghz, even though everything is working at 100% while performing a benchmark, and the performance is not as good as it should be. Temperature shouldn't be a problem too, at a max of 46 degrees celsius.

0 Likes

Have you got turbo boost enabled.

Here are the specs:

R7 5800X3D.png

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes

As I understand it, this option is automatically enabled in BIOS, which is true for my case. That should be the CPB option.

0 Likes
eCookie
Adept I

So, it's finally done.

It was actually the BIOS version, I had version 15 installed, now with F16d it's working fine.

@misterj adivsed me to update it before, but I didn't know, that this special procedure was necessary, of saving the filed to a USB-drive and go into Q-Flash mode in the BIOS. I should have made sure earlier, that it was actually updated, after I installed the update files