Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

RobSmith
Journeyman III

4800U / 4800H design defect affecting most of devices

Dear AMD,

About two years ago I bought a brand new laptop with 4800H and I had issues with it ever since.  I used it very lightly and occasional due to my main PC so I have no chance to catch the severe stability issue - Green Screen (of Death) every one to three days. Now when I have to drive it daily, I found it impossible to use due to fact that all my work can be gone at any random moment of time.

Searching for solution I have found (just on first page) that almost every manufacturer (ASUS, ZOTAC, GIGABYTE, BEE-LINK, GenMachine) have this issue and it getting worse over time.

https://community.amd.com/t5/pc-building/green-screens-on-gigabyte-brix-gb-brr7h-4800-ryzen-4800u/m-...

https://forum.bee-link.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=85647

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/green-screen-crashes-on-pn50-with-4800u/td-p/446534

I think you should really know about 4800 flaw at this point  and come with a solution that can let people permanently fix it.

Please DO NOT give generic answers like:

1 Reinstall Windows

2 Update drivers

3 Check for viruses

4 Make RMA

5 Change RAM

I am not using windows and I cant make RMA because my barely used laptop is out of warranty.I have put different RAM and it obviously make no difference.

What should you do is to escalate this defect to the engineering team, find the root cause and purpose a solution even if it cause slowdown. I will be happy with temp fix and some bios / drivers / microcode update. I paid over 1000 euros for a laptop that has defect CPU. I am very tempted to make a complaint to European Commission to see if they agree that you know about this design defect and did nothing all that time.

0 Likes
2 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

RobSmith, this is a user Forum and we seldom see AMD employees here. Please open an AMD Online support request. Thanks, John.

0 Likes

Might not be a defective processor but rather possibly a bad batch of defective processors when made at the factory.

If the processor was truly defective than all those symptoms would occur on every hardware that processor was installed in, correct?

Just guessing but I imagine over half a million laptops or PCs have those processors installed. If it was defective than those manufacturers of laptops and PCs would be spending huge amount of money on Warranty tickets to replace the processors.

If that was the case than AMD would be well aware of any possible defects in the processor because the manufacturers would be breathing down AMD neck to fix the issue.

Plus the Manufacturers of Laptops and PCs have their own engineering departments that can verify if the issue is a defective processor thus notify AMD.

So far I haven't heard of any recalls on those AMD mobile processors from AMD nor any articles from Tech sites mentioning those processors as being defective.

You live in the EU so you have automatically a 2 year Warranty from the EU Retailer under EU Consumer laws.

You should have used your laptop more often during the 2 year Warranty range to make sure your laptop was working correctly. But in your case, you were negligent in that respect.

Now the 2 year EU Warranty has expired and now you decide to use the laptop extensively and find out you have all types of major issues with it.

I would believe many EU Retailers would be complaining to the European Commission and AMD if they have a large percentage of laptops and PCs returns under Warranty due to a defective mobile processor.

EDIT: Since you are not using Windows drivers for your AMD IGPU that could be the reasons for your green screens and crashes or instability.  Most likely it isn't the processor but the Linux drivers that are causing your problems.

All your issues are due to the IGPU and not the actual processor. The IGPU run on AMD Graphics driver so if you have a unstable or incompatible graphics driver you will have graphic or video issues such as the ones you are having.

0 Likes