cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

bubs626
Adept I

5950X 90c Idle Temp

I have had my 5950x CPU for a while without issue.  About 2 weeks ago all software in Windows started reporting the CPU idling at ~90C.  When load is placed on the CPU the temperature decreases.   The idle temp in Bios is at ~34C.  AMD software, HWMonitor, and MSI software are all reporting 90C idle temp.  HWMonitor does show cores 0 and 4 idling at 90C while the rest are normal.  I am pretty sure this is a software issue but it is messing with my fan curves and was wondering if anyone else has encountered this or has a solution.  I am running the latest Bios and Windows 11 (I have been running Windows 11 for months without this issue).

MB - MSI MAG X570S TOMAHAWK MAX Wifi
CPU - 5950X
GPU - 6900XT
RAM - XPG Spectrix 2x16G DDR4 3600
CPU Cooler - H100i Platinum AIO

CPU Under Load Below:
5950xNotIdle.png

CPU At Idle Below:
5950xIdle.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
bubs626
Adept I

This now has been solved but the root cause is unknown.

I went on vacation and had some general life things that took priority so this was pushed to the back burner for a couple months.  After returning from vacation I noticed CPU temperature is now reporting around 62.8 C at peak.  I did not make any changes and Windows had not auto updated.  Although I am happy that this issue is solved, I am annoyed that I do not have the root cause.  My best guess is a software that was updated without my notice that corrected the temperature reporting.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
Chester1994
Challenger

Are the coolers of your  H100i spinning properly? There might be dust or something making it harder for them to spin.

0 Likes
Deemon69
Elite

The cooling system is somewhat weak for this processor. With PBO enabled, CPU heat dissipation can be as high as 250W, so check out something more efficient like the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 or ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360.

0 Likes

if the temp difference between ccd1 and ccd0 or between one core to the other is so extrem,
there are really only a few causes...

1. physical defect -> warranty

2. Malfunction of a software that has sufficient "rights" on the system to control the voltage/current of individual cores

3.brick bios (/windows....11? )

4.user setup fail:
   incorrect setting made in the bios!
   Transposed digits in the core optimizer or adjusted values but in a hurry forgot to set the right function,like =
   ---> CO undervolting -> per core settings: positive instead of negativ?
   voltage offset instead of negative in the

Ryzen7 5800X 4,95ghz; LLC3; 420mm Liquid Freezer2; Corsair RGB Pro SL 32gb/2 - 3600mhz CL18; Sapphire RX6800 Pulse OC; Asus XG27AQ 165Hz; MSI X570 Gaming Plus PPT:137W EDC:135A TDC:95A; BeQuiet! PP 730W

This is the line of thinking I had.

1) Wanted to ask others about similar issues before going down this road

2) Possible, 4 different software tools in Windows are reporting this high idle temp including AMD's own.

3) I updated the MB Bios after noticing this issue in an attempt to fix.  I thought Windows 11 as well but I do not have an exact date when this started but can say I have been using Windows 11 for months without issue.  I will probably try going re-installing Windows 10 before trying warranty.

4) I am not above user error, but currently everything except the Memory and Fan Curve settings are default.

0 Likes

In power settings make sure Ryzen Balanced is selected..

Processor power management set minimum to 99% and maximum leave at 100%.. 

I found my 3700x with PBO has much lower temps with this set up...

Unless your AIO has gone bad...

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

To me personally it sounds like a CPU Cooler issue. Either it isn't strong enough or it isn't installed correctly or it is defective.

Your Processor's Maximum Operating Temperature is 90c. So once it reaches 90c or above it automatically starts to throttle or slow down to keep it at 90c  or below.

The TDP rating your processor is 105 Watts. So you will need a powerful Air or Liquid CPU Cooler.

Your Corsair AIO CPU Cooler is made to be compatible with AMD ThreadRipper processors that has very high TDP ratings. So that cooler should keep your Processor from ever reaching 90c or above.

I would check to make sure the pump is circulation liquid and running at it maximum RPM and the fans are running at its maximum RPM with no obstructions.

Could possible be a Air lock issue which is preventing liquid from circulating or a pump issue. Could also be the Water Block is not making good contact with the processor.

Otherwise I would open a Corsair Support ticket to see if your CPU AIO needs to be RMA to be checked or replaced. I says it has a 5 year Warranty on it.

0 Likes

I few people have mentioned that cooling is broken or inadequate.  While I appreciate all feedback, I want to call out a few points again.  The Bios reports temp is ~34C and at boot, software in Windows reports temps ~90C at idle.  If the cooler was broken or inadequate I would expect temps to be high in both Bios and Windows, it is not.  Additionally, when I put load on the CPU the temperature goes down.  This does not behave like broken or inadequate cooling in my opinion.

0 Likes

Doesn't the Corsair AIO come with its own monitoring software?

If it shows the same as Ryzen Master and HWMonitoring then something is preventing the AIO from ramping up while overheating to lower the temperatures.

In BIOS there is hardly any load thus the low temperatures but in Windows the processor has more load on it while on idle than in BIOS.

So if the CPU Cooler isn't working correctly under load it will overheat.

Best way to check is by installing a cheap high TDP Air CPU Cooler and see if the temperatures are the same as the AIO. If it isn't and it is cooler that would indicate a AIO CPU Cooler issue.

0 Likes

Yes, Corsair, AMD, MSI, and HWMonitor all report the high idle temp.  Manually turning all fans and pumps to max have no effect on the temp.  However, putting high load on the CPU lowers the temp.  So at the risk of sounding like a broken record, it really doesn’t seem like a cooling issue.

0 Likes

Okay when you find out the fix  for your issue I hope you will post it later on.

0 Likes
bubs626
Adept I

This now has been solved but the root cause is unknown.

I went on vacation and had some general life things that took priority so this was pushed to the back burner for a couple months.  After returning from vacation I noticed CPU temperature is now reporting around 62.8 C at peak.  I did not make any changes and Windows had not auto updated.  Although I am happy that this issue is solved, I am annoyed that I do not have the root cause.  My best guess is a software that was updated without my notice that corrected the temperature reporting.

0 Likes
Exarco
Journeyman III

Hi!

First, sorry for my english, I'm from Spain, and I have no much practice on English languaje.

I have the same problem and I can solve it. I have practically the same specs than you. My motherboard is not the Wifi version, is the normal one.

Well, Our motherboard have two internet-cards, one with 1G and other one with 2.5G, and normally, that two are enabled and operating.

I had my internet conection to the 2.5G one, and as far as I see, normally, the problem goes meanwhile the computer is doing something on internet. Even in idle, the system is checking for new mail, drivers, etc.

Then, after a format the C: drive and a cleanup installation (I was not sure if the 90 dregrees comes for malware or another program doing something wrong), I decided to run and the procesor gets 90 degrees, too. So I cheked my theory and I disabled the 2.5G network card conection on the BIOS and used the 1G one. Internet runs perfectly at the same velocity (around 60 MBytes/sec. Bytes, no bytes) .

In the other hand, I have disable the two Boost System in the BIOS: the core performance boost and the precision boost. Afther that, the system run perfectly even in IDLE. Only I disabled them for prevention. That two options were disabled before disabling 2.5 network card and I see the same problem with temperature. As i have said: I left the two boost disabled only for security.

Is good that put the last version bios on your system. Graphics, sound and chipset drivers too, but, surprinsly, the system run extremly good with the generic drivers that comes with W11.

Cyberpunk2077 runs with RTX in ultra and all spec at maximum marvellous, around 100 FPS. Icarus project runs perfectly, too. Icarus is running with DX12 and all specs at maximum. Sometimes, the core temperature is around 90 degrees, but its normal in these games, and the temperature is prefectly controled by the system, it doesnt reach beyond 90 and turn off the system. Clip Art Studio with a picture in 4K and 300ppp going heavenly smooth , even usiing extremly gigantic pencils with effects. 3DS runs perfectly. Now, meanhile Im writing this message I see that ryzen master is marking 47,75 degrees.

0 Likes