Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Mr1
Journeyman III

7800X3D - Inconsistent CPU clock indication in Windows task manager

Hello,
I hope you can help me with a problem with my AMD 7800X3D CPU. I have noticed that the CPU clock frequency is displayed differently in Windows Task Manager and other programs, while the AMD RYZEN Master tool seems to provide the correct values (see attached screen shot).

Since I haven't found a clear answer to this problem on the Internet so far, I'm now turning to you in the hope of finding a solution. If you have the correct frequency displayed in the Windows task manager, then there should be a solution for me.

Motherboard ASUS B650E-F, Windows 11 Pro with all currently available updates, AMD Chipset Driver 5.11.02.217 from motherboard manufacturer.

AMD_7800X3D_CPU_Clocks.png

0 Likes
4 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Mr1, it has long been known that Windows does not know how to display CPU frequency. I have never seen an explanation of how it is determine. Please install and use Ryzen Master (RM). Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

@misterj Thank you for your reaction. But this doesn't explains why other tools like CPU-Z also didn't show the right frequency.

0 Likes

Mr1.  I need to see a screenshot of CPU-Z with a specific explanation of what you think is inconsistent. The real problem here is what speed is being displayed. With an 8 core processor, you need to see them all, as RM does. One utility perhaps displays maximum and another shows average. Please be more detailed of what is inconsistent. In your opinion what is the "right frequency"? Thanks and enjoy, John.

FunkZ
Forerunner

As @misterj mentioned, different applications report the CPU frequency in different ways.

Windows will only report the base frequency, 4.2GHz.

CPU-Z will report on the realtime peak single core, unless you're running a validation, in which case it uses the peak all core.

Ryzen Master will report a Max CPU Speed, which is typically a theoretical single core boost frequency based on BIOS PBO settings. You may or may not ever see any or especially all of the cores hit this speed. Additionally it will display graphs of the current realtime CPU frequency based on load.

In short, it depends.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes