cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Telestasis
Adept I

5800x3d temps spike at 90c then crash my computer

Recently upgraded to the 5800x3D and, as others have reported the temperatures are high. I’ve managed to get the system to boot but over time temps will spike causing the pc to crash. After crashing it refuses to even POST.

I’m trying to find ways to undervolt the cpu to keep temps down. I’m also using the stock cooler so I plan to upgrade that. The issue is that a lot of the solutions others have posted aren’t available in my bios because amd have disabled them with this chip. 

I’m using an ASRock B450 m/b. It’s old but it says it’s compatible. Updated bios, reseated memory, and unplugged various components. The only issue seems to be with the cpu. 

My psu is 650M which is low but should (and has) worked. 

Another potential issue is my mixed ram. DDR4  3200 Ballistix and Corsair. 

Now that I’ve managed to get the system to boot, do you have any suggestions about how I can reduce the voltage to the cpu or otherwise reduce temps or know of why the system randomly temp spikes?

Any help is appreciated. 

Ryzen 7 5800x3D B450 ASRock Steel Legend
0 Likes
1 Solution
vialli100
Forerunner

Hi, I watched a couple of videos and others are hitting 88.8c with the stock cooler on that mobo.

So, you could be right about the stock cooler not being enough cooling power.

You should always try to use a matched pair of RAM.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
vialli100
Forerunner

Hi, I watched a couple of videos and others are hitting 88.8c with the stock cooler on that mobo.

So, you could be right about the stock cooler not being enough cooling power.

You should always try to use a matched pair of RAM.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.

Ok, thanks. Heading out to get a new cooler. Going to also try to undervolt using Prime07 undervolt guide on GitHub 

0 Likes

Swapping the cooler worked.  Also used the undervolt solution on GitHub. PC turned on and ran fine overnight. Marking this as solved. Thanks