gssoat
Journeyman III

7950X3D mysteriously running below stock speed on prime95 at 61C

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: GTX 4090

CPU: 7950X3D

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-A

BIOS Version: AMI 0805

RAM: 4x32gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 (DOCP disabled because it won't POST enabled)

PSU: EVGA 1300W modular

Case: Fractal Torrent XL

Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 11 PRO, fresh install, updated to latest version

GPU Drivers: whatever windows put on there by default

Chipset Drivers: whatever windows put on there by default

Background Applications: steam, CPU-Z, Core Temp, Ryzen Master

Description of Original Problem:
Everything is on factory default bios settings on a fresh install of windows.
single thread prime95 small FFT runs at only 4.85ghz 1.0v according to ryzen master, but it's supposed to be 5.7ghz
16-thread prime95 small FFT runs at 4.35ghz 0.94v 61C according to Ryzen Master

Stock speed is supposed to be much faster than that and I can't figure out why it's running slower than stock. The cooler is a peerless assassin SE120 and I've never seen it go above 63C with PBO disabled.

Troubleshooting: I've tried fiddling with the overclocking settings but it didn't help much so I reverted everything to defaults.

0 Likes
10 Replies
digipointer0
Adept III

Make sure that your cooling solution is properly installed and working correctly. Check that the fans are spinning and that there is adequate thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink. You may also want to try running the system with the side panel off to see if this improves CPU temperatures. Also, use a monitoring tool such as HWMonitor or CPU-Z to monitor CPU usage and temperatures during a stress test. This can help you identify any issues that may be causing the CPU to throttle. If none of these steps resolve the issue, it may be worth contacting the manufacturer or a professional PC technician for further assistance.

0 Likes
gssoat
Journeyman III

Real Temp and Ryzen Master both confirm core temperatures stay below 65C during any stress test.   It's not supposed to start thermal throttling until 89C.

Although I am a bit suspicious that it is only reporting one temperature, even though there are two separate dies under the lid.

0 Likes
gssoat
Journeyman III

gssoat_0-1683917613475.png

Looks like with 16 cores running prime95 at 4.3ghz with a vcore of 0.97v, it's hitting the 100% of the 120A TDC limit.  If I bump it up to 150A I can get 4.6ghz at 79C.   But nothing will make it run over 5ghz on anything single-threaded

0 Likes
gssoat
Journeyman III

Here's the fastest I could get it to run stable on 16-thread prime95 smallest FFTs with TDC 140A, which is CO -12.  (CO -15 would eventually error on 3/16 of the prime95 worker threads.)  Still only reaching 4.68ghz on all cores, which is much below the expected stock speed.

gssoat_0-1683925307391.png

On single thread it only goes to 4.95ghz (instead of the 5.7 max turbo boost that it's supposed to):

gssoat_1-1683925511594.png
I have a lot of overclocking experience from 10-25 years ago but these newer massively-multicore CPUs with dynamic throttling confuse the heck out of me

0 Likes

set your fclk to 2000 not 1800 , and then set memclk = fclk  . something i saw immedately, also, the bottom photo the person is using a negative 12 undervolt. Have you tested that on all cores?  After you fix the memory issues, and fclk issue, just put a negative 30 undervolt on all cores and boot into windows. Then open rysen master, then open a stress test program and run it.  Pay attention to what cores are boosting the highest etc. thats how you dial in that negative 30 undervolt. Look out for core stretching, and make changes as neccessary. 

Also make sure you look today on your motherboards website, and download the latest amd chipset drivers, and the newest motherboard bios. Pretty much since the 7950X3D came out, theres been one bios update a month, sometimes 2.  It's annoying , but we are dealing with a new platfrom in am5, new ram types for amd in ddr5 ram, and complex hardware cpu types using the 3D cache CPU's .  I was just as frustrated as you were, as probably all of us who like running the new shiny toys. lol. 

For instance today i just woke up, and I got the magic 8F motherboard error code that my motherboard loves to give me off and on for no reason at all. (its one of those reserved codes for the manufacturer, which means they dont know what the issue is) Maybe it doesnt like that fact I have a pcie4 RTX4090 in a pcie5 slot. Its on auto detect, it doesn't do anything to my system except look ugly, because i have to stare at the small led error code numbers. lol. 

Good luck getting everything working. Definately get those drivers in windows correct. As of the last like 4 months, microsoft xbar has gotten every game correct etc. so the 3d V-Cache drivers are working , using the right Cores for the right programs. 

Once you fit all that other stuff, you should then grab project lasso, and you can set everything to run on the high freq cores yourself, etc. 

0 Likes
gssoat
Journeyman III

Updated to the latest bios and that made it even slower.  Now it won't budge above 4.4ghz multithread / 4.6ghz singlethread no matter how high I set the PBO limits in ryzen master -- whether I reset ryzen master and bios to all defaults, or enable PBO, it's all the same.  This is ridiculous, 20% slower than advertised stock speed regardless of thermals and regardless of what I do with any of the "overclocking" settings.  Never buying another AMD CPU or Asus motherboard again.

0 Likes

The maximum boost frequency for Ryzen processors is the maximum frequency achievable by a single core on the processor running a bursty single-threaded workload. 

If the workload you are running use multiple cores, you willl see a lower clock frequency. 

For heavy workloads which draw high amounts of power and create considerable heat, such as Prime95,  you can expect to see a much lower frequency than the peak clock frequency typical seen on lighter single core workloads. This is normal and expected. 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/cpu-pb2

If you were to download and run the CPU-Z benchmark for example, testing 1 core, you should see a higher clock frequency on one or more cores. The OS should choose your fastest core for this type of workload. 

AngryDude988
Journeyman III

Hi gssoat, 

I am experiencing exactly the same issues. Did you find a solution for the problems?

Thanks!

@AngryDude988 The 7950X3D has a base clock of 4.2Ghz, you sure its the same situation?

Maybe its time to open up a new topic with more details about your issue.

The Englishman
0 Likes
Jersey_Johnny
Journeyman III

I know this is an older thread, but I see people still asking questions.   

Nobody has said this, but i Immediately recognized two huge problems with the original post. 

If  you are running a 7950X3D, you don't just install windows and let it be. You MUST get the amd chipset drivers, and keep them up to date off the AMD website or your motherboards website. (your better off getting it from here). 

Im running a 7950X3D C0 @ 5235mhz c1 @5735mhz with no issues, using a dialed in undervolt. 

I didnt see the original guy say he installed the AMD driver package , with the 3d V cache drivers, etc., He didnt even install nvidias drivers for a rtx4090. You also need to install micorsoft game bar which is what tells the system ( I'm running a game use the v cache cores, or im running something thread intensive so it will boost to the higher clocks on C1.  

Some games, windows wont recognize it as a game, and you can manually force it to run on the v cache cores, but game bar has been updated so much they pretty much have that down now without anymore issues.

If you guys are running any X3D chipsets, you should install windows, install micorsoft game bar or xbox game bar for windows, go to your motherboards webstie and install all the lastest drivers, and ESPECIALLY you have to install the AMD am5 chipset installation program. Its what installs all your windows V-Cache drivers etc. It even comes with AMD power managment profiles to make it even easier for you if you didn't already go in and change all of windows power settings yourself.   I also would be installing the newest graphics driver from nvidia but I figured building a PC with a X3D cpu we all know  we should be doing fresh clean graphics driver installs anyway. 

Im using a 360mm NZXT Kraken AIO cooler, and its all inside a corsair airflow case. So temps are no problem at all. 

If you want to have your cpu boosting to higher speeds, you have go into your bios, and just without even trying, enable a negative 30 undervolt on all of your cores. Don't even touch your mulitplyer or anything like that. thats not how the 3d chips work. 

Im saying negative 30 on all cores because everyone I know with our cpu has been able to set that and boot into windows and stress test it etc. You can dial it in later. Then eventually start using project lasso to really maximize your cpu's performance. 

Don't forget even when you have everything dialed in, I dont know anyone with a am5 motherboard who still isn't getting dumb , 8F motherboard errors , etc, when booting into windows. It doesn't do anything, I'm using a gigabyte x670e Aorus Master motherboard. Today I woke up and I have an 8F error code showing. (thats saved for the MB company, but its a vga issue. it literally comes and goes with no explination at all)

I forgot to mention, im using two sticks of trident ddr5 6000mhz ram 32gb. I'm just using its EXPO1 profile, with the normal amd memory kit settings, fclk = mclk 2000mhz, etc.